Opinion about Vortex and why don't recommend it for complex modding

maredark3d

Hi, maredark3d (Medieval) here, just want to share my opinion about Vortex, I was out of modding for some time (some months). The following is a kind of complain but also a recomendation, just my point of view. The games I play and mod are TES games mostly.

I usually used Nexus mod manager (NMM), along with Wrye bash, TES V Edit and other tools to mod the games properly, I updated NMM and damn, destroyed my mod list and load order so bad..., the a lot of effort takes mod your games in a detailed and deep way made me wait some months until go back to remod the games properly as I wanted, also I got a new video card so it is good to make a new fresh install of everything.

So I tryied this new tool with TES V Skyrim SE, the description of the tool at Nexus site is: "Vortex is the new, modern mod manager from Nexus Mods. It is designed to make modding your game as simple as possible for new users, while still providing enough control for more experienced veterans of the modding scene."

So yes is designed for new users, "while still providing enough control for more experienced veterans of the modding scene" , I don't agree with that part..., the tool it self is a mess and a tedius effort to try to make every mod conflict and override properly, I understand now why the name is Vortex..., is like an automatic maelstrom of mod installation.

I don't recommend it for exigent modders, just will not help to do the specific and detailed changes needed for a complex modding.

Guest deleted34304850

this from the guy who spent three minutes trying it out, and when asked to provide actual evidence to back up his claims of difficulty and poor load order sorting, did as most others did, and offered nothing.

thanks for your opinion. i've been using vortex for a good long while more than three minutes, and i disagree with every point you made.

I don't recommend it for exigent modders, just will not help to do the specific and detailed changes needed for a complex modding.

what, prey tell, is your definition of "complex modding"?

if you mean it doesn't help you make life harder for yourself, then yes, that's what it's meant to do.

this is written by someone who simply doesn't know what they're talking about and lacks the ability to provide proof of any issue they've had because they are scared to be shown that there are other, better, safer, easier ways to mod their game and those other methods will make them feel somehow less adequate.

"experienced modder" - well done on being able to copy files into a directory. go you.

Edited by 1ae0bfb8

Hi, maredark3d (Medieval) here, just want to share my opinion about Vortex, I was out of modding for some time (some months). The following is a kind of complain but also a recomendation, just my point of view. The games I play and mod are TES games mostly.

I usually used Nexus mod manager (NMM), along with Wrye bash, TES V Edit and other tools to mod the games properly, I updated NMM and damn, destroyed my mod list and load order so bad..., the a lot of effort takes mod your games in a detailed and deep way made me wait some months until go back to remod the games properly as I wanted, also I got a new video card so it is good to make a new fresh install of everything.

So I tryied this new tool with TES V Skyrim SE, the description of the tool at Nexus site is: "Vortex is the new, modern mod manager from Nexus Mods. It is designed to make modding your game as simple as possible for new users, while still providing enough control for more experienced veterans of the modding scene."

So yes is designed for new users, "while still providing enough control for more experienced veterans of the modding scene" , I don't agree with that part..., the tool it self is a mess and a tedius effort to try to make every mod conflict and override properly, I understand now why the name is Vortex..., is like an automatic maelstrom of mod installation.

If you try to make Vortex work like NMM, then you'll find it difficult to use.

You need to drop the terrible habits NMM ingrains in you, and stop worrying about your Plugin Load Order, and spend your time on the load order that's important, the MOD load order, that determines which Textures and Meshes overwrite each other.

So far everybody that has complained about Vortex being too complex to sort your load order, hasn't spent much time with it at all, because I can get a working load order in just a few minutes.

My routine is to download and install all the mods I want without worrying about which ones I install first or last, and when I'm done installing, I then start resolving Conflicts, which takes a few "LOAD BEFORE" or "LOAD AFTER" choices, and boom, I'm done.

There is no "Mess" or Tedious Effort, if you know what you're doing, however, if you're poking around in the dark, (like you admitted to only using Vortex for 3 minutes), then yea, you're going to achieve NOTHING.

Even opening up the Knowledge Base and reading the "Managing your Load Order" section would've helped you, along with the built in Video tutorials.

I didnt made this post for "personal prejudges or child thick minds",

In short I'm just saying the tool isn't good for complex Elder Scrolls or Fallout modding,

Guest deleted34304850

and yet again, you've spectacularly failed to justify your argument with any hard facts or evidence.

at least you're consistent.

let me know when you're able to define "complex modding". .thanks.

