Loose script priority over BSA

adb1x1

I've searched the docs/discussions but haven't found a clear answer yet.

In Skyrim and Fallout 4 (I believe, and prob other Beth games)), if a loose script exists (in data/scripts) with the same name as one that exists in a Mod's BSA, the game engine would use the loose script.

I converted a Skyrim LE ver of a mod a couple of years ago to SE. I made a couple of changes at the same time (added a few things to a form list and made changes to one script). Since I planned a few other changes to the script and to ease testing, etc, I chose to just put the script in data\scripts rather than creating an updated BSA each time a change was made.

This worked fine with NMM, but on a new playthru, I moved SSE management to Vortex. I find now that the script that runs, is the one in the BSA and not the one with changes (the one in data\scripts).

Rules seem to have no option for this type of situation. Is this by design or....??

Depends on the date stamp on the BSA. Skyrim SE just updated BSAs in the last patch, which messes this up.

Vortex should have detected this and given a warning with an offer to fix. It then adjusts the date stamps on the BSAs.

Shamelessly copied from Greg in the Step forum: "The basic issue is that Skyrim (and other Bethesda games like Oblivion) won't use loose files if they are dated older than the BSA it should override. In other words, let's say the High Resolution Texture Pack BSAs are dated 1/1/2015 and you install a texture pack containing loose files in which the textures are all dated 1/1/2014. In this case, Skyrim won't use loose files in the texture pack."