Everyone in Honnleath & Shale Speaks French(?)!

FIREFLY11

I know, this is becoming my home away from home! : P At least the game crashing issues seem to have resolved! Anyway, something odd has happened. When I went to Honnleath, all of the NPCs spoke French (or at least what sounds like French), including my companions during the cutscene where you first try to activate Shale and the one where Shale is freed. I left the village before freeing Shale & talked to other NPCs elsewhere and it was back to English. I recruited Shale & assumed that once I left Honnleath she would speak English, but she still only speaks French. I checked to see if I could adjust the language in the game's options section, but no such option exists. Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks, & best regards,

FIREFLY11

Actually, after listening more carefully, I now think it's Russian. I had to install Stone Prisoner & the other DLCs for the Ultimate Edition by downloading the patch for them directly from the EA web site because I bought the physical disc. I didn't know at the time you had to buy the downloadable version of the game in order to have the DLCs working from the beginning. Once I finish my first play through I'm getting the download--the physical disc just has too many issues, ones that the good folks who lend their help here with tech support have been infinitely patient & helpful with addressing (many thanks to TSM & Thandal!). On playing further, I've found that in the character selection screen when Shale is added/removed from the party, is given a gift, and in Tinimaus' Eavesdropping mod (highly recommend BTW), she speaks in English, so I'm not sure if this is some bug or if the English talkable would help. At any rate, Shale doesn't really figure into my party make up that much, so I would be willing to tolerate not understanding her until I get the download. Thank you very much for the input!

Best regards,

FIREFLY11

@FIREFLY11; As always when playing a modded game, troubleshooting starts with "Remove all mods".

From there, you can start to determine if the issue is with the base game install, or one of your mods.

Have you done that yet? :huh:

Hey Thandal! No, not yet. I've got around 40+ mods installed (I know, I went insane) & I'm having too much fun with the game to try removing them right now. This is my first playthrough & I'm now about 60% into the campaign. Once I complete the game I plan on following your advice & getting the game on download. The crashing issue is improving, but other weird things are happening, so I'll remove the mods then & hopefully solve the issue. I forgot to mention this in my initial post, but I installed nearly all the mods for the game before I even began playing it. Not sure if that makes a difference.

I don't do much with Shale in general, so I don't mind dealing with not being able to understand her for now. BTW, I'm pretty sure the language is Russian. Or some Slavic language. Don't ask how I confused that with French--I'm an idiot! : P As always, thanks for the input! Once I finish the game & fix this issue, I'm moving on to the Toolset, so I'll probably end up back for more tech support. My goal for my first mod is to make one where the Warden tells the Dog to relieve himself in Goldanna's house (or maybe on Goldanna herself!) at the end of the conversation when Goldanna tells the Warden & Alistair to get out. I know you said start small, so does that seem too ambitious for a first attempt?

Best always,

FIREFLY11

@FIREFLY11: "Around 40..." ? Ha! I'm currently down to 50, and have been in the high 80s for much of the (very long) time I've been playing DA:O. :laugh: But I would have advised you to play the game completely un-modded the first time. It's totally playable, and that way you would have gotten a better sense of which mods you really wanted, and what they're doing for you. (Too late now, I suppose...)

As for your suggested "mod authoring" attempt, I like the concept. But scripting events and adding dialogue triggers for NPCs sounds more than a little over-ambitious for a first go. I certainly wouldn't tackle something that complicated if I were just learning the basics. :geek:

@FIREFLY11: "Around 40..." ? Ha! I'm currently down to 50, and have been in the high 80s for much of the (very long) time I've been playing DA:O. :laugh: But I would have advised you to play the game completely un-modded the first time. It's totally playable, and that way you would have gotten a better sense of which mods you really wanted, and what they're doing for you. (Too late now, I suppose...)

