[WIP] The Siege of Firebase Zulu

someguy2000

All,

I've made significant progress this week, with all the pre-battle quests successfully implemented. As a result of this work, I decided to release a quick and dirty teaser trailer.

Once I begin recruiting voice actors I will release a "proper" trailer with full narration and more lucid structure, along with some insight into the plot. This teaser is more or less a collection of pre-battle action sequences which portray the mod's current state. There is still a lot of work left, as you may notice the conspicuous absence of LOD or other imperfections. Just bear in mind this is still very much a WIP.

Thanks for the support!

Edited by someguy2000

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow looks great!

I can't wait to play this mod.

Thanks for the support!

Right now I'm undertaking a necessary bit of tedium - navmeshing the primary worldspace. I've also started on the foundation for the battle sequence, which is built on a jerry-rigged rendition of the Hoover Dam script, along with a number of tweaks to reinforce the unpredictability and force of base assaults during the climactic showdown.

As I posted in the NVBII comments, I'm working to get the main battle hammered out this month - after that it's all downhill in the scripting department. While I will doubtlessly take a break in October to obsess over the X-Com remake, I think Zulu is still on track for a release in early 2013, possibly February. We'll see. Getting the actual siege implemented is the last major obstacle - everything else afterwards is familiar territory (side quests, new items, voicework, etc.), and so it should go smoothly. I may seek out assistance on the forums if my scripting goes awry, as I'm aiming to create human wave assaults without crashing the game. There is also more dialogue to write, but that's hardly a chore - it might be my favorite part of the entire process. :thumbsup:

Anyway, back to scripting!

Edited by someguy2000

Gabriel77Dan over at the BS forums had some good questions posed from the perspective of Legion players:

It's nice that there is a option to side with the Legion but seriously? Another NCR heavy mod?

*sigh*

When oh when is someone gonna do a Legion mod that shows their civilized life.

Even if we get to side with legion it's still only their war parties that we get to see.

Good luck on the mod I suppose but I'm not even remotely excited to see even more NCR content.

The cause and effect seems interesting, but that it revolves around NCR.. Leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Like I said, good luck.

And to any other modders out there (OP included) when is someone that is capable of it gonna make a Legion-heavy mod that shows their civilized life on their side of the border?

I would if I could but I'm [censored] at using the GECK, it can randomly close down on me and I have too many personal issues in my real life to take care of.

I barely find time/interest ,or have energy when I do, to even continue on my gang mod, so something like this is not within my competence.

One question though, do you plan to force any perks onto players? Ala OWB and Fallout 3 DLC's?

Cause that's something I think you should avoid. Not everyone wants forced perks after completing a quest.

My response:

@Gabriel77Dan,

This is Caesar's Legion in name, but Marcellus' Legion in practice (Tribune Marcellus is the Legion commander in Zulu). If anything, I have worked to humanize the Legion through my characterization of Marcellus, and I am trying to expand on the likeliest outcome for the Legion, as explained by several notable NPC's (Marcus, namely) - one way or another, Caesar will die, and a bloody power struggle will ensue. Furthermore, the Legion currently operates in accordance with Caesar's vision. If Lanius succeeds him, then the Legion assumes a more brutal character. Marcellus is the anti-Lanius. You can probably see where this is heading. To be clear, I don't hate the Legion, but I do hate Lanius. We all know the Legion is J.E. Sawyer's vehicle for a grand Hegelian dialectic - the antithesis to the NCR's thesis. I want to present a stronger antithesis than what we've been exposed to thus far, as Caesar (and certainly not Lanius) has never persuaded me to give him my allegiance while role-playing, even for my most self-serving characters (though I typically play as an anti-hero).

Also, we have precious little insight into what the "civilization" inside Arizona looks like. Personally, I think it is more like the Empire than we may know - they make it a desert and call it peace.

Additionally, I do not present an idealized image of the NCR, as I'm sure occurs in more Manichean renditions. In my opinion, the NCR is comparable to the U.S. government during the gilded age, with all the benefits and flaws that entails. The command structure of Firebase Zulu is just one, insignificant facet of the NCR, comprised of myriad characters with their own personalities, strengths, and flaws. Some of them love the NCR, a handful of them hate it, but most are just doing their jobs and trying to survive. They are not jingoistic automatons, to be certain.

The Siege of Firebase Zulu is not a grand statement on political philosophy, but is instead concerned with much more basic themes that manifest in war: morality, survival, heroism, and bonds forged in the most terrible circumstances. I am a veteran, and this project is as personal as anything I've worked on, and it lacks the frivolity of Bounties (not a criticism, a fact). This mod is not about the NCR or the Legion, but war, plain and simple. If someone is willing to dismiss it based on superficial notions of allegiance, then it's their loss. In the meantime, I will continue to pour every ounce of effort and personal experience into this, to make it a credible, worthy addition to the narrative of Fallout: New Vegas. I hope you give it chance.

