Question On Moving NMM Installation to Vortex

RadoGamer

I'm about to make this transition and I'm going to use the process noted here

https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Importing_from_Nexus_Mod_Manager:_Things_to_consider

Which was a link on this page

https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Migrating_to_Vortex_from_another_Mod_Manager

My question centers around the fact that i have a large number of personal mods that have been created by me and placed manually in the data folder both in SSE and in FO4 and so although NMM sees the plugins and they appear in the plugin list they are what's considered unmanaged mods.

If I use the above process, can I do it with out deleting the mods in the data folders and so there by the installation from Vortex becomes a re-installation of the mods?

And if so is there a way to get Vortex to recognize the unmanaged mods in the data folder?

If not can I simply reinstall the mods using Vortex and there by just overwrite what's there.

Also the process noted on the first page makes no mention of uninstalling NMM so am I to assume the process for doing that mentioned on the second link I posted is what I should do.

I have a lot of work in these mods and I want to avoid deleting them.

I've checked in Gopher's vids and other vid tutorials and in every place I can find to make this transition painless as possible and the above information made the most sense considering the complexity of my installation.

Between SSE and FO4 were talking, along with my mods, about 350 mods.

Thanks

Asking one mod manager to manage mods installed by another is just asking for grief.

Even your own mods should be safely zipped up into archives.

Collect all your archives (make sure you have 350 archives) someplace safe.

Uninstall all mods from all mod managers. With Vortex, the Purge button is enough.

Clean your game directory - no leftovers at all. Especially watch for mods you installed manually.

Validate your game using Vortex.

Drag and drop your saved archives onto Vortex Mod download area. It will not take long.

Enable the ones you want enabled and click Deploy. Done.

Well mostly done. You should still set up profiles with managed saves, and import the saves you want.

This is my process - and I am sticking with it.

Although I appreciate your sentiment and response :thumbsup: , and I was already packing up my loose stuff updating and cleaning house and prepping for 7zip time (not my first rodeo) but, troubleshooting technology is like going to the doctor, I wouldn't mind at least one other opinion. And seeing this is the Vortex Support forum I'll just wait and see if anyone else chimes in from the team, since the wiki seems to point to at least two more possibilities, and viewing the complexity of my question there must be more to an answer.

thanks

Edited by RadoGamer

You need to Package your Homemade mods
This is something you should do anyways.
Vortex isn't just going to detect any loose files you have associated with them, there's no mod manager that can do that without some base to start from, which usually means that the Mod Manager INSTALLED the mod in the first place.

So no, Vortex, nor MO, MO2, NMM, OBMM, and every other mod manager cannot do what you're hoping to do, ESPECIALLY if everything in your custom mods were hand placed to begin with.

Again, Package your homemade mods as it's something you should do anyway for future use, or data loss, etc.

Importing from NMM is like playing Russian-Roulette because NMM tends to corrupt the files that Vortex needs to do a successful import.

If they are just ESPs, then Vortex will see them and stick them in the Plugins list (I do this all the time when I edit my cuystom ESP alongside the ESP I made the custom ESP from)

I'm about to make this transition ...

Don't. Just don't. I'm in the middle of this and I'm about to go back. The transition is horrible, most things will break, and now I'm realizing I should have never entertained this idea. If what you have works, stick with it.

Don't. Just don't. I'm in the middle of this and I'm about to go back. The transition is horrible, most things will break, and now I'm realizing I should have never entertained this idea. If what you have works, stick with it.

Old hand, premium user... Have you ever asked for help? Help is available - and most problems are solvable.

Old hand, premium user... Have you ever asked for help? Help is available - and most problems are solvable.

That's why I'm currently on the forums. Sometimes, things don't need to be changed - doing so will cause mass frustration and headache. If a previous manager causes all kinds of issues, then it's likely a good idea to seek a replacement. I'm not sure if this is the case for OP, but if it isn't, then sometimes it's best to just leave well enough alone and not change things that aren't broken.

Yes, I am in a rotten mood. I've spent the last 5 days trying to get SSE to work again - at the expense of nuking my install, moving over to Vortex, and fighting with everything the whole danged time.

I just want to play the danged game.

Ok thanks yes, like I said I'm in the middle of cleaning up my wip and creating 7zip files of my creations 35 in SSE alone, in fact I don't plan on migrating them anyway, I was going to install them separately.

My question has to do with the first link that recommends installing the mods from the NMM archive which are all the most recent versions of the mods I've installed and the updated versions as well, I was not clear on the process of removing NMM after moving the mods in to Vortex. In the instructions on the first page (second link) it says to deactivate the mods in Vortex then remove the NMM installation but it seem silly to me to do that. I would wait to activate the mods installed in to Vortex until after NMM is gone.

What I failed to mention is that I took the NMM archive of my mods and backed up all 75 gigs to another drive, that's what I will drop in to Vortex.

Gothpunk4Christ I like your attitude, "there are no problems only solutions,"

Anyhow once I'm done with my FO4 mods since I'm done with my SSE mods I'll make the attempt so I will be able to verify if the modified process I will attempt works. Not everyone has had a hard time with this it's just that I have some rather large and complex mods in the mix.

And although most of the instructions on how to do this are well meaning there seems to be some holes here and there that leave on kind of dangling. Since I've been troubleshooting software and computers since before windows 3, I'm not new to the chaos of technology.

Thanks for all the fish. I will post my success or failure for the amusement and assistance of others who may be having the same dilemma.

J

Gothpunk4Christ

I understand what you're saying but unfortunately, as much as I loved NMM, I'm a mod creator and people who are using mods are quickly moving away from NMM and using Vortex, MO2 and other more functional applications. I realize I actually don't even need a mod manager as I use to manually install them, but times change.

As a mod creator I realize the benefit of moving forward with the technology for the sake of the user. This is the case and why I'm making this move, if it makes things easier for the user then as a tech/mod person I've done my job.

Thanks for your support tho, as you are actually not wrong at all in your sentiment.

I appreciate it.

J

Edited by RadoGamer

Chances are most of the NMM import will not actually work. In order to get everything linked and installed and deployed properly, you will most likely have to download fresh files through Vortex, regardless if Vortex indicates that the file was actually migrated properly from NMM or not.

I've had to do this as well. Multiple files didn't seem to actually import properly, installing and deploying them resulted in missing ESP/L files in game. Going back into the MM resulted in files showing deployed, but not actually installed. The best fix I found was to actually load the file on NM website, then delete the archive, then redownload then install and deploy again. If you're hoping to save time with an import, you probably won't (also why it's recommended to start fresh).

At some point during the transfer process, the recommended followup is to go into NMM after an import to Vortex, and DELETE everything listed in NMM. This will clean up leftover files. My mistake was to DELETE and not just DISABLE so then I could go back and cross reference which files I actually did at one point have, since many of them ended up not showing up after the transfer.

There will be some leftover files to clean up and organize.