Theory of Relativity?

Fkemman11

Could someone help me understand this? I am writing a book and am trying to figure out how time will be measured in the future when we are living on different planets. Will the galaxy be divided up into time zones like we have now? Or will it be much different?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which part? :)

Our clock here is based on the time it takes for the earth to make one complete revolution about its axis, and a year is one revolution around our sun.

In the future, when (if?) we expand to other planets, it will likely be pretty much the same as it is here. There will be 'local time', and then there will be "Earth Standard time." Local time will likely be more important, and folks will base their schedules on the local time......

I suspect a lot will depend on just how long it takes us to travel between planets. If it is measure in days/hours, EST will have some relevance. If it takes years...... then EST simply won't be a factor at all.

Which part? :smile:

Our clock here is based on the time it takes for the earth to make one complete revolution about its axis, and a year is one revolution around our sun.

In the future, when (if?) we expand to other planets, it will likely be pretty much the same as it is here. There will be 'local time', and then there will be "Earth Standard time." Local time will likely be more important, and folks will base their schedules on the local time......

I suspect a lot will depend on just how long it takes us to travel between planets. If it is measure in days/hours, EST will have some relevance. If it takes years...... then EST simply won't be a factor at all.

Well, since the speed of light is constant and time "warps" (or something idk), wouldn't it be the standard for time measurement? Though, I'm not sure how that could be done or whatever. I mean in space or on another planet, you have to calculate relevancy, right? I can't wrap my head around spacetime.

What we know of as The Theory of Relativity has been picked apart by new discoveries in science.

It's going to be better understood what the new space travelers lives are going to be like if you remember high school science classes for sophomores.

The old Theory of Relativity is only one part of a two parter. The studies for the future of outer space travel, and living on other planets requires the other part of school lessons to enable a better understanding your question.

The Electronic Universe by Thomas Findlay is a good prep course which will give children insight to what eventually will be part of their daily studies with a bigger purpose then just learning a craft in computer sciences.

Time will pass at the same rate on any planet surface. For the most part..... It is during travel that things get weird. Of course, that assumes that you are traveling in normal space, and sub-light velocities. As you get go faster, time passes slower...... Of course, we can only manage a tiny fraction of the speed of light at this point, such that is would take decades to get to the nearest star. (averaging about .1 C) Not exactly practical. :smile: Before interplanetary travel becomes actually useful, we need to be able to do MUCH better than that.... Even at the speed of light, the nearest star is still 4 years away....... (and theoretically, we could never even come close to that speed, because of the energy required to accelerate to that speed..... Numbers get truly stupid as you approach C.)

Edited by HeyYou

It won't even be possible to arrange time as we have it on earth. Theorists have tried to come up with some theories on how to do this and have never been able to except one theory. If you could move at the speed of thought...as in as soon as you think it you are there. And there is only one being to which that possibility has ever been ascribed.... he who shall remain nameless on the Nexus.

Time will pass at the same rate on any planet surface. For the most part..... It is during travel that things get weird. Of course, that assumes that you are traveling in normal space, and sub-light velocities. As you get go faster, time passes slower...... Of course, we can only manage a tiny fraction of the speed of light at this point, such that is would take decades to get to the nearest star. (averaging about .1 C) Not exactly practical. :smile: Before interplanetary travel becomes actually useful, we need to be able to do MUCH better than that.... Even at the speed of light, the nearest star is still 4 years away....... (and theoretically, we could never even come close to that speed, because of the energy required to accelerate to that speed..... Numbers get truly stupid as you approach C.)

Not saying I believe all of this is feasible, but It is pretty interesting.