Ads for premium members

cumbrianlad

Hi.

I've not looked at mods on Nexus for a month or two, until today.

I tried to look at mods for SSE and lo and behold ads everywhere. Never had any since I joined.

My browser (IE) went haywire. I couldn't scroll, could barely bring down the categories menu and attempting to log in just had the spinning gearwheel of doom!

I logged into the forums to check my membership status (no ads here, thankfully, or else I'd have been up that well-known creek). All I did was type 'membership status' into the 'what's on your mind' box. Up pops a notification saying that my status has been updated.

Going back into Nexus SSE mods, all the ads were gone. It's as if Nexus suddenly lost my premium membership.

I just thought I'd post this in case anyone else has the same issue.

You really shouldn't be using IE...... It is outdated, and no longer supported. Chrome, or Firefox would be better options, and ad blockers aren't a bad idea either...... Considering that ads are not the favorite vector for malware...... :D

Ok. I'll try Firefox... used to use it anyway.

I'm not sure if that explains why the mod site suddenly gave me ads yesterday, though. It did the same thing again today and also wouldn't let me log in from there. Once I'd logged in to the forum, the ads went from the mod site... strange.

Thanks for the advice.

That should have been "ads are NOW the favorite vector......."..... Darn keyboard.

I run firefox, and ublock origin. Works great.

As a premium member, you shouldn't be seeing ads in any event.......

Edited by HeyYou

If you aren't logged in to the site then you're going to see ads - your Premium Membership applies to your account. If you're not logged into your account, then you won't be "Premium".

Dark One, I appreciate the comment, but I never used to see ads when I first opened Nexus mods, even without logging in.

The issue now is that the ads show up and I am incapable of logging in because the ads screw my browser up so much that the log-in doesn't work.

I wouldn't mind logging in and going back to the page I was looking at... but I can't.

My work-around at the mo is to log in on Nexus Forums, then open the Nexus mods page so I can use it... frustrating.

Edit: this just gets worse. I just tried to post a comment on the mods site, praising an author... it won't post... I just get the whirling gearwheel of doom again, even when I'm logged in...

...damn it, this is getting ridiculous.

Something has changed at Nexus because I haven't altered my PC at all. I need help before I give up on Nexus completely. I downloaded a great mod, tested it, endorsed it and now I can't even let the author know how much I appreciate their hard work?

Edit 2: No, I cancelled the post whilst the gearwheel was still spinning and lo and behold it is now visible on the author's page! I don't know what's going on any more. I do know this has never happened to me before.

Edit 3: Just had the same issue as above (edit 2) whilst trying to post a comment about 'Helgen Reborn'. I got it to show up but only after going to the description tab and then back to the comments tab. WTF?

Hi.

Thanks for the advice.

Dark One, I tried Firefox and have been able to log in to Nexus Mods directly. I was also able to post normally. Looks like you were right.

Why IE suddenly failed like this is beyond me, but so long as Firefox resolves the problem, that's fine by me.

If anyone else encounters the problem while using IE, you should try Dark One's advice and switch browsers.

Since you're a Premium Members choosing to log in 1st at forums.nexusmods.com; then switch to the Nexus Mods page: www.nexusmods.com you can avoid the adverts that appear for guests. If you do it that way you will be missing out on some spectacular new games that Robin's new advert affiliates share there though.

Only Premium Members won't see the adverts on the mod page.

Since you're a Premium Members choosing to log in 1st at forums.nexusmods.com; then switch to the Nexus Mods page: www.nexusmods.com you can avoid the adverts that appear for guests. If you do it that way you will be missing out on some spectacular new games that Robin's new advert affiliates share there though.

Only Premium Members won't see the adverts on the mod page.

Thanks.

I can live without ads though.

Since I started using Firefox, the problem of not being able to use the Nexus Mods at all has disappeared. Now I can open it and log in no problem, so i can see the ads in the few milliseconds it takes to hit the log-in button. Or if something catches my eye I can take a gander.

Best of both worlds, I guess!