Question On Moving NMM Installation to Vortex

RadoGamer

Chances are most of the NMM import will not actually work. In order to get everything linked and installed and deployed properly, you will most likely have to download fresh files through Vortex, regardless if Vortex indicates that the file was actually migrated properly from NMM or not.

I've had to do this as well. Multiple files didn't seem to actually import properly, installing and deploying them resulted in missing ESP/L files in game. Going back into the MM resulted in files showing deployed, but not actually installed. The best fix I found was to actually load the file on NM website, then delete the archive, then redownload then install and deploy again. If you're hoping to save time with an import, you probably won't (also why it's recommended to start fresh).

At some point during the transfer process, the recommended followup is to go into NMM after an import to Vortex, and DELETE everything listed in NMM. This will clean up leftover files. My mistake was to DELETE and not just DISABLE so then I could go back and cross reference which files I actually did at one point have, since many of them ended up not showing up after the transfer.

There will be some leftover files to clean up and organize.

Why does everybody think that they have to redownload something that is already on their hard drive?

The mod ARCHIVES are still on your hard drive after you import over to Vortex, they're in your NMM DOWNLOAD folder,

Just CTRL+A in your NMM Download folder, and CTRL+V into your Vortex DOWNLOAD\<NAME OF GAME>\ folder

Deleting the files in Vortex only deletes the Mod FILES, the Mod Archives are still there, unless you went one step too far and deleted the Mod ARCHIVES too.

Why does everybody think that they have to redownload something that is already on their hard drive?

The mod ARCHIVES are still on your hard drive after you import over to Vortex, they're in your NMM DOWNLOAD folder,

Just CTRL+A in your NMM Download folder, and CTRL+V into your Vortex DOWNLOAD\<NAME OF GAME>\ folder

Deleting the files in Vortex only deletes the Mod FILES, the Mod Archives are still there, unless you went one step too far and deleted the Mod ARCHIVES too.

Because -

1) Redownloading it through the site corrects the names listed in Vortex instead of them ending with a bunch of numbers,

2) Several of the archives, at least in my case, were empty shells not actually containing the proper usable data. I'm not about to hand pick over 400 different files to check and see if they're actually usable or not, and in several instances, trying to redeploy them resulted in them just disappearing. So they did "exist" although usable data did not because they were transitioned improperly.

Redownloading them was the safest way to ensure that I SHOULD actually get a working file. Because you maybe had a flawless install or transition doesn't mean that everyone else does...

*Edit* for clarification, after transitioning the files from NMM to Vortex, the directions do say to DELETE the archives from NMM. I never deleted the archives from Vortex until after I noticed there was indeed a problem.

I try not to comment if HTR has - but I have to say your problems are all due to importing mods from NMM.

The process is problematic, and easy to mess up.

My hundreds of mods have never ended in numbers - and I never wound up with empty mod folders.

General rule: Start using a new mod manager on an unmanaged game. Try just one mod or two and see if you like it.

If you know what you are doing - things go a lot better with hundreds of mods.

I try not to comment if HTR has - but I have to say your problems are all due to importing mods from NMM.

The process is problematic, and easy to mess up.

My hundreds of mods have never ended in numbers - and I never wound up with empty mod folders.

General rule: Start using a new mod manager on an unmanaged game. Try just one mod or two and see if you like it.

If you know what you are doing - things go a lot better with hundreds of mods.

I am aware, that's why I made the clarification a couple posts ago. Things seems to go much smoother when not importing. Unfortunately with a mod list the size that I have, NOT importing is a major hassle too. NMM has file structure issues and all kinds of other stuff that I'm aware of. Multiple attempts to reinstall certain mods that were supposed to have been removed end up with duplicate files in the structure regardless. I'm not trying to say Vortex is the only manager that has issues - I know otherwise. The number issues and empty archives has happened on 3 different fresh "transitions" to Vortex now, several months apart. I keep hoping that little quirks get fixed and go back, to the same issues I've encountered in the past.