As for your suggested "mod authoring" attempt, I like the concept. But scripting events and adding dialogue triggers for NPCs sounds more than a little over-ambitious for a first go. I certainly wouldn't tackle something that complicated if I were just learning the basics. :geek:

Adding a scripted event to the Goldanna encounter would, as Thandal speculates, be ambitious for a beginner project, and, if it edits the dialogue, would be incompatible with all of the other mods that use alistair_main.dlg. (Goldanna doesn't have a discrete dialogue file; rather, her Denerim conversation is included in the principle dialogue file for Alistair, which is also edited by many fix mods and romance mods.)

An alternate solution might be to use a placeable trigger (an object in Goldanna's hovel) that, when clicked on, would trigger the desired animation... there are numerous 'romance' cutscenes for characters like Alistair and Tamlen that use that method of 'delivery'... but I'm not sure how any of that would work, beyond that the way to add the placeable trigger object would be with a PRCSCR script.

Hey guys! Nice to see I'm not the only one who went mod-crazy. I spent a couple of months watching the mods on YouTube eagerly awaiting the day when I got a gaming PC, so I couldn't help myself! :laugh: I'm having an insane amount of fun with the mods--I can't believe how much greater depth & realism they bring to an already epic game. Talk about truly experiencing the Hero's Journey! I guess the Dog-revenge idea is more complex than it sounds. The way I would have it go, I don't think it would be incompatible since it wouldn't alter any of Alistair's dialogue. But you know more about this than I do. Here's how the scene would go:

The Goldanna encounter would play out as normal. After the Warden gives their last line (i.e., "Let's leave. Now.") & Alistair gives his response, instead of cutting to back outside for the conversation w/ Alistair, a dialogue option would pop up for the Warden for the player to click on. I was thinking something like "You're not getting any money, but here's a little parting gift!" at which the Warden would nod to the Dog. Cut to a shot of the Dog wandering over to Goldanna (who would be shown from the waist down), & lifting his leg. There's a point earlier in the conversation w/ Goldanna where she makes an angry sound like "ooohh", which could be used when the Dog does his dirty work, then follow that with her saying "get out". That could be cut from her earlier line where she says "Get out of my house, the both of you!" Then the conversation with Alistair outside would play as normal. I always wanted some form of revenge on Goldanna. Having the Warden get violent with her seemed going too far. This seems appropriate & could bring a little comic relief to a mostly-serious game. Hmmm. Now that I think about this, it IS complicated! I guess if one seeks to fly, they should learn to walk first. Can't remember who said that, but it seems applicable here. Maybe a good starter mod would be making an item or weapon.

Anyway, I'll spend as much time learning as I have to in order to master the Toolset. Giving my Warden & Alistair a proper ride off into the sunset as king & queen is definitely on my bucket list. That and making sure Anora gets executed or killed at the Landsmeet. As always thanks so much for the advice and info!

All the best,

FIREFLY11

Even if you don't alter Alistair's dialogue per se, altering or adding to the Warden's 'dialogue' by piggybacking off of/extending the conversation would still affect alistair_main, because all three characters (Alistair/Goldanna/Warden) in the exchange are using that file for their dialogue:

1926794-1561296037.jpg

That's why I offered the suggestion of using something like a clickable object trigger to run your cutscene, rather than having it appended to the quest conversation, especially if you intend to release your mod; avoiding compatibility issues, especially with popular romance and dialogue fix mods, will save you a lot of support headaches down the road.

Hi Sky! Thanks for the info. I didn't realize all three characters used the same file--I assumed the Warden would be separate, so thanks for clearing that up. Since that's the case I'll go along with your recommendation for the clickable object trigger. If I manage to pull this off & it works well enough, I probably would want to share it with the community. My guess is I'm not the only one who would enjoy seeing something unpleasant happen to Goldanna. If you go back into her house in the vanilla version of the game, she's on her hands and knees scrubbing the floor, so I the aftermath is already written! :happy: I'm nearly through with my first playthrough, so depending on how my schedule is, I'll begin learning to use the Toolset next week. After I get the game on download, of course. Lots more weird things have been happening, among them NPC characters' clothing color & texture changing over and over again during conversations & enemies turning rainbow colors.

Thanks again!

FIREFLY11