Questions about adding DLCs to FO4VR and modding

Vonklinkenhoffn

Hi all

So, I'm used to modding SkyrimVR with Mod Organizer 2 and I feel quite reluctant about manual modding since I started using it. That's why I was so happy to find it was working nicely with FO4VR too.

Now I found out that I wanted to try the DLCs for FO4VR as well, so I got the pancake version with all of the DLCs and now I wanted to get them all copied over to my FO4VR folder. However, as I've looked through numerous how-to vids on the subject, it's dawned on me that everyone is saying if I want to use the DLCs for VR, I have to install mods MANUALLY yikes! :ohmy:

I first thought it was because of the ini-files, as it's explained that the engine needs to be able to find the DLCs referenced in the ini's in order to run them. I figured it would be fine to just edit the ini-files in the directory that MO2 uses and I would be able to add mods through MO2 as usual. Now I'm not so sure anymore. It's not that easy, is it? I got the feeling that the reason I have to install mods manually for DLCs to work is because of the dlc-files themselves being in the game folder and MO2, as we know, doesn't run mods from the game directory. Now my main question is this: Am I right in my thinking here? Is it no other way for me to use the DLC for FO4VR as well as installing mods through MO2?

I also have a couple of other questions.

If I do have to start installing mods manually, can I at least delete the pancake version of Fallout 4 after I've copied over the DLCs and made the necessary adjustments to the ini-files? I would really want to save my SSD space.

also, is the manual installation part only necessary for mods that apply to the DLCs directly? (Like DLC standalone bug fixes and such) and for other regular mods I can still use MO2, or do I have to move absolutely ALL my mods over to a manual install if I add the DLCs?

Now, I realize I must come off as probably a bit of a newb here, but that's because I am. I'm sorry for all the questions, but this is my first time modding FO4VR. As previously stated, I have only been modding SkyrimVR with MO2 and I thought it would be mostly the same stuff here, but I might have jumped the gun on this one :ermm:

I hope any of you mod-gurus can help me out here, any answer is very much appretiated. Thanks!

Edit:

So, I went ahead and did all of this with MO2 my own way and the game is running, I don't notice anything difference. However, I don't see a mod-page in the game start menu either. Does that mean that the DLC simply didn't load? or is there no such menu for VR version and I just have to play the game and see if the DLC has been activated?

Edited by Vonklinkenhoffn

• 1 month later...

Update:

Okay, som I've played a lot of FO4 VR with 50+ mods now, as well as all of the DLC.

In case anyone wonders about the same questions as I did, I can now confirm that you can safely install all your mods with MO2 normally, it works like a charm! All you have to install manually are the DLC and MO2 will automatically find them and add them in your mod-list as DLC with all esm in order. Pretty neat :smile: On top of this, since MO2 has the option to make it's own ini files, which it loads into the game, they will all be found conveniently in a folder you can access through MO2s menu. No stress if you need to mess with the ini files at all. Or just use a ini-editor of your choice. I haven't had a single crash with my 50+ mods and modding is working like a charm. Gotta love MO2!

Edited by Vonklinkenhoffn

• 5 months later...

I have 6 DLC's myself, Automatron, Vault-Tec, Wastelands, Contraptions, Nuka-World and Far HArbor, except for Nuka World and Far HArbor all the Dlc's should be playable from the start. HAve yet to figure out how to get to Nuka World and Far harbor. I think I saw someone say in redit somwere that Far HArbor and Nuka World cannot be played in VR. And the Automatron quest line is more or less broken, I'm at the quest part were i'm suppose to go after the MAchinist but can't get the robots to give me access to the underground lair. Even with all the mod fix's I could find it's still broken.

@Dragoonn Thx for sharing! you are saying "except for Nuka World and Far HArbor all the Dlc's should be playable from the start." How do you start/select e.g. Automatron? As said, I am at level 4 very early in the game.... from another post (www.vrforum.de) I've learned that Nuka and FarHabor should be availibly when you reach level 40.

Nuka world, you should get a quest notifier that you have a new radio station available that you can listen to.

Far harbor, you have to have rescued Nick Valentine as the quests for that come in through his secretary.

As for compatibility with VR, I am really sorry, but I have no idea. :sad:

Edit: PS- If you have issues with this... There is a known bug where sometimes, once she sends you to go talk to who you talk to (Trying not to give spoilers here) sometimes the map will not allow you to go there. If you have installed the DLC on a current playthrough. This can sometimes be fixed by a reinstall of the DLC itself. Other times, it's because the script doesn't trigger correctly in the current save game, but should trigger ok in a new game.

Edited by StormWolf01

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everybody!

Last day i tried to modding with Vortex the FO4VR game. Unfortunately the game just loading and not playable. I tried to use some graphix mod, the achivment mod and a npc fix mod.

Now i reintall my game, because after the removing of the mods the game not start. Any advice or suggstion, how to try the modding? My biggest problem, that i can not see any crash report, so i don't kow which mod not working properly or i now intalled it the good way.

I have not requirements, just some graphics fix and optimalization or bug fix.

Thanks the help!

• 2 years later...