[LE] Any way to convert spell to magic effect?

Aye, I sometimes take breaks then come back. I think it's fine now, no errors. However I noticed two things:
- Even after 3 second delay, nothing happens.
- Victim health doesn't go down at all, just grunts immediately.

There is a 95% chance this is my incompetence at work and I either a) Forgot to add damage (very likely) b) Forgot something from script (not very likely, I have checked it multiple times to make sure nothing is missing, but might check it again.) I try to fix these issues. If I can't, I read more of the tutorials. As a last resort I come back.

EDIT: Might be related to that I for some reason changed the duration of the magic effect that I applied to the potion, even though the magic effect itself does the delay. I fixed that and changed it to 0 s.

I just noticed I have to make more things, to make this work. I guess a few more stuff and hopeffuly it will work.

Edited by tothmark0529

So, I have came back for help. I read some tutorials, but I think I did everything as instructed. No errors, crashes or anything like that.
However this happens:
- Even after 3 second delay, nothing happens.
- Victim health doesn't go down at all, just grunts immediately.

I did what foamyesque suggested (screenshots included)
- A magic effect for the spell: https://imgur.com/4LscyiE
- A magic effect with a script for the potion: https://imgur.com/ysI6tyA
- The spell with the explosion magic effect: https://imgur.com/bnCTvqQ
- The potion with the scripted magic effect: https://imgur.com/CmGh46m

Sorry, If I missed any simple options.

While I wait, I try to read some tutorials see if I missed anything.

Any help and advice is appreciated!

Edited by tothmark0529

I might share a download link to make this easier.

[Download link removed until further notice]

If there any incorrect things in the script and the file, please let me know, I try to fix it.

Edited by AureliusOfRome

I think so. I did select it, but after I checked it again it was "NONE". Now I made sure I selected it (again) the correct thing (ExplosionSpell), I compiled it , saved the file, but after I opened it back again the "Edited locally" symbol (The one with the pencil) just disappears for the properties, and the "Pick Object" drop-down menu resets to "NONE".

Auto-fill doesn't work either and I didn't click the "Reset value" button.

EDIT: For some reason it works now, at least I think it does. I just spammed the auto-fill button and hoped for the best.

Edited by AureliusOfRome

If you had invested a couple of days doing the tutorials none of this would be a problem !.

The Scripts can be fill in, in two ways :

1) When you " Edit Base " and place the script to the Object, the fill in properties that you will assign in there will be set as a " GLOBAL ".

Meaning : that any other object ( same ID - type of object ) placed in your cell - world will have automaticly the Script's Properties that you assign when you " Edit Base ".

2) When you open the object's Reference Menu and go to the scripts Section - Tab you can alter the script's Properties ( this is called LOCALY ).

The properties that you will assign LOCALY will only affect that particular object and none other, so...

If in your cell you have 10 potions ( your same potions ) with the Assigned Properties when you " Edit Base ", for example with " Fireball explosion ", but...

In only one of the 10 potions you edit it " LOCALY " and change the explosion to " Frost Explosion ", then you will have 9 with fireball and 1 with frost.

Edited by maxarturo

Alright, alright, I try to check of more of those tutorials then. Meanwhile I did succesfully assigned the ExplosionSpell to the script. However the script still doesn't work. I try to see if I can do anything about it.

Alright, update. I managed to make the float value for the delay time 3 (based on foamyesque first script), and also made the ExplosionSpell the object of SPELL property. However the issues are same. I try to look even more of the tutorials, see If I can make out some kind useful information from it.

Meanwhile, I watch this thread, see if anyone has some kind of tip for this mess.

Here is a summary of what I did:
I followed foamyesque first script as an example and made:
- A magic effect that defines the explosion (I only changed the projectile and the explosion part of the window) No scripts or anything like that. It's constant effect, self delivery, script archetype wiuth no magic skill associated with it. I have also set it to be hostile and detrimental.
- A spell which I applied the magic effect I mentioned above. It's was made from an abBlank duplicate. I also added a 40 magnitude to it, and a 500 magnitude damage health effect.
- A magic effect with a script attached to it for the potion, it has everything. I seleted the object both for SPELL (ExplosionSpell I mentioned earlier) and float value a.k.a. fDelayTime (3) as in the initial value (I checked it a million times).
After that I copy-pasted the rest of the script. No errors. It's a fire and forget, self delivery spell.
- A potion which has that magic effect with a script attached to it. I made it have 40 magnitude and 15 area.

I saved the file, opened it up. It doesn't work:
- The NPCs only grunt when I place poison
- There is no health decrease, nor explosion after 3 second.

I try to look into this more and read even more tutorials.

Meanwhile, any advice and help is appreciated!

EDIT: I fixed it by changing something in the script. The spell actually casts. However there is still no explosion or sound. I try to fix those by myself now.

EDIT 2: Yeah, looks like everything is fixed now. Thank you for the help everyone!

Edited by AureliusOfRome