Installing SKSE64 for SkyUI on SSE

LotiaQuietus

As I said in my earlier post once you get the steps it really is easy and does not take much longer than the old methods, it's just new and different. That difference to me is well worth the few extra seconds it might take to install with Vortex since it means total control of the install and uninstall of skse.

After all what do we use a mod manager for if not as much control over the installation of our mods as we can get. Now don't get me wrong if this was a five minute process I'd be hanging with HadToRegister.

Modifying the SKSE archive is not something that is intuitively obvious, or something I would recommend.

Modifying the skse archive is a waste of time, since regardless of how you pack the archive the second Vortex extracts the data directory it is removed, meaning you can never install both exe + script without either change Vortex to correctly handle this, or you must manually move the files around yourself.

Now if you split skse into two separate archives on the other hand with one only containing scripts and the other the rest re-archiving can work.

While you can install scripts from original skse archive, if you tries the same with exe Vortex always screws up by putting exe + dll into a sub-directory. Now some will say skse is not correctly packaged, but this is nonsense since it is Vortex that isn't correctly extracting and installing the files, meaning it is Vortex that needs to be fixed.

At the moment the best way to install skse in Vortex is to extract skse directly to the mod staging folder, re-start Vortex, and after Vortex detects the new mod change to dinput.

Some of the advantages of installing at least the scripts with a mod manager are, conflicts with other mods are shown and you can easily make sure a mod using an outdated skse script is overwritten, updating skse makes sure all scrips are new. Also if you're looking for any non-managed files left over in data directory, by purging the installed scripts will be removed and you don't need to waste your time checking the scripts are from skse.

Since Vortex can also manage exe + dll + anything else going under root and not under data, it is very unfortunate Vortex makes this unnessesarily complicated. One way to improve things would be if it was possible to select dinput before installing the mod and in this case change Vortex to not delete data and not put exe + dll into a sub-directory on installation. Alternatively Vortex could auto-detect skse and correctly install + automatically choose dinput.

Modifying the SKSE archive is not something that is intuitively obvious, or something I would recommend.

Since Vortex can also manage exe + dll + anything else going under root and not under data, it is very unfortunate Vortex makes this unnessesarily complicated. One way to improve things would be if it was possible to select dinput before installing the mod and in this case change Vortex to not delete data and not put exe + dll into a sub-directory on installation. Alternatively Vortex could auto-detect skse and correctly install + automatically choose dinput.

I proposed exactly this solution a few months ago as a feature request. It was promptly shot down.

Maybe if a few more people propose it...

I proposed exactly this solution a few months ago as a feature request. It was promptly shot down.

Maybe if a few more people propose it...

rmm200, can I ask if they gave a reason for your proposal being shot Down? I certainly would like to see it happen if it's possible.

Modifying the skse archive is a waste of time, since regardless of how you pack the archive the second Vortex extracts the data directory it is removed, meaning you can never install both exe + script without either change Vortex to correctly handle this, or you must manually move the files around yourself.

Now if you split skse into two separate archives on the other hand with one only containing scripts and the other the rest re-archiving can work.

While you can install scripts from original skse archive, if you tries the same with exe Vortex always screws up by putting exe + dll into a sub-directory. Now some will say skse is not correctly packaged, but this is nonsense since it is Vortex that isn't correctly extracting and installing the files, meaning it is Vortex that needs to be fixed.

At the moment the best way to install skse in Vortex is to extract skse directly to the mod staging folder, re-start Vortex, and after Vortex detects the new mod change to dinput.

Some of the advantages of installing at least the scripts with a mod manager are, conflicts with other mods are shown and you can easily make sure a mod using an outdated skse script is overwritten, updating skse makes sure all scrips are new. Also if you're looking for any non-managed files left over in data directory, by purging the installed scripts will be removed and you don't need to waste your time checking the scripts are from skse.

RattleDagger, you've just given me a new method to install skse thanks. Vortex throws up a warning message when you restart but I see it as no consequence in this case.

@RattleDagger

This is absolutely ingenious! Your comments, suggestions, and recommendations about Vortex are some of the best in these forums. I hope you stick around for a long time.

Accolades aside, what, if anything, do you put into the Downloads folder?

This was Tannin's reply through Feature Request on May 24:

"The proposed solution isn't possible, the mod type only affects how a mod gets deployed, not how it gets installed in the first place and that's not how it's intended to work - A mod type can only be deduced or set during installation, having it set manually before installation would be a completely separate feature.

An alternative solution would be to have multiple install actions so you could right-click a download and choose between "Smart Install" (the default), "Pure Install" (unmodified, the mod gets extracted exactly as the author packaged it), "Manual install" (user gets an installer dialog where files can be arranged manually via drag&drop).
Maybe pure install isn't necessary, it would be the equivalent of "manual install" where you don't change anything.
This would probably fix a bunch of problems with weirdly packaged mods as well."

This was Tannin's reply through Feature Request on May 24:

"The proposed solution isn't possible, the mod type only affects how a mod gets deployed, not how it gets installed in the first place and that's not how it's intended to work - A mod type can only be deduced or set during installation, having it set manually before installation would be a completely separate feature.

An alternative solution would be to have multiple install actions so you could right-click a download and choose between "Smart Install" (the default), "Pure Install" (unmodified, the mod gets extracted exactly as the author packaged it), "Manual install" (user gets an installer dialog where files can be arranged manually via drag&drop).

Maybe pure install isn't necessary, it would be the equivalent of "manual install" where you don't change anything.

This would probably fix a bunch of problems with weirdly packaged mods as well."

Thank you for your reply rmm200,

Well Tannin's reply does seem to hold out a bit hope for some kind of fix in the future since he does say it might solve some other mod packaging problems also.

If tannin learns of RattleDaggers ingenious (as Augusta Calidia rightly put it) little trick maybe he could incorporate it so that Vortex would recognize it when done from the download folder since he mentions a possible right click download solution.

At any rate so ends my advocacy of the Vortex knowledge base method for the moment.

Accolades aside, what, if anything, do you put into the Downloads folder?

If manually extracts SKSE to mod-folder, I don't put anything in downloads.

It will work from the downloads folder if someone wants to keep a copy of the skse archive in downloads and extract from there. One thing to take note of is that Vortex does not see the skse mod and the skse archive as related even after a restart. If you click to remove the skse mod and check the delete archive box Vortex will not delete the archive. I personally don't see this as a problem but some might.