Can DaZip Contents Go In The Override Folder?

RyanFialcowitz

I Have A question Can't you rename an ERF so that it goes last they do go in Alphabitecal Order. Wouldn't say putting a ZZZ in front of them fix that sorry I am really a Newb but just a thought.

Of course you would have to rename all of them for it to work I think.

It works that way for folders in the override directory, but strangely not for sub folders- where it is reversed.

Correct. The ERF has to be in a folder to affect it's priority via the last-alphabetical method. (And IIRC, loose files and loose ERFs in override are overridden by files in folders.)

I've read the exact opposite, that files not in folders inside the override directory take precedence over everything.

Rather than debate 'I recall' vs 'I read', I just tested it in-game, in a fresh, otherwise unmodded install.

I installed Kirkwall Exports (files in a folder called 'kirkwall_exports'), with the Cousland blue retexture of the female leather Orlesian armour from 'Texture Me Like on of your Orlesian Armours' in a folder called 'zz_texture_me_ TEST', and the white Theirin retexture of the same items loose in the override. This is what I see in-game:

1926794-1558837510.jpg

The textures in the last alpha position folder took precedence over the loose-in-override textures.

Thanks for testing that!

I wanted to be sure my information is accurate, so I'd rather spend the time to check than to rely on either my increasingly faulty recall or someone else's anecdotal telling.

While I was at it, I double-checked whether the last-alphabetical rule applies to folders nested within a sub-folder (as it was stated earlier in the discussion that the opposite is true) and in my testing, the precedence is still given to (for example) a folder called 'zz_new_texture' over the folder called 'aa_new_texture', when both folders are nested within a folder in override... I'll be happy to be proven wrong, though.

I'll also note here that the generally accepted rule that files in override/toolsetexport are always given precedence is not entire accurate, as, in my testing, I found that files in

toolsetexport/zzz_new_texture took precedence over those in zz_texture_me_ TEST/aaa_new_texture,

zz_texture_me_ TEST/zzz_new_texture took precedence over those in toolsetexport/aaa_new_texture,

and finally, zz_texture_me_ TEST/new_texture took precedence over the files in toolsetexport/new_texture.

o_O :ohmy: :huh: :confused: :wallbash: :unsure:

This is absolutely horrifying! I've always accepted that /toolsetexport was top banana, so to speak... that's what more experienced modders were saying when I started playing the game, and I had no reason to question that information... but now that I've looked at it critically, and done some actual testing, I can see that the conventional wisdom is actually flawed, and I regret having promulgated that flawed information. :sad:

[edited to remove nested quotes]

Edited by theskymoves

I Have A question Can't you rename an ERF so that it goes last they do go in Alphabitecal Order. Wouldn't say putting a ZZZ in front of them fix that sorry I am really a Newb but just a thought.

It works that way for folders in the override directory, but strangely not for sub folders- where it is reversed.

Correct. The ERF has to be in a folder to affect it's priority via the last-alphabetical method. (And IIRC, loose files and loose ERFs in override are overridden by files in folders.)

I've read the exact opposite, that files not in folders inside the override directory take precedence over everything.

Rather than debate 'I recall' vs 'I read', I just tested it in-game, in a fresh, otherwise unmodded install.

I installed Kirkwall Exports (files in a folder called 'kirkwall_exports'), with the Cousland blue retexture of the female leather Orlesian armour from 'Texture Me Like on of your Orlesian Armours' in a folder called 'zz_texture_me_ TEST', and the white Theirin retexture of the same items loose in the override. This is what I see in-game:

1926794-1558837510.jpg

The textures in the last alpha position folder took precedence over the loose-in-override textures.

Thanks for testing that!

I wanted to be sure my information is accurate, so I'd rather spend the time to check than to rely on either my increasingly faulty recall or someone else's anecdotal telling.

While I was at it, I double-checked whether the last-alphabetical rule applies to folders nested within a sub-folder (as it was stated earlier in the discussion that the opposite is true) and in my testing, the precedence is still given to (for example) a folder called 'zz_new_texture' over the folder called 'aa_new_texture', when both folders are nested within a folder in override... I'll be happy to be proven wrong, though.

I'll also note here that the generally accepted rule that files in override/toolsetexport are always given precedence is not entire accurate, as, in my testing, I found that files in

toolsetexport/zzz_new_texture took precedence over those in zz_texture_me_ TEST/aaa_new_texture,

zz_texture_me_ TEST/zzz_new_texture took precedence over those in toolsetexport/aaa_new_texture,

and finally, zz_texture_me_ TEST/new_texture took precedence over the files in toolsetexport/new_texture.

This is absolutely horrifying! I've always accepted that /toolsetexport was top banana, so to speak... that's what more experienced modders were saying when I started playing the game, and I had no reason to question that information... but now that I've looked at it critically, and done some actual testing, I can see that the conventional wisdom is actually flawed, and I regret having promulgated that flawed information. :sad:

I don't suppose there's any chance you know how to edit the companions specializations?

I do not, sorry. I don't recall that being one of the things set in UTC files, though, so I suspect it's either a GDA or scripted. :sad:

ETA that I just took a brief look in the toolset at the character files for the followers, and some have their starting specialization enumerated in the 'Class' field ( Zevran/Assassin, Leliana/Bard), but none of the Warrior or Mage companions have a specialization there... so your guess is as good as mine and probably better.

You might want to take a look at the tutorials for creating new followers, on the toolset wiki... there may be something that explains how specializations are, ummm..... specced.

Edited by theskymoves

1926794-1558837510.jpg

Thanks for testing that!

I don't suppose there's any chance you know how to edit the companions specializations?

I do not, sorry. I don't recall that being one of the things set in UTC files, though, so I suspect it's either a GDA or scripted. :sad:

Sigh, thanks. Also, I'm giving a bunch of your mods a go when I get around to starting this game.

Edit

So, I'm trying to get Qwinn's Fixpack (Which apparently conflicts with freaking everything!) to work with ZevranA.S.A.P.- but it wasn't working. It didn't even work when I downloaded the different script suggested by Qwinn. The Fixpack script was in ZFixPack, the ZevranA.S.A.P. one was in ZGameplayOverhaul. Now, unless my public education has failed my again the second should have taken precedence. This was not the cause. ZevranA.S.A.P. would not work at all until I renamed Qwinn's version of the script.

Edited by RyanFialcowitz

I'm not conversant with any of those mods, and placing conflicting scripts in override is not something I'd ever do. Have you asked any of this in the comments for Qwinn's mod? He's the person who would know exactly what the conflict is and why it isn't working as expected. :ermm:

Edited by theskymoves

1926794-1558837510.jpg

Thanks for testing that!

Sigh, thanks. Also, I'm giving a bunch of your mods a go when I get around to starting this game.

Edit

So, I'm trying to get Qwinn's Fixpack (Which apparently conflicts with freaking everything!) to work with ZevranA.S.A.P.- but it wasn't working. It didn't even work when I downloaded the different script suggested by Qwinn. The Fixpack script was in ZFixPack, the ZevranA.S.A.P. one was in ZGameplayOverhaul. Now, unless my public education has failed my again the second should have taken precedence. This was not the cause. ZevranA.S.A.P. would not work at all until I renamed Qwinn's version of the script.

I'm not conversant with any of those mods, and placing conflicting scripts in override is not something I'd ever do. Have you asked any of this in the comments for Qwinn's mod? He's the person who would know exactly what the conflict is and why it isn't working as expected. :ermm:

My point was more that the load order system used in the game is fickle at best.