Cannot import mods from NMM

tomkiel

So because I NMM is no longer supported, I had to switch to the dreadful Vortex. And I encountered the thing I feared the most: I can't import my tens of mods. When I go into the importing thingy, where it says "If you have multiple instances of NMM you can select which one to import here:" I can only select \Nexus Mod Manager\Fallout3\Mods Oh and also I'm getting a "Mods can't be deployed" Which makes me unable to play Fallout 3 from Vortex which is just great, did I mention that I hate Vortex?

So because I NMM is no longer supported, I had to switch to the dreadful Vortex. And I encountered the thing I feared the most: I can't import my tens of mods. When I go into the importing thingy, where it says "If you have multiple instances of NMM you can select which one to import here:" I can only select \Nexus Mod Manager\Fallout3\Mods Oh and also I'm getting a "Mods can't be deployed" Which makes me unable to play Fallout 3 from Vortex which is just great, did I mention that I hate Vortex?

Oh. Well, that's lovely. You've formed an opinion on a software you've never even actually used. Great?

I'm not sure what the issue you're having with importing as it sounds like it's doing what you want? Vortex is basically going, "Hey, can you confirm that you want to import Fallout 3 mods (given as '\Nexus Mod Manager\Fallout3\Mods')?". Is there no "Confirm" option or something? Can't tell due to a lack of information in this regard.

As for the "Mods can't be deployed". If I recall correctly, that comes with a "More" option which should then describe why it isn't deploying. The most common reason is that the Mod Staging folder (which is set through Settings > Mods) isn't set to the same drive (and partition) as the game.

Edit: Oh, also forgot to add. But did you bother to check the Knowledge Base section of Vortex? It contains articles containing information on the features that Vortex provides along with help on troubleshooting certain topics. One of them is importing.

I'm going to try and summarize the steps to save you the time of reading through it.

1. After either copying the archive files into Vortex's download folder (appropriate paths are something like .../downloads in Vortex, .../downloads/Fallout3 in File Explorer), or using import function, uninstall all mods from NMM.
  2. Run the purge function through NMM to make sure all files have been removed and game has been reset to it's original state.
  3. (Optional) Delete data folder and verify game through Steam to redownload vanilla files.
  4. Uninstall and reinstall mods so that if they have custom options, the mod will get installed properly.
  5. Once everything is installed, hit the "Deploy Mods" button to make sure mods are deployed into game folder.

Note: You're going to want to deal with conflicts as you go. You'll know there are conflicts when a red lightning bolt shows up. Click on it to deal with the conflict.

Things to do to make it easier on yourself when updating mods:

1. Once mods are installed, CTRL + A to select all. Hit "Guess ID's" that shows up in the bottom toolbar that popped up.
  2. For mods that it was not able to guess the ID's of, double click to bring up additional mod information.
  3. Change "Source" to "NexusMods".
  4. Select appropriate file to grab the meta data. If it still fails, remove mod through Vortex (along with checking the archive option) and redownload mod from site to grab the metadata.
  5. Hit "Deploy Mods" after installing.
Edited by FlamingCheeseMonkey

@tomkiel

So because I NMM is no longer supported, I had to switch to the dreadful Vortex.

No, you did not have to switch to Vortex. NMM is alive and reasonably well in the GitHub community that has supported it for a couple of years now. There's even a convenient link to the site found on the very same Nexxusmods page with the Vortex link.

j8T36R1.jpg

You left off the part where NMM is still supported.

You can download it from the Vortex download page. It is also available of Github.

I do hate to confuse opinions with facts though

Well shucks. Augusta's post was not visible when I made my now redundant one..

Edited by rmm200

Oh. Well, that's lovely. You've formed an opinion on a software you've never even actually used. Great?

I'm not sure what the issue you're having with importing as it sounds like it's doing what you want? Vortex is basically going, "Hey, can you confirm that you want to import Fallout 3 mods (given as '\Nexus Mod Manager\Fallout3\Mods')?". Is there no "Confirm" option or something? Can't tell due to a lack of information in this regard.

What I meant to say, was that Fallout 3 is the ONLY game that I can import mods from, and it's the game with the least mods installed on my PC. I cannot import Skyrim or Fallout 4 mods which I have tons of. In the drop down options I can only select Fallout 3.

Ah, okay.

Another way you can do it, is that if you still have all of the archives (the path to them should be somewhere in NMM's settings), you can copy/cut and paste them into Vortex's download folder (so whatever the download path is + /{GameName}. It's just that the meta data won't be copied over so you'll have to go through the list that I had in my edit to get them.

What I meant to say, was that Fallout 3 is the ONLY game that I can import mods from, and it's the game with the least mods installed on my PC. I cannot import Skyrim or Fallout 4 mods which I have tons of. In the drop down options I can only select Fallout 3.

Probably the new built in safeguard to prevent people from messing up their games by importing too many mods.

As has been pointed out, you do not have to use Vortex if you don't want to. There is a community maintained version of NMM available.

Please consider reading through the news post clarifying this and many other misconceptions about Vortex you might have:

https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14078

That being said, the reason you are only able to import mods from FO3 is because that is the game you are currently managing. Simply switch to e.g. Skyrim and use the import tool again.