[LE] Certain Scenes Refuse to Run

I have a great many custom scenes to initiate conversations between certain NPCs. My problem is that all but a few of them are playing properly.

I have tried: removing all conditions, I have checked their aliases multiple times, I have combed through each part of every scene, raised and lowered the Priority for each quest and the Story Manager nodes look great, but I cannot get these characters to talk to each other for anything.

The funny thing is, when I look at all the details (Story Manager, Quest files) for the scenes that ARE working, they are set up EXACTLY the same as the ones that are not working. :wacko:

Given this strange phenomena and Skyrim's reputation for being fickle, it is indeed possible that these conversations actually do function properly, but I have been unable to witness them doing so in order to verify.

For an example, I have ten new conversations for Gorm (of Morthal). He has managed to run three of them (but oh so rarely! Confound it, Gorm!). >:(

Now, given that Gorm's schedule tells him to sit at a particular table at the Moorside Inn, I did wonder if it could be a radius issue. To find out, I edited his Moorside package and made it a sandbox situation. I gave him plenty of room to roam and made certain that the Random Conversations box was ticked. But he still will not speak to Jonna (the barkeep).

Every once in a blue moon he will deign to utilize his new dialogue with certain other NPCs, but it is far too rare an event and as I mentioned above, I have already tried raising and lowering the priority of the quests, to no avail.

As tempting at it is to blame Gorm for all the trouble, there are other conversations with different NPCs who have no trouble chattering away with some characters, but are completely silent with others. :sad:

I am utterly out of ideas. Any insight would appreciated.

Scenes are very tricky to manage through story manager. Dialogue events will only play if the actors are near enough each other and at least one is not in idle state. Idles prevent scenes to happen.

If the same actor is part of different scenes at the same place the SM decides how long it takes until this actor is allowed to be in a scene again. I couldn't figure out how to tell the SM to alter this value.

You didn't wrote what scenes you are using. In the alias tab you need to check the box optional for the actor and in the SM the quest must be set as shares event and must be placed below every other quest that does not share an event.

Dialogue events should not be raised in priority. I experienced that when I raised the priority, the scenes were playing, but the npcs were not talking or greeting the player anymore - I don't understand how this could be, but when I set the priority back to 50 as usual, all worked fine again.

I experienced that you can't put the same actor in hello events and dialogue events - none of the scenes will work. So use either hellos or dialogue events but not both.

Change location events trigger only if player changes the cell - best from interieur to exterieur or vice versa. I know nothing about script events.

I also experienced the same you described - scenes were setup exactly like the ones that work and they don't fire. Sounds stupid, but after a few weeks when I had altered nothing it works suddenly like a charm. I have no explanation but that ck doesn't recognized the changes. Sometimes it helps to shut down the pc and try a few days later again...

It would help if you would be more precise because there are many possibilities of setting up scenes and they all are different.

What exactly do you mean by what scenes I'm using? All the quests are all set for Actor Dialogue Event and the Scenes consists purely of dialogue; I haven't set any action packages to them. The Scenes are all marked for "Begin on Quest Start" and Stop Quest on End".

In the Alias tab, I have Actor1, Actor2, Gorm and Jonna listed.

Actor1 and Actor2 are both are flagged "Allow Reserved". In Fill Type "Get Matching Reference" and "From Event" (with Actor Dialogue Event in the box) are marked.

"Event Data" has Actor1 linked to Actor 1 and the same follows for Actor2 being linked to Actor 2.

In the Match Conditions tab, I have two instances of GetIsID linking to both Gorm and Jonna. Gorm is listed atop and has "OR" checked. Jonna is listed below Gorm and is listed as "AND". Both have a Value of 1.00.

Back in the main Alias tab, the Gorm and Jonna aliases are both flagged "Allow Reserved" and "Allow Reuse in Quest". Their Fill Type is "Unique Actor" with a link to their namesake.

When you mention marking an alias as Optional, which ones do you mean? Both Actor1 and Actor2, or Gorm and Jonna? Or all four?

And thank you for responding, Tasheni. I truly appreciate it. :sweat:

You're welcome.

Sorry, my fault, question should have been "what events are you using", not scenes. I answer you out of my memory because I have no access to my gaming-pc (holidays).

You don't need the flags "allow reserved" and "allow reuse in quest", only if in the scene is something stored that will be reused in another quest or if this actor is reserved by another quest, it's okay to have them in this quest too. This applies to all the aliases. (cite of this tutorial: http://skyrimmw.weebly.com/skyrim-modding/making-dialogue-scenes-skyrim-modding-tutorial-by-jac

) Despite it's stated in this tutorial that the aliases will not fill if you don't use Allow reuse in quest, I never use that but everything works fine for me.

For Gorm and Jonna aliases check the box optional. If the fill type unique actor doesn't work, set it to specific reference. Because you set the actors that participate with "Get Matching Reference" and the conditions are either Gorm OR Jonna. This tells the SM already which actors are part of the scene and the SM uses automatically either Gorm or Jonna to iniciate the dialogue. This is the way how it works in my mod, but I experienced a lot of crazy things with ck I can't explain and are simply not logical for me.

Hope that helps a bit :wink: Greetings

Edited by Tasheni

I am going to kill Gorm! :mad:

I took your advice and started by marking both Jonna and Gorm as Optional. This unfortunately did not work. I removed the Optional markers for the time being and decided to change Gorm's schedule again. I say "again" because my past attempts have all failed; that man is glued to his precious bench. :verymad:

I edited the cell and gave him his own personal marker right by the bar. I told him to come in an hour early and idle specifically at that marker. He would not. He was also supposed to sandbox about the room. He would not. He did decide to go back to the longhouse a full hour earlier. I have checked and rechecked multiple tutorials. The packages are stacked in the correct order and their timestamps are in proper alignment. WHY is he so in love with that bench!?!?! :wallbash:

Jonna doesn't have this problem. I can have her meet with her brother Falion in the marsh with no problems whatsoever, but Gorm the mighty housecarl cannot be pried from his precious bench. :dry:

Long story short (too late!), I've decided to try making Jonna stand near Gorm's beloved bench to see if that will allow the two to speak. :wacko:

To add insult to injury, during my barrage of save-reloading Gorm did decide to speak with Lurbuk and Benor. So at least I know how their new conversations sound...

And thank you again for responding back, Tasheni. It is very kind of you to do so while you are on holiday. I hope you are having a pleasant time. :happy:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit: IT WORKED! :dance: :dance: :dance: Giving Jonna some sandbox markers did the trick. It took three save reloads, but Gorm finally spoke with Jonna!

I feel such relief. It feels like I've been waiting forever to hear their dialogue in-game. :D

Edited by Lollia