Question/Suggestion

GoldDawn13

Is there a way to change how much RAM is being allocated to the game through vortex? i don't remember if there was in NMM but ever since i switched, which hasn't been long, my game has frozen frequently before continueing a few seconds later. i'm not a computer genious but i know in other games that happens and normally when i allocate more RAM it fixes the problem. so is there a way to do that and if not, can there be?

i have 42 mods active, which isn't as many as i sometimes have and most of them are my smaller mods. this never happened with NMM unless there was just a conflict but then it was crashing not freezing, i might be doing something wrong or it's something with my laptop, like i said, i'm not a computer genius, but if someone can either point me in the right direction or add that feature that would be great

Is there a way to change how much RAM is being allocated to the game through vortex? i don't remember if there was in NMM but ever since i switched, which hasn't been long, my game has frozen frequently before continueing a few seconds later. i'm not a computer genious but i know in other games that happens and normally when i allocate more RAM it fixes the problem. so is there a way to do that and if not, can there be?

i have 42 mods active, which isn't as many as i sometimes have and most of them are my smaller mods. this never happened with NMM unless there was just a conflict but then it was crashing not freezing, i might be doing something wrong or it's something with my laptop, like i said, i'm not a computer genius, but if someone can either point me in the right direction or add that feature that would be great

Despite the fables and legends of what NMM supposedly could do, in the end, all it was, was a Mod Manager, just like Vortex, and neither of them can Allocate RAM, not can any other Mod Manager.

This will never be a feature added to ANY mod Manager because it's not a function of a mod manager.

What you're probably thinking of is using ENBBoost, but again, that has nothing to do with a mod manager.

With software that runs in a virtual machine (Java, .Net) you can specify how much memory you assign to the VM .

With native software (like almost all games) they will mostly just allocate as much memory as they need and if there isn't enough they crash.

The best remedy against that is to make sure you have sufficient virtual memory set up through Windows System Settings. That way it should be much less likely your system runs out of memory and the game will probably become extremely slow long before it crashes due to lack of memory.

There are also ini settings that will affect how much memory the game needs and obviously the type of mods you have has an influence. You say you have only 42 but that doesn't matter at all, even a single mod that replaces all textures with 4k variants will see your memory usage (VRAM in this case) skyrocket and cause a crash.

You say you're running a laptop and it's freezing for a few seconds before continuing. You could check if your system maybe sends your disk to sleep upon inactivity. Since the game caches as much data as possible it's possible your disk idles long enough to go to sleep and then takes a bit to spin up once data needs to be read again.

This is of course just a blind guess. You could check your Windows Event Log to see if your freezes coincide with notifications there.