Vortex.exe deleted itself

Antioch666

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've discovered a possible case where this could happen. If the user shuts down their PC during a Vortex update, it is possible that the old install would be deleted but the system would shut off before the new version could be properly installed.

The Vortex team are working on a solution to this.

Hi everyone,

First posting, this has just happen to me (9:00am UTC 29/11/20), I am not running an separate AV, just the Win 10 1909 build, turn on this morning and its gone.

Right click on the shortcut click on properties, open file location, the Vortex folder is empty, nothing there at all.

Did check the Vortex Mods/fallout4 folder and all the Mods are there.

Click on the download Vortex, installed in the same directory / folder.

Its seemed to install correctly.

It did flash the Vortex splash logo several times before lunching the Vortex dash board, a bit worrying.

But all my games are there with their Mods.

I have just launch an game with 40 odd mods and everything is as normal, like it never happen.

Admittedly Vortex was asking to update itself, but I did not confirm the update, as in I did not click on it.

Question: Would it Vortex update itself, if the user did not say after period of time???

Question: In the process of updating would it delete itself???

Also when shutting down for the night, I did not get any messages from windows that Vortex was running any tasks.

Question: Would Vortex notify windows that is running an task when updating itself???

If you are running tasks and then decided to shut down windows it would ask you to confirm before shutting down.

I will await another update I guess.

[...]

Admittedly Vortex was asking to update itself, but I did not confirm the update, as in I did not click on it.

Question: Would it Vortex update itself, if the user did not say after period of time???

Question: In the process of updating would it delete itself???

Also when shutting down for the night, I did not get any messages from windows that Vortex was running any tasks.

Question: Would Vortex notify windows that is running an task when updating itself???

If you are running tasks and then decided to shut down windows it would ask you to confirm before shutting down.

I will await another update I guess.

Vortex updates itself when you close the app, even if you ignore the notification. If you force shut-down your PC it may cause the updater to stop midway with the current version deleted but without the new version installed. The "The following apps are preventing Windows from shutting down" message should generally appear if Vortex is mid-update when you shut down.

Edit: Question from the devs - Do you use the default installer or the custom location installer? (Is Vortex installed outside of C:\Program Files\etc?)

Edited by Pickysaurus