Hopefully it's just me, but I'm seriously considering managing all mods by hand and removing 3rd party altogether. *shrugs* As of now, I'm just trying to recover all the mods that ended up not being moved over, and reconverting the ESL files that I forgot to backup before nuking everything. So far, things seem to be improving, but 5 days down the drain and I just want to play...

I feel like I've hijacked the thread and am no longer contributing useful interaction. Good day, all.

Because -

1) Redownloading it through the site corrects the names listed in Vortex instead of them ending with a bunch of numbers,

2) Several of the archives, at least in my case, were empty shells not actually containing the proper usable data. I'm not about to hand pick over 400 different files to check and see if they're actually usable or not, and in several instances, trying to redeploy them resulted in them just disappearing. So they did "exist" although usable data did not because they were transitioned improperly.

Redownloading them was the safest way to ensure that I SHOULD actually get a working file. Because you maybe had a flawless install or transition doesn't mean that everyone else does...

*Edit* for clarification, after transitioning the files from NMM to Vortex, the directions do say to DELETE the archives from NMM. I never deleted the archives from Vortex until after I noticed there was indeed a problem.

1) Double clicking on the mod opens a right side Panel where you can select the Source of the Mod, and Vortex will find it on the Nexus and rename the mod in Vortex to something more 'friendly' the archive will still end in numbers, because the numbers are the mod ID.

Vortex-Mod-Info-Change.jpg

As of now, I'm just trying to recover all the mods that ended up not being moved over, and reconverting the ESL files that I forgot to backup before nuking everything. So far, things seem to be improving, but 5 days down the drain and I just want to play...

I feel like I've hijacked the thread and am no longer contributing useful interaction. Good day, all.

Vortex can convert your mods to ESL by making them "Light"

1) Double clicking on the mod opens a right side Panel where you can select the Source of the Mod, and Vortex will find it on the Nexus and rename the mod in Vortex to something more 'friendly' the archive will still end in numbers, because the numbers are the mod ID.

I'm aware of this, but it didn't resolve the issue of the archive becoming corrupted/unusable. I know about the renaming, but I just decided it was best to redownload to avoid the potential corruption (that and deploying those transfered mods didn't seem to always work, fresh downloads always seemed to work regardless if the archive actually did contain information or not.)

Vortex can convert your mods to ESL by making them "Light"

This though... I was not aware of... *sighs* *EDIT* Thank you for mentioning this. Saves me a lot of trouble. Hopefully I'll be back to functioning state within the next 2 days now -.-

Redownloading the archives is not necessary but does not hurt either in order to maintain/retrieve mod meta data. If you don't care about that and just want to reinstall the mod, then importing the archives is just fine.

The import process per se is stable and working as intended, however, due to the way NMM handles mod installations, chances are that your data folder will be in a less than tidy constitution (the more mods you have, the more likely that is) which can cause all sorts of issues down the line that are hard to troubleshoot.

It is recommended to "start from scratch" to ensure a stable setup.

I'm aware of this, but it didn't resolve the issue of the archive becoming corrupted/unusable.

If an archive you've used File Explorer or similar to copy from NMM's /mods/-folder to Vortex /downloads/name_of_game/-folder suddenly is become corrupt, I would start checking for a failing HD or something.

If you're using Vortex "import"-feature on the other hand, in case of problems you finishing with a zero-byte archive file is possibly an option.

Manually copying the archives is easier and less error-prone than trying to import anything from NMM.

@Gothpunk4Christ

I'm aware of this, but it didn't resolve the issue of the archive becoming corrupted/unusable.

For what it's worth, using Vortex alpha over a year ago, I imported over 300 mods from NMM without a single archive corruption. In the year since, I have not had any corrupted archives out of the hundreds of mods that I've downloaded. This information obviously does not solve your problem. However, it may indicate that your issues arise from hardware problems and/or something (besides Vortex) in your computer environment.