Dawn of a new age

Brutii

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a beautiful day.

And on this beautiful day, Rilgomm got to crawl into an ancient crypt and re-kill skeletons. Fantastic. Still, they were troubling the farmers, even killed somebody's dog. Rilgomm couldn't let that happen. These farmers were his people. He wouldn't let them suffer constant invasion. At least maybe the crypt would be cooler than it was outside. Wearing a full set of steel plate armor didn't do much for temperature regulation, unless you came from Windhelm. Rilgomm, for one, was born and raised in the Reach. Four Knights of the Thorn flanked him, wearing various armors. For practicality, Rilgomm let soldiers wear what they fought best in, not what symbolisized them the best. It must have looked a sight, A caped warrior in glinting, polished steel armor surrounded by four of his fellows. One of the farmers said that the farms closest to the forest were being attacked more frequently than the others. Rilgomm was going to them. He could see one of the farmhouses from here. Children were playing outside. It looked a little strange.

Upon closer inspection, Rilgomm noticed that it wasn't a child running, it was a farmer, a skinny imperial man who looked like he could barely lift a sword.

"Help, sirs! I'm bein' attacked!"

"Get behind us." Rilgomm commanded. The farmer scampered behind the group of warriors. A skeleton pursued him, shambling and clanking as it tried to kill him. Rilgomm had his unique war axe in his hand before the farmer even reached him. It was steel, shaped like Akatosh in his dragon form, with his outstretched wings forming the blades. Rilgomm brought his shield up and hit it, hard. Several bones cracked as the undead flew to the ground. Rilgomm's axe finished the job.

"Thank you, sirs. I found the ruins, but that thing chased me off. Go south into the forest, built into the side of a hill."

"Good man. Keep the creature's axe, you might need it one day." Rilgomm said.

The man's directions were faultless. Rilgomm and his squad came upon the ruins and plunged into them, taking out every single undead they could find. It occured to Rilgomm (not for the first time.) that he needed to get his axe enchanted, as he had no silver weapons with which to combat spectral creatures such as ghosts or wraiths. Thankfully, there were no particularily powerful undead that seemed to be wandering around. The skeletons and occasional Draugr were no match for five well-equipped knights, and Rilgomm himself brought down at least ten skeletons and two draugr, and he was fifty-two years old, with four fully-grown children. At long last, Rilgomm and his team cleared most of the dungeon, and found themselves in a large throne room.

Edited by Flipout6

Upon a raised dais sat the large stone throne upon which Neh'Taniel was resting, in the waking dreams which were the closest he got to sleep after the transformation. Dormancy would probably fit his current state, but this did not matter. No one living entered his ruins, not for long anyway. This was a shame, since it had been years since Neh'Taniel was able to have a good chat with anyone.

Wait a moment..

Something was disturbing the air in his throne room... hmm, it didn't feel like a skeleton, or a zombie. The green glow of his eyes flickered a few times before glowing brightly again, in the manner of one blinking sleepily as they woke. He perceived the room around his throne, seeing into the depths of the shadows, noting a Nord and a team of warriors. He allowed his voice, deeper than the tones of funeral bells to ring forth, resonating through the echoing chamber,

"I know not who you are, Nord and company, but you shall find no treasures here. Only knowledge that should be in no man's hands. I suggest you leave." He pushed himself to his feet, and hovered about half a foot off the ground in front of his chair, his left hand gripping the staff that had been leaning against his throne, and his right pointing towards the door. The green smoke swirled around his joints and bones, holding him together.

"By the Nine! A lich!" One of Rilgomm's warriors whispered.

"Quiet down, something's different about this one. He at least warns us about danger, and this is the only Lich I've ever heard of that can talk. That's no reason to be careless, however. Spread out and position yourselves tactically." Rilgomm spoke to the Lich. "We're not here for treasures, Lich. Undead in these ruins have been attacking farmers around here. A being as powerful as you could control them." He spoke the last part with an accusing tone of voice, his axe and round steel shield restless in his hands. He didn't like this one bit.

Edited by Flipout6

A chuckle escaped Neh'Taniel as he heard the Nord speak. He inclined his head at the accusation and gave a smile, though, as his head was a skull it almost always was.

"Very good, Nord. You acknowledge what power I possess. I do admit, the undead in this ruin were once under my control. The ones closest to this room were still that. The ones that would have most likely attacked those farmers of which you spoke were the ones nearest the exit. I strongly suspect someone came in looking for treasure and left the door open, allowing them to escape. Allow me to introduce myself, mortal. I am Neh'Taniel, Necromancer, formerly an Altmer, now a Lich, and once head of the Mage's Guild of Cyrodil, back when I was still Nathaniel, or Nathan. Who would you be?"

