Suggestion thread for Vortex improvements

Mornedil

I think the overall point is that Vortex functions differently than NMM and we need to let go of old (bad) habits. However, LOOT is still LOOT whether used as standalone or the integrated version in Vortex.

Yes and no. There is still functionality in LOOT thats missing in Vortex, unless I'm missing something. LOOT tells me whether mods need updating or whether theres a patch available between two mods in my load order and even that my copy of USSEP is incompatible with my version of the game.exe (seriously I didn't even know that was a thing). I can't find anything in the settings in Vortex that tells me any of that. If I'm guilty of not reading the documentation fully and its in there somewhere (probably guilty on that part) then I hold up my hands.

Unless I am misunderstanding, you can find this information on the plugins view. If you see a warning symbol in the flags column, double click on the plugin to bring up the sidebar. This sidebar will show all of the details about the plugin, including the LOOT messages it sounds like you are looking for.

Apologies, I'm not at my computer right now, or else I'd also include some screenshots.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the overall point is that Vortex functions differently than NMM and we need to let go of old (bad) habits. However, LOOT is still LOOT whether used as standalone or the integrated version in Vortex.

Yes and no. There is still functionality in LOOT thats missing in Vortex, unless I'm missing something. LOOT tells me whether mods need updating or whether theres a patch available between two mods in my load order and even that my copy of USSEP is incompatible with my version of the game.exe (seriously I didn't even know that was a thing). I can't find anything in the settings in Vortex that tells me any of that. If I'm guilty of not reading the documentation fully and its in there somewhere (probably guilty on that part) then I hold up my hands.

Unless I am misunderstanding, you can find this information on the plugins view. If you see a warning symbol in the flags column, double click on the plugin to bring up the sidebar. This sidebar will show all of the details about the plugin, including the LOOT messages it sounds like you are looking for.

Apologies, I'm not at my computer right now, or else I'd also include some screenshots.

Like this?

Actually I posted a screenshot on how to do that in the Second Post of this whole thread, on the first page.

Hi all,

I searched on Google and Nexus forums, and it turned out that only one guy suggested this : https://github.com/Nexus-Mods/Vortex/issues/4141

That is "multiple variants of the same game" idea. I know there is profile management, but that's not what I want. I tried it and it works well. To have different langages between two or more installations is side idea for me, to the contrary of the Github topic guy. My idea was ratjer to test one or more things as it exists scripted mods that are not all unactivated at 100% when just plugin deactivated by profile management, they're still in the folder, and may f**k up your present load order. (Don't know maybe two mod altering the same things e.g Taverns, may have scripts with the same name and replace one another without switching back, forcing the user to reinstall some of his mods ? something like that)

That's for security that I would rather use two or more different folders of Skyrim, just in case, to be sure no scripts are left back in the folder half unactivated. Or, at least have different Data folders in the same Skyrim install folder, that we can switch between with Vortex maybe ?

Also I tried playing around with game extensions (inside Vortex install folder you have these extension folders with files to make the software recognize your games, for those who don't know about and are reading my post) but no luck, I couldn't find any way to force Vortex have 2 entries. Well yes but not separated in fact, so it is frustrating.

I don't need this soon, now, presto, I just push the idea from the Github thread to Nexus Forums just so the dev's know that there's more than only one guy who would like this to be a real thing.

PS : It maybe exists another thread on this subject but I could find it with my key words, as I don't know other manners to formulate "multiple variants of a game" so yeah, please be kind.

See you guys.

@Duriel7

In the referenced GitHub post, Tannin says, "Supporting multiple variants of a game is on our todo list but it's probably still some time off." Multiple variants is a great idea, and I would like to see it happen. Since Vortex is open source, perhaps there are those reading these posts who could bring their programming expertise to bear on this project.

In the meantime, hard links allow this to some extent. Because of hard links, each Vortex profile for the same game can be considered a separate data folder. In the case of mods with scripts, there is no need for concern. If such a mod is disabled, then the scripts are no longer in a given profile because the mod's hard link has been removed.

Thank you guys for clarifying things. I didn't mean to come off as rude or to say Vortex was bad (because I dont think it's bad). Just that after my first impressions of Vortex, I could understand where some complaints were coming from since Vortex at a first glance can seem harder to use, but in the end it has more functionality and is a much more sophisticated software.

(and since it was a first impression, my screenshots may not be an accurate representation of the software. They were more to show what a new user would see and why it may seem hard to do what you want to do at a first glance)

Edited by Mornedil

Go to SETTINGS------>THEME-------->pick "COMPACT"

Thanks for that. It's a huge improvement, and doesn't seem to actually "lose" anything of value at all.

Aside from the buttons at the top being pointlessly shrunk by it, when they already take up almost no space, and thus messing up the display of the mod list by forcing it to relocate everything when you mouse over the buttons, this is SO much better. Why on earth isn't this (but with the button antipattern corrected - didn't Dark0ne hire a UI designer specifically for Vortex?) the default theme?!

edit> Since it's just css, I cloned the theme and fixed the toolbar issue. Considering how many people are probably using Vortex by now, I expect there are at least a few others who would like this theme but wouldn't be able to do it themselves. Is there a collection / browsable sort of place for them somewhere?

Edited by tesnexus8

edit> Since it's just css, I cloned the theme and fixed the toolbar issue. Considering how many people are probably using Vortex by now, I expect there are at least a few others who would like this theme but wouldn't be able to do it themselves. Is there a collection / browsable sort of place for them somewhere?

Would you mind posting the code for the fix?

That's my only problem with the compact theme is the hiding toolbar, I want it to stay open

Just delete this whole block from the CSS of your personalized copy of the 'compact' theme. It's the part that changes how the main page header works

// show only icons on the toolbars unless the mouse cursor is hovered on them
.mainpage-header {
    height: 32px !important;
    transition: height 250ms ease 500ms;
    .menubar {
      height: 100%;
    }
}

.mainpage-header:hover {
    height: 64px !important;
    transition: height 250ms ease;
}

.mainpage-header:hover .button-text {
    opacity: 1;
    transition: opacity 250ms ease 100ms;
}

.mainpage-header .button-text {
    opacity: 0;
    transition: opacity 250ms ease;
}

EDIT:
@tesnexus8
What you are looking for is here: https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/categories/13/

Edited by DSPiron