Infinite loading screen, mods, skse64, & vortex

Firefrorefiddle

So when I first arrived at the forums, I didn't see there was a separate forum for Special Edition and posted in Oldrim instead. If I'm not giving enough info here you can find more info on what has been going on there (my mod list has changed slightly, I'll update that when I can): https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7813043-sse-skse64-vortex-input-borked/

So, I'm running Windows 10 on a computer with an Intel i7 2.6GHz processor with 16GB RAM. I manage my mods with Vortex and am not new to modding- I used NMM & LOOT & skse with Oldrim. But I've never used Wyre, just can't get a handle on it. (I still use LOOT actually, even with vortex having it, because I'm used to the way it presents information. I just have it installed separately as well. SSSEdit too.)

A couple days ago, I decide it's finally time to add SKSE64 and SkyUI to my SSE experience. Up until then I had about 40 mods working together pretty well, game only crashed very occasionally. Installing SKSE64 and getting SkyUI to recognize it was more work than expected, see other thread for the full saga, but it's working now. ...as long as I give the computer an extra minute or two after it starts up to start the game, anyway. The getskseversion command works fine.

But, having deleted my saved games because I was ready for something new, now every time I try to start a new game, I'm stuck. The game confirms I want to start a new game, the menu options go away, the smoke starts, the music continues... and it just sits there like that until I use task manager to close the game.

As I said I have to give the computer an extra minute to start up or else SKSE64 doesn't work properly. If I don't, a new game starts up just fine but I get SkyUI Error code 1 and the getskseversion command isn't recognized. So I'm assuming the problem lies with skse somehow.

Things I have tried and checked:
Both skse64 and sse are the correct version numbers.
Both skse64 dll files and the exe file are in the folder with the sse exe files.
The data files have been copied into the data folder (not as an archive, had no luck with that,, when I have uninstalled & reinstalled I just search the files by date modified, all skse64 data files were last modified March 14 this year).
Am running skse64 as administrator. (Not running Vortex or SSE as administrator.)
LOOT recognizes SKSE64 and says it is up to date (and did so well before SSE did).
Checked my mods with Vortex & LOOT, deleted troublesome ones or fixed them with SSEdit, none of those left are dirty or apparently having any problems.
Downloaded the SSE Engine Fixes mod to use with SKSE64 and manually installed the 3 dll files in the same folder with SSE and SKSE64. Nothing changed.
I have the skse loader correctly found with the Vortex button and made it primary to make starting the game easier through Vortex.
I checked my plugins.txt file and all the mods have the asterisk, including skyui- or it did, I've tried a lot of things since then to be fair, I will probably check this again tomorrow just to be safe.
Tried disabling every plugin & mod I've installed in the last week (so including several days before this mess started) in Vortex and started the game again- still infinite loading screen.
Just got fun tried clicking the "run in shell" button while editing the Vortex button, did nothing, undid it.
And restarted the computer itself several times while doing all this.

Thoughts? Thanks for reading all that anyway.

Edited by Firefrorefiddle

So this morning I tried using the SSE Engine Fixes memory manager- that made the game not start up at all so I turned it off again. I watched this video:

which talked about SSE Engine Fixes having to come after the SKSE64 scripts in the load order. In order to do that, I went into the files, moved the SKSE64 data files to a folder on my desktop (and checked to make sure the src files were gone too), turned them into an archive, added them to my vortex load list, and made SSE Engine Fixes dependent on it so that it loads after the scripts. After all that... game starts up fine, getskseversion gives me the correct numbers, infinite load screen on trying to start a new game.

(Now I'm getting this warning from LOOT: "It appears you have installed Skyrim Script Extender, but its required scripts seem to be missing. Please ensure you have correctly installed the scripts bundled with the SKSE installation archive." So I think it can't recognize they're archived? But if the game couldn't find them then the getskseversion command wouldn't work, surely? It still says my SKSE is up to date.)

Here's the current load order from LOOT:

0 0 Skyrim.esm
1 1 Update.esm
2 2 Dawnguard.esm
3 3 HearthFires.esm
4 4 Dragonborn.esm
254 FE 0 ccqdrsse001-survivalmode.esl
5 5 Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
6 6 LegacyoftheDragonborn.esm
7 7 SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp
8 8 DLCIntegration.esp
9 9 Immersive Sounds - Compendium.esp
10 a Cutting Room Floor.esp
11 b Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
254 FE 1 DBM_CRF_Patch.esp
254 FE 2 DBM_ISC_Patch.esp
12 c Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
254 FE 3 Qw_ISC_CRF Patch.esp
13 d Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
254 FE 4 Joy of Perspective.esp
254 FE 5 SkyUI_SE.esp
14 e AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
15 f skyBirds_SSE.esp
16 10 Point The Way.esp
17 11 Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp
18 12 Holidays.esp
19 13 Immersive Weapons.esp
20 14 Immersive Encounters.esp
21 15 Immersive Patrols II.esp
254 FE 6 DBM_IW_Patch.esp
254 FE 7 DBM_IA_Patch.esp
22 16 DiverseDragonsCollectionSE.esp
23 17 Dr_Bandolier.esp
24 18 The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
25 19 Gildergreen Regrown.esp
26 1a HearthfireMultiKid.esp
27 1b HireServants.esp
28 1c IcePenguinWorldMap.esp
29 1d UnreadBooksGlow.esp
254 FE 8 AFT_NoFriendlySpellDamage.esp
254 FE 9 AutoHideAmmo.esp
254 FE a BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp
254 FE b Qw_BarenziahQuestMarkers_USSEP Patch.esp
254 FE c Celtic Music in Skyrim - Combat.esp
254 FE d Celtic_Music_In_Skyrim_SE.esp
254 FE e Celtic_Music_In_Skyrim_SE_Dungeon.esp
254 FE f HearthfireMultiKid_LastName.esp
254 FE 10 KhajiitsStealToo.esp
254 FE 11 RDO - AFT v1.66 Patch.esp
254 FE 12 RDO - CRF + USSEP Patch.esp
254 FE 13 RichMerchantsSkyrim_x2.esp
30 1e Animallica.esp
254 FE 14 JoP - Immersive Armors Patch.esp
31 1f AMatterOfTime.esp
254 FE 15 Jop - LegacyOfDragonborn.esp
32 20 Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
33 21 Alternate Start -- New Beginnings.esp
34 22 DBM_RelicHunter.esp
254 FE 16 Bashed Patch, 0.esp

I then tried disabling the SSE Engine Fixes mod and removing the DLL files and the log file one had made, and nothing changed. So I turned the mod back on, readded the DLL & log files, removed the scripts archive from the load order, and put the scripts back into the Data folder unarchived. Again, nothing changed. So SSE Engine Fixes can crash my game, if I try to use the Memory Manager, but it can't help me. It's gotta be the SKSE64 somehow.

I tried turning skse64 off, and I noticed something. With skse64 on, it just goes straight to the menu fullscreen when the game starts. With it off, I get the little partial screen box where you choose "PLAY" and can mess with options, and then the Bethesda opening graphic and "boom boom" noise, and then the fullscreen menu.

What does that mean? Is the game not properly restarting and truly turning off with skse64 installed?

I deleted it. No change. Thank you for the suggestion!

Also I'm not sure if I've said but I went ahead and got rid of the archived data files and the "mod" of them on Vortex and just put them back into the file tree. That's how they were the one time I got everything to work, anyway. I'm no longer getting that warning from LOOT at least.

I've seen a lot of people talking about putting Skyrim SE with SKSE64 into a separate folder, away from Steam. But I can't find a tutorial on how to do it without ruining everything, though I swear I've seen one in the last several days as I've been looking into this. Does anybody have a link to one, preferably for working with Vortex?

Also I keep seeing people say to check if your plugins have access to all the master files they need. How do I check that in Vortex? My separate install of LOOT isn't seeing any trouble like that.

ETA: I checked them all on Vortex and am not seeing any errors, so I don't think this is an issue.

Here is my skse.log file contents:

SKSE64 runtime: initialize (version = 2.0.16 01050500 01D53BFD74FD1754, os = 6.2 (9200))
imagebase = 00007FF73EFD0000
reloc mgr imagebase = 00007FF73EFD0000
config path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\SKSE\skse.ini
plugin directory = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\SKSE\Plugins\
checking plugin C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\SKSE\Plugins\\EngineFixes.dll
registering plugin listener for SKSE at 1 of 2
plugin C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\SKSE\Plugins\\EngineFixes.dll (00000001 EngineFixes plugin 00000003) loaded correctly
checking plugin C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\SKSE\Plugins\\PapyrusUtil.dll
plugin C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\SKSE\Plugins\\PapyrusUtil.dll (00000001 papyrusutil plugin 00000002) loaded correctly
dispatch message (0) to plugin listeners
sending message type 0 to plugin 1
dispatched message.
dispatch message (1) to plugin listeners
sending message type 1 to plugin 1
dispatched message.
init complete
hooked dinput
dispatch message (6) to plugin listeners
sending message type 6 to plugin 1
dispatched message.
Reading translations from Interface\Translations\LegacyoftheDragonborn_ENGLISH.txt...
Reading translations from Interface\Translations\Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation_ENGLISH.txt...
Reading translations from Interface\Translations\SkyUI_SE_ENGLISH.txt...
Reading translations from Interface\Translations\Holidays_ENGLISH.txt...
Reading translations from Interface\Translations\AMatterOfTime_ENGLISH.txt...
dispatch message (8) to plugin listeners
sending message type 8 to plugin 1
dispatched message.
GetSKSEVersion_Execute