Can't Create Topic for Individual NPC

I can create topics that apply to a wide variety of NPCs and a single NPC but only the first actually works in game.

For example, I want to create a topic where every NPC in Seyda Neen responds the same way except for Elone. So I create a topic called "Seyda Neen Jobs" and I add 2 responses.

1. I don't know much about that. Try asking Elone. (Available to all NPCs in Seyda Neen cell whose id isn't elone.)
  2. I hear Socucius Ergalla is looking for a new tax collector. (Available to only Elone via her id.)

To get the topics to show up in game, I added a script to a book where upon reading it the topic is added. Only the first response shows up.

I've noticed in the TES construction set that when looking at the topics unfiltered, the response was assigned to Elone. When I filtered for her topics, it wasn't there. I've tried adding topics to 1 NPC and even a custom NPC and had the same experience.

I tried adding the topic via topics in the base game and greetings but they don't show up in the filtered list either.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas on how to fix this problem. Thanks in advance.

I kind of figured it out. The dialogue wasn't working because I was using a local variable as a condition. You can only use global variables.

wrong. plenty of local variables are used as condition filters (you have to obviously declare them in the npc/creature local script)