Disagree strongly. I have been modding TES games since before Morrowind. I know my way around so to speak. I think some of my mods (either ones I made or use) are as complex as they come. Vortex gives you as little or as much automation as you want. Since you provide literally no reasons except "it is a mess", I have to conclude you either haven't actually used it or you don't know what you are doing.

In short I'm just saying the tool isn't good for complex Elder Scrolls or Fallout modding,

I am sorry - your statement is kind of silly.

I use Vortex for both Skyrims and Fallout 4. Roughly 150 mods each. Up to 8 profiles each.

I consider this relatively complex.

Maybe it is not for you and your "exigent modders" but it is fine for what I want to do.

You have voiced your opinion, and we accept it as such. That does not make it true.

Nice Ad hominem just because people DISAGREED with you.

As I said, Vortex is quite easy to use if you spend more than three minutes (as you claimed in your other thread) with it, and read the knowledge base, and watch the built in video tutorials about LOAD ORDER.

We're disagreeing with you, because like so many others before you, who complained about "Vortex being to hard" and convoluted, and difficult to use etc etc, it always turned out that the person had either:

1. Not even USED Vortex.

2. Spent only a few (like 3 ) minutes messing with it

3. Tried to force it to be NMM

4. All of the above.

I have 259 mods with SSE, with only about 8 plugins hand placed, by simply opening up the Manage Rules window and making a rule for Plugin A to LOAD AFTER Plugin B, took all of 45 seconds.

My SSE game hasn't CTD'd YET.

I have 279 mods in Fallout 4, 16 plugins are hand placed, again with the easy "Manage Rules" window, where I make a rule, and apply it to the plugins.

I could also arrange them by assigning them to a GROUP, but I find the Manage Rules much faster.

I have 144 mods Converted and Installed for Oblivion

29 Mods installed for Enderal and 125 mods installed for Fallout New Vegas.

Installing and sorting Mods and Plugins is actually much easier and faster in Vortex, because you don't have to install things in a certain order in order to get MOD B Meshes and Textures top overwrite "Some of MOD A's meshes and textures.

Instead you install them in whatever order you want, and when Vortex says there's a conflict, you tell it to SHOW you the conflict, it brings up a window with MOD A and MOD B, and you tell Vortex to Load MOD B AFTER Mod A.

I did this with Oblivion Character Overhaul, where you're supposed to install OCO v2 1st, then overwrite the body with a different Body Texture, then overwrite the skeleton with a different skeleton, then overwrite some of OCO's textures with a compatibility patch.

And if you screw that up in NMM, you have uninstall ALL of that and start over.

With Vortex I told Vortex to load OCO before the body texture, told the body texture to load after OCO, Told the skeleton to LOAD AFTER OCO to overwrite the skeleton, , then told the compatibility patch to load after all of that.

Vortex overwrote/restored the files for me

It's worth it to spend time with it, otherwise, if you're not going to put effort into it, you always have the option of downloading the latest updated NMM

As far as complex modding, most if not ALL of my mod esps, are customized by myself.
I usually run a weightless script on my load order to make ingredients, scrolls, rings, keys and books weightless (Because I think it's stupid to be running around in full plate armor and all of a sudden I can't move because I picked a Juniper Berry)

The script also TAGS everything in my load order as well, (Scroll), (Key) (Spell Tome), (Potion) etc.

So, out of 259 esps and esms, probably 30 never get touched.

I also download mods that make game setting changes or add more gold, to a vendor etc, so instead of having extra esps for those things, I just load them up, make my own patch, and COPY AS OVERRIDE all of the game change settings from those types of mods and combine them into one big patch, and uninstall the original mods.

I also use WryeBash, mainly for the Tweaks, and use MatorSmash for the Leveled Lists, or sometimes just stick with WryeBash instead
I usually have Xedit open more than the game itself.

So, I beg to differ, Vortex is a fantastic tool for "complex Elder Scrolls or Fallout modding", I should know, that's what I use it for.
I even have my own custom version of VIS-G that removes all of the Icons that causes Fallout 4 to crash when you find a unique item, as I prefer TEXT tags, icons mean NOTHING to me, at my age where I forget what they represent between play sessions.