Screenshot Share

SerecenHwke

Who's leeching bandwidth? people still have to stick to their daily limit if the images they're embedding here are also hosted here and those not hosted here aren't using the sites bandwidth at all. Image hosts give out embed codes, they wouldn't if they didn't want people hotlinking. I can understand the problem with people uploading 1080p images and breaking everything, it a shame that a few idiots have spoiled things for everyone else again but I can't see how anyone is leeching anything.

This is the bandwidth leeching I was referring to:

It's also not the amount of images but the fact lots of people also don't resize their images to actually fit the page. You end up with 10 1900x1200 res images on the page and it (1) takes a crap-ton of unexpected bandwidth and (2) looks completely gash. it's not what the Image Share was intended to be used for so we'll be blocking it out in due course and replacing it with a system we are more comfortable with.

Simply echoing what Dark0ne already said.

Glad that the code will be converted to links. Given how many people use the image code all the time, I thought it was going to get a little messy. :P

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's leeching bandwidth? people still have to stick to their daily limit if the images they're embedding here are also hosted here and those not hosted here aren't using the sites bandwidth at all. Image hosts give out embed codes, they wouldn't if they didn't want people hotlinking. I can understand the problem with people uploading 1080p images and breaking everything, it a shame that a few idiots have spoiled things for everyone else again but I can't see how anyone is leeching anything.

This is the bandwidth leeching I was referring to:

It's also not the amount of images but the fact lots of people also don't resize their images to actually fit the page. You end up with 10 1900x1200 res images on the page and it (1) takes a crap-ton of unexpected bandwidth and (2) looks completely gash. it's not what the Image Share was intended to be used for so we'll be blocking it out in due course and replacing it with a system we are more comfortable with.

Simply echoing what Dark0ne already said.

Glad that the code will be converted to links. Given how many people use the image code all the time, I thought it was going to get a little messy. :P

That's not leaching, embedded images use no more than other images, less if the person has been decent enough to resize them so they don't make a mess.

We'll simply change any URLs in the img tags in to clickable links instead.

I'm confused. Are you saying that we will have the main image, then in the description just a series of links with no images?

If so, how can you control adult content, when the links will be a)offsite and b) not shown here?

Would it not be better to re-format the description section to automatically resize images to 900 width and set the limit at a certain number, as already said? Or post a rule in the imageshare telling people to resize or their whole image set will be deleted?

Edited by Dazaster

I like the idea of "built-in gallery". If it will look like: upload main image, second image, third image and up to the limit (10 for example), and all of them can be sorted and enlarged like main image... Its great - no messing with BBcodes, and third party resources.

Also it can be made separately: the single image and the "gallery" - where you can adjust size of thumbnail, sort it like you want, some art-text, large amount of images - to make whole storyboards.

As for existing galleries... He-he... Looks like you've got to reupload and remade it in any case.

If so, how can you control adult content, when the links will be a)offsite and b) not shown here?

I don't understand what the difference/problem is? We'll handle that the same way we handle it now for files, images and posts; if your link leads to inappropriate content we'll hand out warnings/bans accordingly.

I can see uploaders dumping them on the forum side and directing people to the forum thread, I wouldn't want to lose the image tags on the forum as well because of it.

We'll simply change any URLs in the img tags in to clickable links instead.

I'm confused. Are you saying that we will have the main image, then in the description just a series of links with no images?

Would it not be better to re-format the description section to automatically resize images to 900 width and set the limit at a certain number, as already said? Or post a rule in the imageshare telling people to resize or their whole image set will be deleted?

It's a shame the description didn't cut off large images as the comments do, getting their images cut in half would have forced them to resize.

@Victoria That would be handy.

Let's be honest the imageshare is the least supported of the varying upload and expressive mediums when it comes to the Nexus, I just don't think any of you guys in the admin team really understand or appreciate it in the way some of us do. The three groups image artists, comic authors and storytellers bring a massive percentage of exposure to the games you support, the mods your users make and the overall friendliness of the sites.

Currently the mod author tracking system does noting for tracking your favourite screenshot artists or comic authors, and I even remember awhile back where a comic was removed from the mod database because "it wasn't a mod". One of the reasons comic authors use the description to post proper images, is because the standard upload doesn't support large images without serious quality loss.

I'll admit I personally do go a bit overboard trying to organize and bring exposure to my previous images and the images of my favourite artists (EXAMPLE) and really that is more to do with the fact that I'm not as big a artist as some of the big name image artists like VictoriaG, amnis , 83Willow or Berseneva. I'm not going to rail against the coming changes, but I do think they are going to hurt comic authors and story tellers more than anyone else.

What I will do is propose changes to the sites to better support image artists, comic authors and story tellers:

1. Make images posted by your friends appear in Notifications.

2. A separate imageshare system different from the standard "one image only" system that supports image sets, comics and storyboarding (ie you upload multiple images for one upload, then assign text etc).

3. The ability to group your images in categories. For example I like to group my images by "series" based upon which player character features in the image.[/url]

Edited by TheOutlander

I'll chime in too as someone easily affected by this change.

I can understand and support the idea that if the administration doesn't like the status quo or wants to make a change, that's absolutely fine and their prerogative.

From the perspective of someone not caring for the layout or how images are cut off or not sized, or the number of images linked to in an entry, I think that easily falls under "if you don't like it, don't click it and move on." just like if someone doesn't agree with lore, penises, or the poster's perspective within a mod or other forum. It is simply a means of expression so I don't understand why those arguments are given any weight or credence here.

Edit: It seems the most efficient alternative for me personally would be to blow my wad on spamming ten smaller episodes every day instead of one decent sized post every few days. In the long run I imagine that would account for more bandwidth on the Nexus' end and piss people off when their images get flooded off the recent images section.

Might want to take the opportunity if you are making changes to the imageshare to overhaul it completely, scrapping endorsements would solve some issues, I mean when you get folks trying pry into your private life and spread false libelous accusations about you over endorsements to your images then things have got a little out of hand (and a little creepy), at the end of the day this is a gaming/mod website not Facebook/eHarmony if folks don't like certain images then they need to remember a golden rule on Nexus 'if you don't like it then move on to the next image'.