How do I change the load order in Vortex.

jshull49
Go to solution Solved by HadToRegister,

LOOT does get it right almost all the time. And on the few occasions where LOOT's info is off, the ideal solution is to report the error so it can be fixed and everyone can benefit from the corrected load order.

The problem with an easy "drag to change load order" option is that people who don't know what they are doing will use it without thinking. And then helping them fix a problem becomes very difficult because nobody knows how they've messed things up. Vortex's rule system allows you fix the problem, but makes you actually think about why this mod has to load after that mod. Plus it gives you control down to the individual file.

Guest deleted34304850

This is my first time coming back to this tab since I made that comment, I hadn't realised I still had it open. Luckily, I've been able to sort out the issue independently.

Gadgez, on 24 Oct 2021 - 4:06 PM, said:

It's no good when a mod is telling me I need to change the load order for it to work, and clicking "sort" doesn't actually change anything.

one of many detail free posts that offer no proof, no errors, no nothing. just something you've made up out of thin air because you lack the ability to understand what you're doing.

give us a clue - what mod is telling you this? and what game, because i've never, not once, not ever seen what you have described in your rather brief post.

Reaching a conclusion based on what's in front of you isn't something I'd call "making it up out of thin air." The simple fact of the matter is that when clicked "Sort," the numbers indicating the load order of the mods did not change, and the problem persisted.

The problem in question was based around a mod for Diamond City in Fallout 4 that expands the city with new areas, which was conflicting with another Diamond City mod based around updating the textures and graphics.

The expansion mod said to move the load order to be after any other Diamond City mods to resolve flickering and disappearing models, which is what brought me here in the first place.

As Showler said:

Specific information would be helpful to give specific instructions, but in general if you need a mod to load before or after another mod and LOOT isn't doing it you can use the "rules" interface to make the needed change.

However, it would have to be a case where LOOT has gotten wrong information somehow and that is rare. It's actually possible that the information you have been given is wrong instead.

I did end up using the Rules option to manually set it to load when it should, and wish I'd bothered sticking around to see this reply (thank you for your attempt at helping, that's on me) but I do remember it being a pain to use, having to hunt around for the different mods and remember what numbers were what, when I'd much prefer to be able to simply drag and drop to move the order around.

The fact that manually changing the load order via the Rules option because the Sort option wouldn't did in fact resolve the issue tells me that the information I was given was not wrong.

I fully acknowledge that I made that post from a time and a place of frustration, but stand by the opinion that it could have been made easier to make manual changes.

read your post again.

you clearly state a mod told you to change the load order for it to work.

you change the load order for plugins - mods are not plugins. plugins are not mods.

i would guess, as you are yet to provide any actual information that both plugins were in the DEFAULT group?

all you needed to do was move the plugin for whatever mod (you still never named them) to a group that loads AFTER default. problem solved.

so all your moaning about the load order not changing was because you were using the tool incorrectly. not a suprise, it happens a lot. once you do that - your issue about load order is resolved.

@AugustaCalidia Yes, I've used that a couple of times in the time since, but my god does it scroll slowly and it doesn't let you use your own scroll wheel while using it :sweat:

@1ae0bfb8 Now that you draw my attention to it, I can see how the group setting can be utilised and be very helpful indeed.
When I said "a mod said this needed to happen" I was referring to the support page in the listing on the Nexus site, and not making a distinction between mods and plugins because I don't move much in these spaces, from my perspective the plugins are just what some specific mods utilise to work - when I said "the load order of the mods did not change" I was referring to the load order of the plugins. I didn't think at the time that that needed clarification, since, as you say, one has a load order than can be changed, and one doesn't. Clearly I've been mistaken about a lot.

• 4 months later...

I hate to necro but.....

I'm in the middle of dealing with an issue between Convenient Horses and Better Vampires. The author of Better Vampires specifically says on his website that if there is an issue that cannot be resolved try "placing his mod at the bottom of the load order", Not only that but I ran into an issue with a Map mod years back and the author of that mod also told me to do the same thing and it fixed the issue. People please check your information before going of on others.

I've used loot for years but there are instances where hands on is the only way to fix something.

I used the drag and drop method for the Map mod when we transitioned to Vortex and it worked very well.

Mod authors saying to load their mod last is a lazy way to avoid helping with conflicts. If it were me, I would any such mod to the "late loaders" group and be done with it.

• 2 weeks later...

@Gadgez

I'm having the same problem with the same mod (Diamond City Expansion) right now as well. I'm really struggling to fix it. I've gone through the steps of setting up its own group in the manage groups area so that DCE would theoretically load last and I've also gone through my entire load order and set rules so that DCE should load after literally every single plugin in my load order in Vortex. Neither has worked and I'm still getting the conflict. Do you recall what you did that fixed the issue for you? I'm pulling my hair out. I like Vortex and I'm really trying to get the hang of it but this was soooooo much easier in the antiquated NMM. :(

This is my first time coming back to this tab since I made that comment, I hadn't realised I still had it open. Luckily, I've been able to sort out the issue independently.

Gadgez, on 24 Oct 2021 - 4:06 PM, said:

It's no good when a mod is telling me I need to change the load order for it to work, and clicking "sort" doesn't actually change anything.

one of many detail free posts that offer no proof, no errors, no nothing. just something you've made up out of thin air because you lack the ability to understand what you're doing.

give us a clue - what mod is telling you this? and what game, because i've never, not once, not ever seen what you have described in your rather brief post.

Reaching a conclusion based on what's in front of you isn't something I'd call "making it up out of thin air." The simple fact of the matter is that when clicked "Sort," the numbers indicating the load order of the mods did not change, and the problem persisted.

The problem in question was based around a mod for Diamond City in Fallout 4 that expands the city with new areas, which was conflicting with another Diamond City mod based around updating the textures and graphics.

The expansion mod said to move the load order to be after any other Diamond City mods to resolve flickering and disappearing models, which is what brought me here in the first place.

As Showler said:

Specific information would be helpful to give specific instructions, but in general if you need a mod to load before or after another mod and LOOT isn't doing it you can use the "rules" interface to make the needed change.

However, it would have to be a case where LOOT has gotten wrong information somehow and that is rare. It's actually possible that the information you have been given is wrong instead.

I did end up using the Rules option to manually set it to load when it should, and wish I'd bothered sticking around to see this reply (thank you for your attempt at helping, that's on me) but I do remember it being a pain to use, having to hunt around for the different mods and remember what numbers were what, when I'd much prefer to be able to simply drag and drop to move the order around.

The fact that manually changing the load order via the Rules option because the Sort option wouldn't did in fact resolve the issue tells me that the information I was given was not wrong.

I fully acknowledge that I made that post from a time and a place of frustration, but stand by the opinion that it could have been made easier to make manual changes.

Guest deleted34304850

you dont need to do that. just put the plugin in the late loaders group and thats it.

note - i said plugin - not mod - go to the plugin page double click the plugin - assign it to late loaders group. sort. go to mods - deploy - done.

• 5 months later...

V. annoying when supposedly expert sites discuss an interface and their interface is nothing like the one I'm using. Makes a joke of support and help.

Here is the equivalent screenshot for me - I don't see any autosort or sort button

Probably because that's a picture of the "mods" tab, not the "plugins" tab. You can manually sort plugins, mods are sorted entirely by file overwrite rules.