Is there a max amount of custom settlements you can add?

Boda95

As the title said, I'd like to know if there is any sort of "limit" on how many custom settlement locations you can add into the game via mods.
I've added almost 30 already and I don't want to overload the game or, even worse, corrupt my saves somehow.

Thank you in advance!

The total maximum would be the papyrus array limit at 128. Of this, vanilla takes 30, Automatron 1, Vault-Tec another 1, Far Harbor 4, and Nuka-World 2 (there is a hidden workshop which is used internally, but still has a WorkshopID). This means, assuming you have all DLCs, you can install up to 90 custom settlements.

As for overloading the game, that can still happen, since settlements usually break precombines and make the areas they affect be less performant. Save corruption shouldn't happen, as long as they are set up properly, and you don't try to uninstall a settlement mod.

If you do not register workshops with the workshopparentscript then you can have unlimited. They will be like interior workshops and not participate in caravans, resource sharing or settler relocation. If you use a normal exterior workshop you can still build everything and recruit settlers (or use a spawning button).

The total maximum would be the papyrus array limit at 128. Of this, vanilla takes 30, Automatron 1, Vault-Tec another 1, Far Harbor 4, and Nuka-World 2 (there is a hidden workshop which is used internally, but still has a WorkshopID). This means, assuming you have all DLCs, you can install up to 90 custom settlements.

As for overloading the game, that can still happen, since settlements usually break precombines and make the areas they affect be less performant. Save corruption shouldn't happen, as long as they are set up properly, and you don't try to uninstall a settlement mod.

If you do not register workshops with the workshopparentscript then you can have unlimited. They will be like interior workshops and not participate in caravans, resource sharing or settler relocation. If you use a normal exterior workshop you can still build everything and recruit settlers (or use a spawning button).

Thank you both for your answers!