What Are Your Favorite Fast Travel Alternatives?

tm2dragon

Not sure how others feel about this, but I both LOVE and HATE fast travel. I'm far too lazy to spend 30 minutes walking halfway across the map to get back to that one terminal I couldn't hack or lock I couldn't pick before because I was under-leveled...on the other hand, it's FAR too easy to grow dependent on fast-travel, which not only kills immersion, but means you'll be skipping past prime opportunities for exploration and looting! A happy middle-ground is nice, even if all you're doing is making yourself feel slightly more justified in instantly zipping around the wasteland!

Back in my last play-through, I used the mod Immersive Fast Travel to build teleporters at my settlements. I still had to do a bit of jogging to get here and there, but it was slightly more limited and I felt a bit more immersed. This time, I'm considering the mod APC Home on the Move, which could be a fun alternative.

I'm curious what other folks think about Fast Travel, whether they find it impacts their immersion/enjoyment, and what methods they've found that improve the experience for them. Do you use mods to help, and if so which ones? Have you figured out a good system for using Vertibirds for traveling to your destinations? Do you maybe impose certain rules on yourself to limit your use of the feature? Heck, maybe you just skip it entirely and hike everywhere on foot! Share your thoughts, and let's get a discussion going!

I prefer Immersive Fast Travel - https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10157

Just looks better, I like the motorcycle. I also like the optional Fuel option alot. I use a mod that lets me build anywhere to sprinkle these all over the map. Unfortunately, you can only go to owned Settlements with this. I would have liked if you could go to some non-settlement areas, too. And it doesn't recognize Conquest settlements.

skyrim used to have the cart that took you to key locations, but it also had ride-able horses. I have not yet played skyrim with mods btw.

I think there was something like a cart sort of travel station you can build with Horizon, but I don't think it had any animations?

Probably the one I used the most was the APC.

Previous playthrough i used APC Transport. Nice mod with lots of options, configurable in MCM.

Current playthrough, whenever i am playing(rarely ), i have Subways of the Commonwealth. Immersive mod, but i don't use it that much, because:

1. I don't bother with populating settlements and with settlement building.

2. I have workshop and workbench inventory connected globally through SKK Quantum Storage. I can drop stuff at the first bench i see in the wild.

3. When it gets dark, i take a nap in imaginary sleepbag. It is a save option from mod SKK Workshop Utilities.

4. I still have not discovered all subway stations :D .

Edited by robotized

I'm sort of like 'robotized' and sort of not. I do use the APC also and for actual travel the Kettenkraftrad halftrack.

I don't care about settlements at all, so Subways of the Commonwealth - Standalone is in every game I play. It is available at the start and easily usable.

Thuggysmurf has created 7 actual subway stations (Concord, Cambridge, Malden, DC, Goodneighbor, Castle, Jamaica P). Inside they have 'real' subway trains and shops like a miniature Diamond City. I like to just 'ride' all the trains at first to get the areas marked and do some exploring. It makes following quests much more interesting.

Another useful one is Highway Runner. The mod author has actually connected all of the highways and you can travel quickly there on foot, or vehicle. Don't have to stay on the ground at all.

Yeah, i also haven't done any quests. Kind of thinking someday i should try playthrough with Fallout4-76 mod and populate the world with ferals.

Subways is a cool mod. They have turret protection at the gates and it's even safer inside. Each station has a clinic so you can have doctor's help closer to Sanctuary, earlier in the game . Mirrors inside WC room have aid items for looting. The subway looks a bit too clean, but still great to use.

Another useful one is Highway Runner. The mod author has actually connected all of the highways and you can travel quickly there on foot, or vehicle. Don't have to stay on the ground at all.

Thanks. Downloaded for future use.

Early in my games, I've become a huge fan of both APC Transport and The Red Wave Reloaded, using the Red Wave's optional file for having it docked at Egret Tours Marina (as opposed to having it docked in Far Harbor). Later in the game when Vertibird travel becomes available, that's my preferred method. But I use Vertibird Beacon to avoid the tedium of constantly having to craft or buy signal flares, and add in the Vertibird Flight Altitude Fix mod to keep those BOS pilots from flying through buildings