Good AA (RPG) games

Mudran

I guess nobody is commenting here, because there are many opinions on RPGs, so I will just add more here like some sort of news feed.

I saw this on RPG codex (where I don't dare to comment) - that creators of Daggerfall are forming a new game. I was trying to find more, this reddit feels the best for me: https://www.reddit.com/r/CouncilOfWisdom/

I have good and bad experience with similar projects. If they use the really ancient engines - like if it would be another Daggerfall - I guess it would be good enough for certain group of players, but nobody would probably talk about it - like Shroud Avatar. On the other hand if they would try some new engine like Unity (which some players claimed to dislike already), they would need collaboration with some established studio - like Obsidian did with their project and it was OK for more players.

Also there are different groups of RPG players with different preferences, so I guess it wouldn't be for me, so I can just wish they would implement those generated RPG mechanics well so it could be atleast inspiration for games I would be able to play.

Edited by Mudran

• 2 weeks later...

Star ocean series is good. Growing up I really liked Star Ocean 2 but Star Ocean 3 and 4 are great. I wouldn't play 5 if I were just getting into the SO universe. I believe you can play all of these on PC now. I would probably start with 3 then 4 because there's something about clunky limited mechanics from the PS2 era and low-res graphics that is hard to grapple after you play one made for the xbox 360 / PS3. It's not bad, it's just more difficult going from better to worse but 3 has the better story and that opinion is pretty universally shared. I would even argue 3 is the better game (for its time). There are different versions and I believe the director's cut edition is the one you want with the post-game content and all that fun stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to mention that a very fun game is Mad Max. The graphics are pretty good and beuatiful for a wasteland. There is a ton of stuff to do, the hand to hand combat is brutal ands satisfying and the vehicular warfare is the best I have found. The story is cinematic, there are great special effects that really give you the feeling of speeding out throught he wastes blasting and ripping through enemy vehicles. The action is great. The fight mechanics are A.I. based. What i Mean, is that instead of having to punch a sequence of keys at just the right time in order to do one ridiculous special punch, the A.I. tells when you can execute unlocked moves. It has to be that way because you are usually fighting between 3 and 10 enemies all at once. But it works out very well. I say the combat is great for button mashers, being there are only about 4 buttons you actually use during all the combat, but the A.I. does very well at keeping it interesting and brutal.

Negatives about the game. The main story line is too short, there is a touch of 'more is better' in the game, meaning there are a lot of scavenging locations that are all uneventful giving the game a repetitive feel at times, ( it's also good thing). When I say good thing, I don't mean the repetition, what I mean is, the setting is immersive. You can go from taking down an armored convey with tons of explosions and action and excitement, to a nice calm wasteland experience with a vacant feeling of eeriness in a few minutes. However, there can always be danger. If you step out of your car on the road, you are fresh meat for somebodies grill if you are not careful.

As far as an RPG, it is not very good. Obviously you are Mad Max, not a custom character or species, and levelling up and character building always ends up the same, there are no special stats to hone, you unlock the moves and weapons as you progress, and are always the same exact character in the end.

But with all that said, if you want some good action, Mad Max is worth having in your list.

As for me, I've been a Mad Max fan since I was younger and the game did the movie series good justice. In fact the back story of this game should be made into the next Mad MAx movie in my opinion. It's awesome.

Currently I am looking for the next Gen RPG to replace Skyrim, and please don't say the Witcher 3. Not trying to be a critic but honestly, the game just doesn't keep me interested. Not enough action or heroics, or something, just isn't there. I need a replacement for Skyrim. I am one of those who likes the AAA games, sorry, but the old graphics and short games just don't cut it for me. I wish I could enjoy AA games, but I've been at it too long and I want the beautiful landscapes, and gripping stories, and action and fantasy. All of it. Does anyone have any suggestions for a next gen open world rpg?

Wasn't trying to hijack your thread.