Struggling SOOOO much with Vortex!

So I am going to try and be fair, but I will be expressing the same frustration that many are having using Vortex.

So about two weeks ago I decided after a long wait to try out Vortex, thinking by this point it would be just as easy to use as NMM. Boy was I wrong!

I have been modding for over five years now, and through those years I learned one major important lesson; modding has a steep learning curve. Well the same rings true for this new mod manager, except it's even higher. For most, NMM was fun to use because it took a lot of the "critical thinking" out of the equation. Modding your game was simple, click the mod manager download button on the site and voila the mod was installed to your game, for the most part. It wasn't necessarily that simple, but close. Not so much anymore with Vortex, albeit this function is still possible though. Problem is, it took me several youtube videos and several hours to figure this out. It seems to me that what the devs are trying to accomplish is a mashup of both MO and NMM. If you're a 10 year old kid trying to mod your game like you did with NMM well im guessing they are throwing a tantrum right now.

For right now Vortex is guaranteed to turn off a lot of users of nexus, especially the younger crowd. Obviously i'm frustrated like many, because I am going to spend the next 6 months or even longer trying to master this tool. Each day I learn something new, but I still can't get any of my games and mods to work. I have installed and deleted Vortex, seven times now because this process is so frustrating. I want so bad to keep chugging along until I have it figured out, but there are moments when I want to shoot my monitor and never play another pc game ever.

I get it, I am not the smartest, but I am also far from dumb. So please tell me what I am missing? Selfishly I want it to be simple. The mature side of me knows it going to take time, and questions and experimentation and frustration and anger. I watched Gophers vids on using this program, over and over, and i'm still completely lost, cause it never works for me the way he does it on video. I am sure most people are going to ask me, what specifically am I struggling with? To be frank, every got damn thing from the very beginning. I mean I need my hand held, with a bib and helmet on. I tried to add The Witcher 3 and it wont let me add the correct folder; bin/x64/TheWitcher3.exe. I mean I can go on for hours on every issue. So like I said help a brotha out and somebody point me in the right direction, i'm so lost. Is there anybody else out there that is in the same boat, I can't be the only one experiencing this frustration.

@TheLionHearted27

A few days ago, in a very well written post in this forum, a member argued that Vortex has dumbed down modding whereas NMM allowed for a hands on, "critical thinking" approach to modding. Interesting, don't you think?

I tried to add The Witcher 3 and it wont let me add the correct folder; bin/x64/TheWitcher3.exe.

I've not tried to mod any of the Witcher games yet, but at least for other games you'll normally specify the game's root folder, in case Vortex doesn't auto-detect the game, and not the executable when it's located deeply into a sub-directory.

So if you've got the Steam-version of The Witcher 3, I would guess you'll use "...\steamapps\common\The Witcher 3" and you'll need to do something similar if you've got the GOG-version.

I have the GoG version. Vortex had no trouble setting it up.

In the Dashboard, it says my target is I:\Games\GoG Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt GOTY\bin\x64\witcher3.exe.

Start in I:\Games\GOG Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt GOTY\bin\x64

I only have about 6 mods, but they installed and work fine.

Did you let Vortex find your game or set the path manually? Take note: The Witcher 3.exe is not a folder. X64 is the folder it wants.

First off thank you for all the responses that were of some use to me. Second 1ae0bfb8 you need to stop being an A-hole. I have read many of your responses to other posters and you answer with the same tone, every time. I am not blaming anyone or anything or speaking for anyone else, but their are people who are having issues with Vortex, and are struggling to use it. We know where to go for help, but your condescending tone needs to stop seriously. YOU don't get to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't be doing. I simply was trying to find others that ARE struggling, so that I could re affirm myself that I am not a complete idiot, and that I am not alone in my struggle. This is a discussion forum is it not? I work two jobs most days and have only a small amount of time to mess around with vortex, so yes I was ranting, but thats my freedom, get off your high horse son. Had you read down a bit further I already knew you would respond exactly how you did hence the reason I put this specific sentence in: "I am sure most people are going to ask me, what specifically am I struggling with? To be frank, every got damn thing from the very beginning. I mean I need my hand held, with a bib and helmet on." So with that, thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Also thank you to the others who responded with actual help.

@rmm20 I tried to let vortex find my game but it couldn't, so I tried manually. It didn't go exactly like how gopher did it for some reason and i've been watching his vid and following it to the T. I just need more fiddling time with it, I am sure i'll

eventually get it to work.

@Augusta Calidia i do find that interesting. In my opinion NMM took a lot of it out for me and made things simple. I bet once I understand Vortex and learn it, I will come to the same conclusion as all of you.

Wither 3 comes in a variety flavors - GoG, GOTY, etc. I have vague memories that the name of the executable may vary between them.

If Vortex does not recognize the name of the executable, that would keep it from recognizing the game.

So make sure yours is named witcher3.exe in the x64 directory. Also make sure the Witcher 3 extension is enabled.

Only other thing to check is the Games tab under settings. Make sure your game drives are listed.

Maybe even add your game tree as a specific directory path.

My fear is that if Vortex can't find your game by searching - manual specification may not get a match.

It is not enough to tell Vortex "Here is a game I want to manage". Games all have specific requirements for mods, so Vortex has to know what game it is.

@TheLionHearted27

Could you please try and elaborate what exactly it is you found confusing? Do you reckon it is not simply down to Vortex being different to what you are used to in the first place?

As with NMM, you click the download with manager button, wait for the file to download and hit "install" - I am not entirely sure where it starts to get confusing for you but I would like to hear more details.