problems with light sources flickering/turning on and off

Demonik420

Hey there nexus I am having a problem with light sources in my game. I actually saw something written about it on a mod page but it was before I had experienced the problem and I can for the life of me find where the heck it was.

Basically the light sources in my game are having problems.. whenever I angle the camera a certain way or walk closer or further away or move in any way some light sources around me seem to turn on or off and on again or whatever.. there is no constant variable it seems. Its like lights just bug out and start turning on and off all around me whenever I move or move the camera.. It doesn't always happen but it does most of the time. Also I was told that this might be because of a failing gpu if I am experiencing it in all games HOWEVER it is only happening to me in skyrim!!!

If anyone knows a solution please help me. I have played the game since it came out with hardly any problems and now I have this one :S.. if I get time I will record a video of whats happening.

http://youtu.be/DxNUlWiXNlM HERES A VID OF THE PROBLEM I MADE!

Edited by Demonik420

thank you for the help unfortunatly I already have this mod and shadow striping isn't the problem I am having

hmm, i occasionally have the same issue, though it's rare and usually in a cave, maybe try turning that mod off then, because it does tweak the lighting, also if you read the info on that mod it suggests some changes to make in the skyrimprefs.ini

you could always stick your save games somewhere safe, completely uninstall and delete everything skyrim, reinstall everything and mess around with the mod load order.

Edited by Vulgar1

Are you using any mods? Or did you modify your skyrim.ini, skyrimprefs.ini?

If not..uhh, maybe some driver problem? That's the only thing I can think of without any info.

YES i HAVE some mods and I have modified the skyrim prefs ini Its hard to say whats doing it I just wondered if anyone had had the same problem. I will try deactivating the shadow striping mod atleast. as far as changing the ini I don't know what to change back that would affect this.

Basically it is effecting light sources such as braziers and torches. sometimes outside sometimes inside. It even effects the loading screen.. when I spin an object around sometimes there is a certain angle that the lighting goes dark and the item goes black and then when its spun past that angle it returns. however the strange thing is if I spin it a few more times then it may fix itself or the spot where it darkens may change. as for light sources when I'm in caves it usually my light spell that will fail to light up 1 or two surfaces but will still light up the rest. and then when I move around those areas will turn off and on again and flicker a bit.

When I am outside usually I will be walking towards a building and it will look strangely dark then as I get closer it lights itself up (but I mean really close and yes my lighting and spec fades are all the way up) and then if I say turn to the left slightly once I'm close to the light source it will turn off again then as I turn back to look at it it turns back on or visa versa. Or the lighting will be on but as i approach it turns off.

thanks for the suggestions guys !

http://youtu.be/DxNUlWiXNlM HERE IS A VIDEO OF THE PROBLEM THAT I MADE!!!

Edited by Demonik420

Has none else had this problem? I saw a fix written on a mod page but wasnt having the problem!!! has anyone seen that or ever heard of this?!

Hi, I have this problem also, and don't know the cause, it is annoying! For now I simply use Omni (no shadow) lights and it does not happen. I read somewhere that if your lights overlap it can cause this, I have reduced my light sphere's so they do not overlap, but it still does it.

Hi, I have this problem also, and don't know the cause, it is annoying! For now I simply use Omni (no shadow) lights and it does not happen. I read somewhere that if your lights overlap it can cause this, I have reduced my light sphere's so they do not overlap, but it still does it.

Hey just thaught I would let you know that i poped this question on the realistic lighting page and this is what one of the mod autors had to say...

"@ Demonik420 The problem you are seeing is a limitation with the game engine when there are too many lights casting in the same area and this limit is about 4 lights. This limitation is evident even on vanilla Skyrim in MANY places. Any mod that alters lighting range/radius will probably make this effect worse as many lights are encroaching on one another. We have added numerous lights with 4.0 (3.4a doesn't alter lighting radius or lighting count - so that issue you see is from vanilla WoW or from torch mods) and try our best to minimize flickering in normal play without a torch, but in some instances it is just unavoidable. There are some areas in 4.0 that this still occurs such as Markarth and Whiterun and no matter what we try to do - when a torch or magelight is out the flickering occurs. These issues also happen with other games that use the same engine, such as fallout and oblivion."

So i am guessing that it is a problem with the engine that cannot be fixed at this time from what i understand.. kinda sucks but its good to know that this is not just some mod creating the problem.