"Unknown Error1" when exporting nif file

Deleted51618351User

• 2 weeks later...

I had that issue with 3ds max 2010 (i create in 2017 and export as fbx to 2010, then export as nif from 2010) and i solved it by isolating a much smaller part of the mesh, then attaching the small part to the initial mesh again. You could probably also create a random box, then attach the object that gives you issue to the box, then delete the box and readjust the pivot and rename the object. I suspect the problem has to do with material or something, and when you attach the problematic mesh to a new object it resets it and solves the problem.

Hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Usually that is due to too many vertices in your mesh but other than that it may be your armour is not set to be limited to 4 bones. If it says 20 bones sometimes you can have problems. If that doesn't help then you may need to start from the top. Re rig the whole thing. I've also ran into nif import version being wrong or installed wrong. So I have 3ds max 2016 with nif export/importer I believe mine is beta 2 not alpha.

• 4 weeks later...

I came across this problem while exporting vanilla Skyrim SE .nif files after I've edited them in 3ds Max 2018. It doesn't happen to every mesh and I've only seen it on vanilla files. I managed to fix it by deleting the "BSDismemberSkin Modifier" modifier before exporting. You'll be able to successfully export it but that modifier contains the partition data for the mesh (what parts of a sleeve disappear after you equip gauntlets, for example) so you'll have to reset it manually. Open the .nif in NifSkope, look inside the BSTriShape or the NiTriStrips that corresponds to the mesh, and convert the NiSkinInstance to a BSDismemberSkinInstance, after that save and import it to Outfit Studio where you'll be able to quickly set the partitions yourself.

I believe you won't need to do this every time you export a mesh. After I've done this once for a mesh I've always been able to bring it back to 3ds Max and export it without problems from there on.

• 1 year later...

When exporting with 3dsMax 2018 - the NIF tools gives "unknown error1" pop up window when I try to export a skinned mesh and export fails.

Anybody find solutions for this? Or have alternate art pipelines that work better than Max 2018?

Are there any newer versions of 3dsMax and nif tools that are working better?

ok - I've done some trial and error with this.. Confirmed Yes - it is a 4+ bone weighting bug warning.

The NIF tools / Max export "unknown error 1" is a skin warning that you have more than 4 bones influencing a vertex. Would have been convenient if the tool gave this warning an explanation.

The problem is that once you get this error - even if you correct the problem, the error warning often persists... so you have to do a clean start from the beginning and you won't get this error. I did have a few cases where I made small adjustments and did not get the error afterwards..

I discovered that after I did a "skin wrap" to clothing that the "advanced parameters" tab on the SKIN in my stack starts at a stupid default of 20 and had to be set to 4. I also needed to check for low junk skin weights and remove them. So I applied "Remove Zero Weights" and other tools to purge inconsequential junk weight from bones that shouldn't be influencing my asset.

In a few cases after I got this error I had to completely delete and restart my skin weighting and prep my skinning before i export and hit this warning. But typically if I am careful and do my preflight check before I publish to NIF and watch for 4 bone weighting I have no errors making skinned clothing/armor.