Giving Sten A Specialization

RyanFialcowitz

Interesting well you seem to have more knowledge than I do. wish I could have been more help but let me think on it.

No worries- I appreciate the help. There has to be some file that controls it- but the modding system is so unfriendly as to make it overly difficult to find, if this had been a Bethesda game I would have finished this mod hours ago.

LOL Not me this is my first Game to mod ever

In all seriousness, I feel very sorry for you. Try modding by hex editing like with Diablo- that's the worst.

See I'm over 50 and my mother got sick back when I first found this site about a year ago and while I was taking care of her I downloaded a bunch of mods but never had the time to look at them. After she passed I lost interest but now I'm back at it and trying my hand so Hopefully I will learn...

But you might check the .XLS sheets in the tools and see where that Specializtion is in the 2DA files then make a GDA that adds one for Sten just a thought

OK I may have found the Problem I'm not sure and it's because I just look at things in the Race Base 2DA Sten isn't in the same category as the rest of the Party. They are all Human Elven or Dwarven right and have Player race assigned 1 while Qunari have Player race assigned 0. I'm not sure if this helps or not but that is the only difference I have found so far.

OK If I am correct and you should ask some one else or try this.

Go to the AL_Sten.xls look at Starting abilities you need to create a GDA changing it to 22 abilities at the top and Adding the first Spec Talent in what ever group you want to give him....... Or just change one of the Talents in his tree if that is possible in the GDA.

Edited by Bikerdruid

Just in case anyone stumbles onto this thread in the future I figured out a way to do this.

Normally, you're supposed to get two specialization points in the Origins campaign and one more in the Awakening campaign. There's also a bug, or perhaps a feature, that allows you to get a fourth in Awakening. This allows each character to get three specializations. Sten is normally limited to only one specialization point and therefore just one specialization. Obviously Two Spec Sten allows for a second point- but that still leaves him one behind everyone else.

However, I noticed that if I had a mod that altered exptable.gda and exptable-gxa.gda I could get the third point in the Origins campaign- even though the level cap hadn't been raised or anything. The mod in question was Unlock All 25 Tactic Slots- for some reason the mod author gave a third point which the original file didn't have. So, exptable.gda allowed for three points. The player could get all three but everyone else only got two. I have no clue why this is. So, I downloaded another mod called Level 50 which obviously raised the level cap. On it's own it didn't help in my quest. However, I found that with either mod alone Sten at max level would only get two points. However, if I combined exptable.gda from Level 50 and exptable-gxa.gda from Unlock All 25 Tactics Slots for some reason I'll never understand Sten got three points at max level.

I still think if you created a GDA that changed the starting abilities and gave Sten his point at lvl 7 like everyone else it would be the easiest fix. But then again I'm the new guy here I may be barking mad on that one because it would be common sense and therefore probably won't work LOL. I have noticed this system isn't very easy to learn.

Edited by Bikerdruid

I still think if you created a GDA that changed the starting abilities and gave Sten his point at lvl 7 like everyone else it would be the easiest fix. But then again I'm the new guy here I may be barking mad on that one because it would be common sense and therefore probably won't work LOL. I have noticed this system isn't very easy to learn.

Which file would that be? I ask because I couldn't find it.