Neh'Taniel moved away from his throne, not close enough to be perceived as a threat, but close enough he didn't have to shout.

The Lich's voice sent chills down Rilgomm's spine. He saw his warriors position themselves, behind pillars and on ledges. Two bows were trained on it right now.

"I am Rilgomm, current, and aging, leader of the Knights of the Thorn. Although we are quite a different organisation than we were before the coup. As calm as you may be now, I will not underestimate you. Is there something you want, or are you trying to lure us into a false sense of security?"

Raelondendar: Bruma - Bruma Castle Throne Room

"Again with the bandits along the road to the south, Legate?" Raelondenar queried as he was informed of yet another assault on a group of travellers earlier that day.

"Indeed. And, according to the lad that survived, yet again at the intersection with the Red Ring. At Sercen." The legate replied.

Raelondenar snorted in annoyance. He could hardly blame the bandits for setting up shop there, though. Lately, there had been a handsome influx of refugees from some of the small countryside villages seeking the protection of a major walled city. What better place to ambush the travelers than at the hub of all traffic regarding Bruma? People could hardly hop onto the Silver Road at some other point due to the mountainous terrain. The Orange Road to Chorrol further up the road hardly saw travel anymore. Chorrol itself was crumbling and that meant that the other villages in the area were as well. None were equipped for the long trip up to Bruma.

"Of course, sir, I will have to wait until nightfall to tend to this. Vampires and sunlight typically don't get along too well." Raelondenar said.

"Hmm...yes, I'm aware of that. Be ready to leave right as dusk is over, though. These bastards need to be done away with as quickly as possible. And you're the only crack agent that's not already occupied." Said the legate.

"Yes sir. I'll be off at dark." Raelondenar assured him. He then took his leave and headed for the barracks.

As Raelondenar entered the barracks, he saw the typical afternoon attraction: soldiers Grenjav and Legarius once again going at it with each other in table war. Raelondenar joined the small crowd gathered around the table and saw the players' newest game just three moves old, with Grenjav playing the white pieces. In time, the game concluded with Legarius the winner as he managed to out-strategize Grenjav for the third time that day. The pieces were then set back up in reverse, the black pieces now resting before Grenjav. However, rather than open a fresh game, Legarius rose.

"Afraid that's all I'm good for today, good sir. Again tomorrow, aye?" He said as he stretched.

"Ah, runnin' off on me now, eh? Suit yerself. Anybody else want a game? I ain't spent yet!" Grenjav teased. Then, he noticed Raelondendar's distinct face among the others.

"'Ay! If it ain't the vampire dude! Wha' about you, eh? Ain't seen you play for a while." Grenjav asked.

The onlookers all turned to Raelondenar, waiting on his response. He liked the game well enough, but didn't play all that often. He reckoned there wasn't much to lose in round or two, though. He needed a way to pass the next few hours anyway.

"Alright, Nord. You've got yourself a game." Raelondenar said as he sat down.

Hushed whispers started among the spectators. Most of them had never him play before. They were curious as to how Raelondenar would dispatch his mortal opponent. After all, it was the common assumption that the vampire was one of if not the most intelligent sort of creature in Nirn.

Raelondenar opened up as he always did, by moving the emperor's bishop pawn two squares forward. Grenjav responded by pushing his emperor's pawn one square forward, preparing to slide the empress to the board's edge and score a quick win on the weak diagonal should the elf allow it. He didn't, however, and the game went on for another twenty-eight moves when, through the sacrifice of a priest and knight, Raelondenar delivered checkmate to Grenjav's king. Five more games followed, with Raelondenar emerging the victor all five times. At the last game's end, Grenjav finally conceded defeat for the day and rose to go stretch his legs.

Raelondendar likewise got up and glanced out one of the windows. The shade of the sky was that of a fresh nightfall. Smirking at his fortune, Raelondenar made his way to his private room and took his equipment out of his chest. After inspecting everything, he donned the armor and fastened his weapons. He then returned to the throne room to announce his departure.

He walked up and bowed on his knee. "It appears my time has come. I'll be off now." He said.

"I was just about to send someone for you. Make haste." The legate said, waving him away.

Before him stood the gateway into Nirn, the mortal realm. His lord, Hircine, gifted him the ability to create a tear in reality, connecting this plane of Oblivion to Tamriel. His orders were quite vague, but he never questioned his master's orders: Wreak havoc until I give you further instruction. Still, the simplicity was excellent, as all he had to do was that which he did best. So he stepped forth, and crossed the way, into a lightly forested area.

