Followed Bevilex's tutorial for better graphics, but causes severe lag and drop in frames

Andytarz

Downloaded oblivion reloaded via nexus manually. I followed bevilex's tutorial for better graphics (the written one seen on the nexus). I just wanted to download the grass mods to try them out. Dowloaded wrye bash, obmm, obse, tes4edit.

I downloaded all the stability mods via wrye bash and installed in there, checked the esp in mods tab, ran boss, and rebuilt the bash patches.

i basically downloaded following all the steps under the stability tab.

I also followed the tutorials for the base textures and the Grasses, Trees and Landscape tabs and that's when the lag started.

The stutters occur even with the changes made with OSR. It gets down to 25 frames when i move my character or when Im in combat.

Any help would be appreciated. I have and i7 processor, Nvidia geforce gtx.

Depending on the textures, it can cause a lot of slowdown. If you go from 512 to 2 or 4k for example, the processing power needed from your computer grows exponentially. Try dialing back the draw distance for tress and grass.

You use Oblivion Reloaded, it's possible in the settings. Or you can edit the Oblivion.ini directly. But best to use the OR settings. I suggest going through the OR readme regarding what all the settings do. It is all explained fairly well and will help you optimize everything. Edited by ReverendFelix

So I went to the grass section of the oblivion reloaded html file and I went to the grass ini in the shaders folder and tried the recommended settings of the setting the MinDistance to 11000 and the max to 12000. Then went to the oblivion ini and set the grass end distance to 12000 and startfadedistance to 10000.

Those options didn't work. Prior to this change my settings in the oblivion ini in the grass tab were 3000 for the grass end distance, and 2000 for the grass startfadedistance.

So i decided to go as low as 1500 for the enddistance and 1000 for the startfadedistance. And in the oblivion reloaded grass ini i changed the Min to 5000 and the max to 7000.

After those changes there was less stuttering, but then viewing the landscape, there was no grass, so the lush and gaudy grass mod I downloaded wasn't even visible at all. I was as if I didn't mod it.

How are those people in the tutorials make it run smoothly when I followed bevilex's for example and I turns out even with all the stability mods I downloaded via his mod page does it not work?

I have a theory that when I may have the wrong install order in wrye bash, or it may have something to do with boss telling me that a lot of the dlc's with the goty edition of oblivion I installed needs cleaning with tes4edit? But I'm not sure because I did watch a tutorial on cleaning on YouTube and they said you could mess that up as well.

So I'm pretty confused.

My tried and true rule for installing mods ... add one single mod at a time and test thoroughly before moving on to add the next mod.

Yup it takes some extra time to get your load order set up, but you will know exactly how each individual mod has affect your game.

So when BOSS notified me of that I just need to clean the dlc's? Is that the issue? Is that what I'm missing?

Because I've tried the following: downloaded OSR, engine bug fixes, 4gb ram patch and ran it for oblivion and my oblivion launcher, downloaded blockhead menuque, pluggy, elys universal silent voice, unofficial oblivion patch and dlc ones, kuertee clean up and set kCUQuest.cleanActors to 0, and NVAC and copied nvac.dll into my OBSE folder.

I also fiddled with the object, item, actor and tree fades. That didn't work. Also lowered the interior and exterior shadows, and lowered the specular distance to no effect.

Turned v sync off and on, changed from windowed mode to fullscreen, and I lowered my resolution. No effect.

The thing is, I did download them one at time because I went through bevilex's tutorial.

Also I have BOSS to sort my load order, so how did I mess that up?

My point was the thorough testing done in between installing each mod.

That testing in between mods is what will tell you which mod is responsible for what you are experiencing in-game. The time spent testing will save you the time you are spending troubleshooting now, plus you will know exactly how each mod affects/changes the game.

For example, if you have the game running properly without any issues and you then install a mod that increases the texture resolution from 512 to 4k and after installing that one mod your game starts to stutter you (and we who try to help) will know exactly where to start troubleshooting.

If instead you add 15 or 20 mods to a working game and then it starts acting up all we or you can surmise is that it was caused by one of those 15 or 20 mods.

I have a theory that when I may have the wrong install order in wrye bash, or it may have something to do with boss telling me that a lot of the dlc's with the goty edition of oblivion I installed needs cleaning with tes4edit? But I'm not sure because I did watch a tutorial on cleaning on YouTube and they said you could mess that up as well.

Wrong installation order and unclean mods are most probably not the reason.

Wrong installation order usually just means that some textures you want from some mod have been overwritten by other textures you don't want from another mod and that isn't a serious issue. You can look up if such conflicts exists in Wrye Bash's Installers tab by selecting a mod and then clicking on the Conflicts tab to the right.

Cleaning mods isn't that important either. It's quite rare that an unclean mod will cause any issue. I still recommend to clean your mods though if you have the time to learn how to do it. I don't know about the other games but in Oblivion cleaning will rarely mess things up. In general you should always clean unless BOSS/LOOT or the mod author tells you not to.

But to fix your current issues I suggest you do what Striker879 said, install one mod at a time until you know which one it is that causes the issues. You don't have to start a new game for every mod you install. You can install one, play, install one more, continue to play and so on.

Edited by Grogrokl

Quoting Grogrokl;

"Wrong installation order and unclean mods are most probably not the reason.

Wrong installation order usually just means that some textures you want from some mod have been overwritten by other textures you don't want from another mod and that isn't a serious issue. You can look up if such conflicts exists in Wrye Bash's Installers tab by selecting a mod and then clicking on the Conflicts tab to the right.

Cleaning mods isn't that important either. It's quite rare that an unclean mod will cause any issue."

This is terrible advice/info...

Edited by ReverendFelix