Dawnguard...Castle Volikhar won't open

JeremeW5257

Has anyone else had trouble opening the castle door to Serena's home? The old dude says "Serana is back" but I can't open the door to enter the castle. She won't go in either. I thought is was related to my followers (I had 3 followers), but I dismissed them and still nothing. I even went back to before the castle was "discovered" and dismissed all my followers, and it still didn't help. I saw a few posts online about this problem, but I never could find a solution.

I can't be the only one experiencing this.

when you get off the row boat with Serana walk up the bridge almost to the meddle of it and stop and wait for her, she'll approach you and say so listen I'm going to go my own way for while when we get in there and she'll wont to take the lead, let her, the gate fence to the castle should open the old guy might mumble at you, entering the castle a vampire dude well be inside the door and say how dare you trust past and he'll interrupt himself and run to the balcony and announce Serana's return, walk down to the dining area and stand at the end of the long rug, let Serana and her father speak to each other and when there done approach closer to Harkon and he'll give you a choice, either be a vampire lord or refuse and be banished as a hunted mortal!..

The wiki's where useless with word for word dialog interactions, the paragraph above is from memory

There are several youtube walkthrough's for this quest

Owe when Serana approach's you on the bridge three lines of dialog well be on her, choose are you ok and avoid any early dialog about her vampire or have you thought of curing yourself, leave that tell the main quests for dawnguard is done and harkon is dead and your at fort dawnguard

Edited by sinnerman69

I've tried it several times now. Here's what is happening...

I land on the island with Serana. She gives me her "speech" about shutting my trap and let her do the talking. We walk up the hill to the castle door. The old dude opens the gate, but never acknowledges that Serana is standing there. He doesn't give his speech either..."Blah Blah Blah...Serana has returned". She looks at me, he looks at me, but they never interact with each other. Now another vampire is stuck on the outside of the castle door...trying to enter, but can't. I can talk to him but he just says..."Don't talk to me meat".

I can click on the door but it never opens. I've never experienced a bug like this one.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I was having this same problem and I spent a few hours searching for answers and found nothing. I did figure out a clean work around though.

The quest code for "Bloodline" is DLC1VQ02, so what you can do is open the console and type:

movetoqt DLC1VQ02

It will teleport you inside the castle and you will be asked your name by Lord Harkon. Press ESC to get out of the conversation and then go walk back to the entry door (you may or may not see Serana)- I didn't. This should trigger the "Bring Serana home" part of the quest to finish (it did for me). The last part of the Bloodline quest is to talk th Harkon, so you can then go back to him and finish the conversation. With that conversation the Bloodline quest is over and the next one starts. If you do not ESC out of the conversation then it glitches and Serana gets banished with you outside the castle (depending on choice) and if you look at the quest log Bloodline will be grey (completed) but the objectives will not be met. Everything worked fine the first time I played and if you need this workaround then all you will miss is about 20seconds of greetings as you follow Serana inside and to her father. I hope this helps.

i have the same problem and the thing i do is to press the console click on the door or the standing fire place , its code appears and then write player.moveto

the fire place code is this 03017d5d i hope this works for you .

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if people are still having this issue or not, but throwing it out there, so it's simply out there.

So, Serana won't open that 'home' castle door for you huh?

After all my gathering of workarounds and fixes.. here's how to just simply bypass that pesky door and drag her with you...

Step by step of how I did it... ([?] = relevant key)

1. Console [~]
  2. " coc DLC1VampireCastleGuildhall " (or movetoqt DLC1VQ02 press escape and run to the door)
  3. at the door, Console [~]
  4. " prid 02002b74 " [enter] (this selects your current Serana)
  5. " moveto player " [enter] (this moves her to you (be sure there's somewhere for her to stand.. aka don't stand awkwardly next to a wall or a bunch of stuff))

From there she should respond to the man accusing you of trespassing, make her regular comments and she'll properly interact with the leader.

If you have this on XBox... sorry.. wait for an update.. or something... I've learned my lesson when it comes to Bethesda and XBox games...

Edited by Xoza