Installing SKSE64 for SkyUI on SSE

LotiaQuietus

So, in Vortex it states SKSE64_2_00_16 is intalled and enabled, it's even in the load order in my Vortex mods folder ( This PC > DOwnloads > Vortex > Skyrim SE > Mods) though it is double installed on accident beccause of all the trouble I've had with this file.

Even though Vortex enabled the other mods and they seem fine, SkyUI can't seem to find the SKSE file, I know it's last updated version (after accidentally installing the plain Skyrim SKSE yesterday, haha).

Also - Vortex can't tell you SKSE64_2_00_16 is installed and enabled. Vortex can't install SKSE. All it can do is install the Data portion (scripts).

Follow the directions from Silverlock and copy the exe and dlls to your game directory manually.

And, like Augusta said - make sure everything is for Skyrim SE if that is what you are running.

Also - Vortex can't tell you SKSE64_2_00_16 is installed and enabled. Vortex can't install SKSE. All it can do is install the Data portion (scripts).

Follow the directions from Silverlock and copy the exe and dlls to your game directory manually.

And, like Augusta said - make sure everything is for Skyrim SE if that is what you are running.

But Vortex can install SKSE64 or SKSE. I've installed SKSE with Vortex in my game and its been working fine for months now. Follow the tutorial in Tools Setup: Script Extenders in the Vortex knowledge base....

https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Tool_Setup:_Script_Extenders

But Vortex can install SKSE64 or SKSE. I've installed SKSE with Vortex in my game and its been working fine for months now. Follow the tutorial in Tools Setup: Script Extenders in the Vortex knowledge base....

Yes, it can install both, however, SKSE doesn't work for Skyrim Special Edition, and SKSE64 doesn't work with Skyrim LE

They're not interchangeable

Yes, it can install both, however, SKSE doesn't work for Skyrim Special Edition, and SKSE64 doesn't work with Skyrim LE

They're not interchangeable

I didn't say they were interchangeable. :) I was just pointing out that Vortex could install both versions of the script extender, since rmm200 had stated that it wasn't possible for Vortex to install SKSE64.

Let me say it again. Vortex can not install the SKSE or SKSE64 archive downloaded from Silverlock successfully. It can install the executables or it can install the scripts. Not both.

If you are modifying the archive to make it installable - that will just lead others here when they mess it up.

Let me say it again. Vortex can not install the SKSE or SKSE64 archive downloaded from Silverlock successfully. It can install the executables or it can install the scripts. Not both.

If you are modifying the archive to make it installable - that will just lead others here when they mess it up.

By default

If Silverlock just zipped up their Script Extenders one level up, then the script extender could be installed perfectly by Vortex and any other mod manager, but because they zip up the files in a directory within a directory the best any mod manager can do is dump the script extender directory into the game root folder.

However, there's a guide in the Vortex wiki that explains how to repackage the Script Extender Archive to be an installable mod in Vortex.

However, it's caused more problems than it tries to help, because people unfamiliar with the terminology used in the guide, end up making a complete mess of the custom archive and end up with the Script Extender installed in it's own folder in the root directory, then they come in here asking for help with SkyUI errors and Mods not working because their script extender isn't working.

All the guide needs to say is

1. Drag the folder out of the script extender archive

2. Right click on the folder and pick ADD TO ARCHIVE, type in a name for it and zip it.

(Instead the guide goes through some extra confusing and unnecessary steps.)

It's much easier, and much more fool-proof to manually install the Script Extender because it requires two clicks, and a drag

rmm200 you can install both the skse executables and scripts with Vortex using the manual steps given in the tutorial during the install. The only modifying being done is what the tutorial in the knowledge base says to do, works every time when steps are followed.

I am not trying to argumentative here, just trying to put out correct information. It may be best for those new to Vortex to use the old tried and true, but Vortex can install skse.