Help needed - compile a .cpp file into a .dll

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question, which is more or less related to the same topic.

Memory addresses.

I already tried to find a specific memory address for blocking. I want to find the switch and/or function, which makes you immun to melee damage, when blocking, which should be 1 or 0. I guess, that 1 is, when blocking is active and 0 otherwise. I used cheat engine to find that address, but.... it took hours just for 1 pass. Is there a faster way to identify an address / is there a special address space where I can find such things?

@Zzyxzz - Just guessing, but I'd think that "cheat engine" simply scans through memory looking for changed variables and doesn't give any clue as to which sub-routine just accessed it, does it? If you could find that address, then maybe the sub-routine could be found in IDA which would make it very easy to find again.

...actually, maybe try finding the address in IDA - if you have the address of the "blocking" variable, you might be able to search through the fallout4.exe code in IDA for it. You might have to translate the address slightly, say just use the last three bytes and add 14h to the front. A bit of trial and error might turn something up!

Failing that, maybe ask on the F4SE devs' discord server for help (sorry don't have the address to hand).

I managed to find a handy article about variables. Bethesda uses 32bit bools. So you can scan the memory with 4 bytes. Which effectively reduced the time to some seconds. I have also managed to find the block address, but still have to find the base address, had no time yesterday to finish it.

IDA, haven't heard of that program. I'm new to all that stuff. I did some assembler programming at the university, the very basics.

I'll have a look for the f4se server. Thanks.