The air was sweet, though he couldn't quite place what it was. He picked up another scent in the air that he could place though: human. He prowled with such a light step that it was nearly inaudible. He reached a small farmstead where a man was tending to his chickens. Rend figured he may as well figure out where he actually is, and proceeded to shift into his human form. As he almost never entered this form, he never felt the need to groom himself when he did. He appeared as a very muscular man, with very long and unkempt hair, and a long scruffy beard. Without his lupine hair covering his body, he was naked, and his body was slightly tanned with many scars from his youth in Oblivion. The only things that even slightly distinguished his true nature were his eyes -which still resembled a wolf- his unnaturally sharp teeth, and his finger/toenails, which ended in sharp points.

He walked out from the brush line, and over to the man and his chickens, still making virtually no sound. It was the chickens that gave away his position first, clucking nervously as he approached, and finally fleeing as he neared the coup. The man turned as they fled, and was dumbstruck by the man before him. "Where are your clothes, man?! What kind of place do you think this is?!"

"I was actually about to ask you that," Rend replied, "Where is this?"

"You daft or something boy? This is my farm! Unless you need a more general answer... This is Cyrodiil, near Cheydinal. That what you were looking for? If so, you may kindly leave me alone now."

Rend smiled, bearing his teeth, "Yes, that was what I was looking for, though I need something else." With that he punched the man in the chest, making a loud crunching sound and knocking him to the ground. Then came the transformation: growing hair, growing larger, his features changing. As it finished he looked down at the horrified, insignificant man. He howled loudly, further instilling terror in the man, who had lost the ability to breath. Rend descended on him, making a feast of his flesh, and later of his chickens. Now he could start his work..

Edited by nethgros

Even down in the ruins, Rilgomm heard the howling, occasionally the screaming. Like the previous visitors to these ruins, Rilgomm and his squad had left the door to the ruins open. And that was no ordinary howling, and certainly by no ordinary wolf. Dogs started barking, their furious growls muffled echoes this far underground. Rilgomm's men shuffled uncomfortably. The same thoughts were probably running through their heads. Rilgomm had heard that kind of howl, once or twice. Not bone-chilling like the howl of a dog or regular wolf, but somehow more feral. It was vicious, hungry, and terrifyingly intelligent. That howl came from a werewolf.

"No natural wolf sounds like that!" One of his men exclaimed.

Rilgomm now had a real situation on his hands. This lich was awake and active, but docile, and it wished them to leave. There was also a werewolf somewhere up there. However, Rilgomm was unsure of its intentions, it could easily hover up to the surface and proceed to burn Cheydinhal and kill Rilgomm's people, possibly becoming an even greater threat than the werewolf. Rilgomm weighed the options in his head, before coming to a decision.

"A werewolf attacks the people we must protect. It's our duty to slay it. To the surface, Knight of the Thorn!" Rilgomm shouted. His men ran for the exits. "As for you, Lich, I cannot truly stop you from doing anything, but attack Cheydinhal or any surrounding resident and I will slay you myself, should I survive." Not waiting for a response, Rilgomm caught up to his men, and took care to close the door behind him. Night had not fallen, even if there was to be a full moon tonight no werewolves would assume the form of the beast yet. This realisation unsettled the old Nord warrior, there was something more sinister at work here. "Stick together, or we'll be picked off individually. We face this creature as a team, and we'll bring it down. Come on! We can't afford to tarry."

The farm where the man was being attacked wasn't even completely outside the woods, which was fortunate. If it was outside the forest and further off, they wouldn't have been able to catch the werewolf before it preyed on somebody else. Rilgomm raised his axe and silently beckoned his men forward. Following his own code of lead by example, Rilgomm was the first upon the filthy beast, as he actually tackled it in a desperate effort to get it off the farmer (the same one he had saved earlier), on the off chance he yet lived. He was smart enough not to hold onto it to long, letting go if the wolf in mid-air and managing to stick the landing. He somersaulted through the dirt and landed on his feet, as him and his men raised their weapons, let out bellows, and charged.

Edited by Flipout6

Neh'Taniel followed the Nord and his company out of the ruins, after firing a fireball at a crumbling pillar, causing it to collapse and crumble over the locked gate leading to where he stored his Necromancy books. He emerged into the outside air, and perceived the group running towards a farm under attack by a werewolf. He soared over the grassy hills after the fighters, and shot an Icy Spear at the Werewolf, his voice booming,

"Leave This Settlement, Man-Wolf! I Will Not Allow It's Destruction!"