Can't create new class, help?

kittentit

hi, i am a newbie to creation kit and i have scoured the internet for a solution to my problem but have found nothing... i know that the way to create a new class is to right click the drop down window after "class:", but nothing happens for me. i can left click it and edit the current class, but that is not what i want to do. i want to create a new class from scratch! i was thinking i could just rename the ID and save the stats, and maybe it would save it as a new class, but it just says it will rename the form... for context i am using a laptop with only a touchpad, not a mouse. please help...? is there any other way to make a new class?

Right click on Class. Once all the different classes load in the Object Window, left click anywhere in the Object Window. (Don't left click on the word "Class" because nothing will happen.) A little window will pop up, giving you options like "New, Edit, Duplicate, Delete" etc. The very first one is New, and that's the one you want. Select "New" and get started making your own custom class.

Or, if there is an already existing class that you want to use, but just want to change a couple things on it, do NOT do so on the original class. Instead, right click on the class you want to adjust so that it's highlighted in the Object Window, then left click it and select "Duplicate". Rename the class to whatever you want. Double click, or left click and select "Edit" to adjust whatever it was you wanted to change. That way you can put your customized NPC in that class without changing or disrupting how other vanilla NPCs AIs work in the game.

You can duplicate things from just about anything in the CK. Form lists, spells, quests, packages, etc. You can also do it with NPCs under "Actors", but it's better to create a new NPC completely by scratch rather than duplicating it and modifying the duplicate. Otherwise there's a good chance the AI of your custom NPC could get screwy because somewhere it still secretly thinks it's the original NPC and not the duplicate. Just a little tidbit for future use. :)

Edited by sammidraco