Move Vortex mod folder to another drive

babydiehard
Go to solution Solved by Rattledagger,

Hello. What should I do to move my mods folder to another drive? Do I just copy them over or there is specific method need?

I know how to move steam Skyrim folder but I'm not sure about mod folder. I have Skyrim and Vortex folder in D drive and I want move it to E drive.

Edited by babydiehard

• Solution

Game and mod-folder must be on the same drive, so you should do something like:

1: In Vortex, on mods-tab hit "purge".

2: Exit Vortex.

3: In Steam, move Skyrim to another drive.

4: Run Skyrim launcher once to setup registry etc.

5: Re-start Vortex to detect new location of Skyrim.

6: Just to be on the safe side re-start Vortex.

7: In Vortex click Settings, Mods, specify new location of "Mod Staging Folder" on the new drive, and Vortex should move all files for you. Note, this can take a long time.

8: On mods tab, Deploy.

• 2 weeks later...

Game and mod-folder must be on the same drive, so you should do something like:

1: In Vortex, on mods-tab hit "purge".

2: Exit Vortex.

3: In Steam, move Skyrim to another drive.

4: Run Skyrim launcher once to setup registry etc.

5: Re-start Vortex to detect new location of Skyrim.

6: Just to be on the safe side re-start Vortex.

7: In Vortex click Settings, Mods, specify new location of "Mod Staging Folder" on the new drive, and Vortex should move all files for you. Note, this can take a long time.

8: On mods tab, Deploy.

Hi, I have another question. After I hit purge mod and set up a new location for mod staging folder. Do I need to reinstall all the mod and set select which mod overwrite which again?.

For expample many mod came with installer let you choose mesh and texture option..etc. Do I need to reselect all the option again or the process is automatic?

Edited by babydiehard

As long as you uses Vortex to move the mod staging folder, you shouldn't need to re-install anything and all the rules you've created should still be working.

If on the other hand you moves the mods manually, all mods will likely be duplicated and you'll lose all the rules (except the ones on plugin tab).

Now, where is a possibility something goes wrong with Vortex moving the mod staging folder, in this case the best is to re-install all mods and this means you'll need to re-create the rules, but at least the few times I've changed between disks I've not had any problems.

Thank you very much. I just moved everything from my HDD to SSD drive and all the mods seem to working fine.

Holy s***. You won't believe how much different SSD make for Skyrim or Fallout 4. Especially if you have heavy modded game. It not just the loading time is faster but everything is faster. You can feel it when navigating menu. No more delay when switching weapons and cycle through inventory items.

Edited by babydiehard

• 7 months later...

Step 1 means where's less files to move by Steam and this means this step goes faster. In addition if you don't purge beforehand (or switch to a blank profile), it is a possibility some files is not correctly tracked as added by Vortex later on.

Step 7 is critical, since if you don't use Vortex to move "Mod Staging Folder" it's a very good chance all installed mods will be duplicated.

An additional step 7b would be "make sure deployment method is "Hardlink deployment" (Vortex - Settings - Mods).

Until Vortex adds a method to export all rules etc. and later import these again, I'm not aware of any better method to move mods between disks.