Vortex not Finding Sims 4

Kvoor
Go to solution Solved by rmm200,

I'm running Vortex version 0.19.1

I'm trying to mod Sims 4 with the latest update and expansion of Island Living.

I have around 950 mods give or take a spare file or two of things.

I'm on Windows 10 64x with 16Gb of ram.

I updated my sims 4 game to the newest edition and after that Vortex says that it cannot find find the .exe file for sims 4 despite my direct guide to the game/bin folder. I have uninstalled Vortex and reinstalled it to the drive my Sims 4 game is on (moved from C: drive to D: drive) and I have attempted many scans and manual sets. Vortex finds Stardew Valley just fine despite being on the other drive and it did find the sims on the other drive easily enough before I updated. Did I mess something up with my update? I feel like this was an easy mistake and I'm just overthinking it.

The only error I get is when I try to manually set the location which is: This directory doesn't appear to contain the game. Expected to find these files: game/bin/TS4.exe

The scanning perimeters I've given for the full scan are:

C:\

D:\

D:\Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin

Any other suggestions?

• Solution

Not a direct answer, but just a couple of observations.

It does not matter what drive Vortex is on. The only requirement is that the mod staging folder be on the same drive as the game (hard link requirement).

Sims 4 has to be where the Windows Registry says it is. I.E, it has to be installed by Origin.

My executable is named TS4_x64.exe.

For full scan, I would not go any deeper than D:\Games. It should find it from there.

Note on Sims 4 Mods once you get it working:

Sims 4 mod authors are all over the place on mod packaging.

I use Vortex to manage my Sims 4 mods - but I also check to make sure files that are supposed to go in Tray are actually in Tray.

Same for mods being put in Mods.

Edited by rmm200

Thank you all for your replies and I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for the notes rmm200, I'll keep those in mind.

The .exe file has luckily not change, Pickysaurus; thank you for asking though.

I did give that a go, Tannin42 and it didn't find it; thank you, though that was a good suggestion.

I will try to move around some files once more and see if I can get them to connect,

I'll post an update if I figure it out; thank you everyone.

HA So rmm200 was sort of right! I actually had to move my entire sims game from my D: to my C: and that seemed to have worked it out! This whole Time I was trying to move the sims 4 folder from documents to the D: drive when all I needed to do was move the Sims 4 folder from D: to C:! It's a little strange to have the whole game in my documents but if it works then I'm alright with it!

Thanks again for the help and suggestions, I now understand this program a bit better!