Upgrading to Vortex - Will I Lose My Mods

j2tymez

As the title suggests, I am curious about what will happen if I adopt Vortex. The instructions say to first uninstall my old Nexus Mod Manager before installing Vortex. Won't this cause me to lose my mod archive? Will previously downloaded mods somehow transfer to Vortex? I would love to upgrade to the new system, but I've been modding Elder Scrolls and Fallout for years. I have mods that are no longer available, but that I consider essential to my game. It just seems like to big of a potential loss. Can anyone please clarify? And if I don't upgrade my mod manager, can I simply download everything manually and then just move from desktop, or can nothing new be added (I realize I can easily test this myself, but question just came to mind)?

You do not need to uninstall NMM but you will need to uninstall the currently installed mods. You are able to transfer them to vortex as well but this will destroy any current save games. Vortex is great but don't switch to it unless you are ready to reinstall your game.

@j2tymez

Ditto the remarks of 1ae0bfb8 and DoctorKaizeld. Good advice there.

As for the backup utilities mentioned by 1ae0bfb8, I would highly recommend the free version of Macrium Reflect. I have also used Acronis, but I find Reflect more versatile and nimble.

Finally, where did you find instructions stating that you first need to uninstall NMM before installing Vortex? I ask, because those instructions are incorrect. I'm not aware of any such instructions in the Vortex Wiki and Vortex Knowledge Base.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually had a pretty successful transfer with my Skyrim Se. I copied the exact mods I used with NMM over to vortex. I then deactivated and uninstalled all the mods with NMM, and installed them with vortex. Some minor troubleshooting and learning, it was all pretty basic, but once I loaded up my save, i mean things were good. I was then able to remove all the folders where NMM stored mods and depend completely on vortex. I don't know about Skyrim LE, that one seems to be ahh, you know, just more sensitive when it comes to CTD and such. I have left my Oldrim with NMM for now at least until I get all I can from that current play through. Best of luck, and remember, so you lose a save, it sucks starting from level 1, and not having all the neat stuff and skills, but i mean you get to play it yet again am I right?

• 7 months later...

Best of luck, and remember, so you lose a save, it sucks starting from level 1, and not having all the neat stuff and skills, but i mean you get to play it yet again am I right?

It more than just "sucks"...it's unacceptable in many situations. Some people could have thousands of hours, or even tens of thousands of hours played with some games. It's absolutely not acceptable to lose a save. Why in the world are people acting like this isn't a big deal? It's literally one of the biggest deals when it comes to gaming. If the team behind Vortex ACTUALLY designed and developed it with the mentality that it's not a big deal to lose a save game then I don't even know what to think.

*sigh* I just realized this is an old thread. You know, one of the big problems with reddit is the "archiving" of old threads. I get it, it's to prevent necroing threads but I mean...you find something on the internet, you read it, and you just HAVE to respond. You really want to either contribute something or argue something, or at least upvote it or downvote it or something and on reddit you just can't. It's a big problem with reddit and the irony is that it was developed to SOLVE another problem. Anyway, I hope I'll be forgiven for necroing this...If my dumb ass had paid attention to the date before replying, I wouldn't have even bothered, but I just was so frustrated by people acting like losing a save isn't a big deal that I didn't even notice the date. I was just focused on the idea that I had to say something...it's like a bad itch that I need to scratch. I honestly don't understand why I couldn't just ignore it but...just, I hope anyone reading will understand :confused:

It more than just "sucks"...it's unacceptable in many situations. Some people could have thousands of hours, or even tens of thousands of hours played with some games. It's absolutely not acceptable to lose a save. Why in the world are people acting like this isn't a big deal? It's literally one of the biggest deals when it comes to gaming. If the team behind Vortex ACTUALLY designed and developed it with the mentality that it's not a big deal to lose a save game then I don't even know what to think.

Since not even NMM knows what NMM has done to mods files, it's very unrealistic to expect another mod manager including Vortex can manage deciphering what NMM has done.

Example, NMM "forgets" to remove files and can have corrupted ini-files tracking active mods etc. In addition where's no indication in NMM that files from mod A is "overwritten" by mod B, meaning unless you wrote this down when you installed the mods 6+ months ago I wouldn't expect you'll manage to replicate your NMM-choices in another mod manager.

Just to clarify: You do not lose your savegames, no matter which mod manager you're switching to or from.

