Request For A Simple Mod

Ayabro

While browsing the New Vegas mods, I couldn't help but notice there were mods to replace Centaurs/Worker Ants with Feral Ghouls, and gathered they were relatively simple mods that anyone with a modicum of coding/modding ability could do (So basically, not me) so I'm coming with a simple request.

Would someone make a mod that replaces bloatflies with....anything? Geckos or some other low-level enemy, like Feral Ghouls or Mole Rats. But I have a ridiculously violent fear of bloatflies. I absolutely hate those motherf*#@ers, and just seeing one on my radar freaks me out a little. This was a major problem in Fallout 3, if you recall the amount of those gross bugs in that.

If someone were willing to make such a mod, I would be eternally grateful, and it would make New Vegas an even better game, for me at least.

I completely sympathize. I have a crippling fear of insects combined with intrusive thoughts, so seeing one usually leads to my brain showing me even more. Accidentally hitting the VATS button when one is nearby is horrifying.

I've got lots of experience with the GECK, and I'd love to help you out! Only problem is, I'd potentially have to look at a lot of bloatflies. A quick look in the GECK shows that there are 68 of them placed in the world, not including the legendary one, or any that are spawned in via a script. (Like the bark scorpions that occasionally appear near Goodsprings.)

To spare myself from having to look at them, I could probably write you a script that disables any that get loaded in. They'd get vaporized before you even had a chance of seeing one! Doing it that way would rob you of some EXP, though...

But right now, I've gotta get to bed. After breakfast, I'll have it written up in no time!

EDIT: All done! What I ended up doing was making a quest that runs in the background. Every two seconds, it scans for any bloatflies within a large radius around the player, disables them, and deletes them. The quest will automatically start itself when you start a new game, but if you want to use this with an old save, you'll have to activate the quest manually.

To do it manually, enable the developer console if you haven't already, install the mod, and load up your save file. When you're in-game, press the ~ key. The game should pause, and you'll be able to type things into the lower left corner of the screen. We don't know exactly what needs to be typed yet, because the first two digits of the quest's ID is based on what order the mod is getting loaded into the game. What we know so far is...

StartQuest ??000B01

If you're using a mod manager, your mods should look something like this...

FalloutNV.esm - 00

DeadMoney.esm - 01

HonestHearts.esm - 02

Whatever combination of numbers or letters appear next to the mod is what we're looking for. So if its index number is "0A", you'd type "StartQuest 0A000B01" into the console, and that would get things going in your current save file. Just be sure to save once you've done that!

Oh jeez, I almost forgot the download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=Fly+Killing+Aura.esp

(If this link doesn't work, I'd have no problem getting the file to you some other way! I was going to upload it to my Google Drive, but then I was a little worried that link might give everyone access to my stuff. I've never linked to my personal Google Drive before, so I have no idea.)

If you have any questions at all, just ask! I really hope this helps!!

Edited by punchbattle

Well, I'd like to start by saying thank you, thank you so very much. The main issue I'm seeing here is....I don't use Mod Managers. Mod Managers and I....we don't get along to well. Everything I do with mods and the like is done manually. I've gotten pretty good with it. So what would I need to do with this ESP in order to enable it manually, rather than using a mod manager?

EDIT: I went to the Dropbox file, only to find out "This file does not exist" so I think something might be wrong with Dropbox.

Edited by Ayabro

Try this link!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zYwUCzllqnZnfqlMNxVuJLwQvO0OMqfe

Since I've never had to get a mod's index number without a mod manager, this is only a guess, but give this a try: if you have the GECK, load up every .esp and .esm you're using in your save file plus the fly killer mod. Once that's loaded up, type "questflykiller" (without quotes) into the Object Window's filter. Expand the tab between "Editor ID" and "Count", and that should reveal the quest's 8 digit Form ID. It'll look something like ??000B01. That should hopefully display the correct ID number you need to use with the StartQuest command.

(Hopefully those instructions are coherent. It's hard to concentrate where I'm at right now.)

Edited by punchbattle

I followed you with no issue until that little bit about tab expansion. When you're talking about the GECK, you mean the console, right? Where you press ~ and mess around with codes? (I'm not real fantastic with the terminology, I just sorta.....do things.)

Oh! You probably don't have the GECK. (It's the New Vegas game editor.) But I have another plan! This one can't fail. OK, so fire up your save file with all the mods you normally use plus the fly killer mod, press ~ when you're in-game, and from here, you'll begin the dark ritual. Basically, just type every combination possible until it accepts the command. You'll know it worked when you hit enter and it doesn't spit error text back out at you. In fact, it won't spit out any text at all.

StartQuest 00000B01

StartQuest 01000B01

StartQuest 02000B01

StartQuest 03000B01

etc.

It shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes. If it goes past 09, instead of moving on to 10, 11, and so forth, you start plugging in letters.

StartQuest 0A000B01

StartQuest 0B000B01

StartQuest 0C000B01

One of them will work! Eventually! I'm so sorry this has been so hard to set up.