Dark bar over water

NikiRandom

This is driving me mad, I really hope somebody can help.

When I look out over water, there is a dark bar across the top of the view. It's transparent and moves with the camera and is barely visible under some lighting conditions.

I never had this in Skyrim, it's only since I started playing SSE. So far I've only travelled as far as Riverwood but the effect is visible everywhere that I look out over any water. It's there even in a vanilla install with no mods except SKSE and USSEP and Alternate Start. it gets worse if I install anything like Pure Waters or Realistic Water. I've not played out the vanilla intro yet but I can't see how Alternate Start would cause anything like this?

I've played around with various BethINI settings and GPU options (nVidia GeForce 1050) but nothing seems to make any difference. I don't really know what I'm doing though so I'm just trying random changes.

I'm wondering if it might be something to do with LOD, although the effect is there when the water is no distance away.

I'm absolutely at a loss, I hope someone has some ideas. It's definitely a game issue, the effect is not present anywhere else in my O/S. I even tried wiping the monitor screen : ) I've googled all kinds of search terms but I've not even found anybody with the same issue. Similar, but not the same, and those generally seem to be related to ENB which I don't use.

Screenshot attached.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update - Sorted it, more or less. There's actually quite a lot of discussion about it being a known SSE issue. I was just using the wrong search terms earlier. Or not paying attention, or something : )

I found a solution here -

- which also has a link to a very useful looking couple of example ini files.

I'm just updating my post in case this pops up in search results for other people. I'm relieved it hasn't turned out to be a hardware problem (overstressed GPU for eg) and that I don't have to go through the palaver of a fresh install and set up of the game.

Edited by NikiRandom