No mod manager I've ever heard of touches your save games unless you specifically tell it to. And you will be able to load and continue a savegame as long as you have the right plugins installed and enabled at the time you try to load the savegame. What method you use to install the plugins and how often you installed, broke, removed and reinstalled them doesn't matter in the slightest.

• 7 months later...

In my opinion, Vortex is not completely ready for primetime.

1) Vortex doesn't recognize any of the mods you currently have installed, BUT it does store them in the same folder and it replaces your config files that are in those folders. That seems nonsensical. Config files don't alter Vortex so why revert them to base? And why not recognize the mods that are clearly installed? I'm sure there's a logical reason, but it evades me.

2) Multiplayer mode doesn't seem to work. The concept is kind of, eh anyway. Who would I be sharing my PC with? My family, sure, but not likely my friends. "Hey man, can I come to your house and play XXXXX? Oh, and can I change your configuration too?" "Ah, nope. You want to play on my PC, you play with my configuration." In any case, why when I have Multiplayer enabled does it not show the mods I installed on my login and my child's login? I don't have to fool with anything in a manual installation, just switch Windows logins and the mods are all there. The concept is nice, sure if my kid wanted a different configuration they could switch to theirs, but if I log into Vortex with my account under either Windows logins my config should show up, it doesn't. At least that is how I would like it to work.

3) Config files should be editable from Vortex. It's nice Vortex will let me disable/enable mods without deleting the mod folder, so why not make the users life really easy and let us edit the config files too?

4) Once I have my mods setup and the config files edited to my liking, how often am I likely to change it? Almost, never, and I still have to go to Nexus Mods and find new mods and get updates. So, where is the overall usefulness of Vortex? What am I missing?

5) Oh, and if I login to Windows user1 and login to Vortex user1 and I answer the survey, then I login to Windows user2 and then login to Vortex user1, I shouldn't be asked to a) setup Vortex again and b) take the survey again. This is the cloud storage era, save my preferences to the cloud. Google Drive can do that, so can Vortex. That would make spending $50 on the pro version valuable.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

In my opinion, Vortex is not completely ready for primetime.

1) Vortex doesn't recognize any of the mods you currently have installed, BUT it does store them in the same folder and it replaces your config files that are in those folders. That seems nonsensical. Config files don't alter Vortex so why revert them to base? And why not recognize the mods that are clearly installed? I'm sure there's a logical reason, but it evades me.

2) Multiplayer mode doesn't seem to work. The concept is kind of, eh anyway. Who would I be sharing my PC with? My family, sure, but not likely my friends. "Hey man, can I come to your house and play XXXXX? Oh, and can I change your configuration too?" "Ah, nope. You want to play on my PC, you play with my configuration." In any case, why when I have Multiplayer enabled does it not show the mods I installed on my login and my child's login? I don't have to fool with anything in a manual installation, just switch Windows logins and the mods are all there. The concept is nice, sure if my kid wanted a different configuration they could switch to theirs, but if I log into Vortex with my account under either Windows logins my config should show up, it doesn't. At least that is how I would like it to work.

3) Config files should be editable from Vortex. It's nice Vortex will let me disable/enable mods without deleting the mod folder, so why not make the users life really easy and let us edit the config files too?

4) Once I have my mods setup and the config files edited to my liking, how often am I likely to change it? Almost, never, and I still have to go to Nexus Mods and find new mods and get updates. So, where is the overall usefulness of Vortex? What am I missing?

5) Oh, and if I login to Windows user1 and login to Vortex user1 and I answer the survey, then I login to Windows user2 and then login to Vortex user1, I shouldn't be asked to a) setup Vortex again and b) take the survey again. This is the cloud storage era, save my preferences to the cloud. Google Drive can do that, so can Vortex. That would make spending $50 on the pro version valuable.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

LOL WUT?

I think you're talking about a different Vortex, where is MULTIPLAYER in Vortex?

Or are you talking about SHARED or PER-USER setting?

If so, then you have that setting set wrong. (Assuming you're using Vortex)

I don't understand your rant about "Multiplayer Mode" sharing your setup with Friends, that doesn't even make sense

When you keep mentioning "Config FIles" what exactly are you talking about? are you talking about INI files? config.json files? what?

Also, What Survey are you answering in Vortex after you log in?

There's a "Pro Version" for Vortex for $50?

WHAT?