Oh, and there will be perks, but they depend on the player's choices during the climax. Yes, I suppose they are "forced", but as you mentioned, so are several vanilla variants. If the developers do it occasionally, I take that as license to mimic them. Don't worry, these are nothing unbalanced - minor buffs to faction-specific damage and what not. Nothing more.

I hope that addresses any questions surrounding my views on the broader NCR vs. Legion conflict and its depiction in the mod. If not, post away.

Edited by someguy2000

All,

I've made steady progress on the base and several dialogue-intensive sidequests. I've decided to postpone implementing the primary battle until the sidequests are completed.

Based on the current build, the final release could have upwards of 2,000 lines of dialogue, eclipsing the total from NVBII. The pre-battle, primary quests (not counting side quests), average about 1.5-2 hours right now, depending on play style.

I also managed to take some promotional images, if you'd like a snapshot of the mod's development to date. Thanks for the support and encouragement. I will keep you posted on progress down the stretch.

Wow looks great!

I can't wait to play this mod.

Thanks for the support!

Right now I'm undertaking a necessary bit of tedium - navmeshing the primary worldspace. I've also started on the foundation for the battle sequence, which is built on a jerry-rigged rendition of the Hoover Dam script, along with a number of tweaks to reinforce the unpredictability and force of base assaults during the climactic showdown.

As I posted in the NVBII comments, I'm working to get the main battle hammered out this month - after that it's all downhill in the scripting department. While I will doubtlessly take a break in October to obsess over the X-Com remake, I think Zulu is still on track for a release in early 2013, possibly February. We'll see. Getting the actual siege implemented is the last major obstacle - everything else afterwards is familiar territory (side quests, new items, voicework, etc.), and so it should go smoothly. I may seek out assistance on the forums if my scripting goes awry, as I'm aiming to create human wave assaults without crashing the game. There is also more dialogue to write, but that's hardly a chore - it might be my favorite part of the entire process. :thumbsup:

Anyway, back to scripting!

Scrpting huh? Wow good luck! I do have one question though. About how big will the completed mod be? As big as BBD?

Edited by JUSTIYT1

@ JUSTIYT1,

It does not have the sheer scope of BBD - that is an enormous "mod" (DLC-caliber, really). Much of this mod's mojo is in the base and its garrison, with a lot of emphasis on characterization of NPC's, roleplaying, and a lucid narrative structure (clear "ending"). These priorities are greatly influenced by player feedback from NVBII.

It ultimately highlights my three favorite features - dialogue, violence, and consequences for player choices. Those will be in abundance.

Interesting! Keeping an eye on this one!

Can I ask though, you say that this contains 5 worldspaces, yet the mod takes place around a distant outpost.

In what form do these 5 worldspaces take? Your screens show what appears to be a Sierra Madre sized area. Is there explorable wastes outside of this area, or is it quite "locked down"?

Edited by tizerist

Interesting! Keeping an eye on this one!

Can I ask though, you say that this contains 5 worldspaces, yet the mod takes place around a distant outpost.

In what form do these 5 worldspaces take? Your screens show what appears to be a Sierra Madre sized area. Is there explorable wastes outside of this area, or is it quite "locked down"?

Good question, so I'll give a general description of each worldspace:

1. Ghost Canyons - Located west/northwest of Rorke's Pass/Firebase Zulu, Ghost Canyons is the perilous route the player must take to reach the firebase. It is only accessed during the mod's opening quest.

2. Rorke's Pass - This rugged pass is the site of Firebase Zulu, which is positioned on a prominent mesa overlooking I-40. The worldspace includes several caves, as well as access to two other worldspaces.

3. San Salvador - Located to the south of Rorke's Pass, San Salvador is the site of a small community of ghouls. Only accessible during the quest, "Guns for San Salvador."

4. Madero Canyon - A mid-sized worldspace east of Rorke's Pass, it contains several caves, Forward Operating Base Omega, and eventually, the Legion encampment.

5. Ripley's Ravine - This small worldspace consists of a bridge spanning a deep ravine. It is only accessed during the quest, "A Bridge Too Far."

In short, there is no "lockdown" until the player willingly chooses to start the battle (this is in the form of a multiple-choice menu), in order to encourage exploration and completion of sidequests (which are critical to success). Prior to commencing the battle, the player can leave Firebase Zulu at any point, though he/she will void the contract (and bring about other consequences) and end the mod prematurely, but the option is on the table.

Once the siege begins, the player is limited to certain areas of Rorke's Pass, until certain conditions are met (don't want to spoil anything). The details and conditions of the siege are still a WIP.

I hope that answers your question. Thanks for the support!

Edited by someguy2000