Followed Bevilex's tutorial for better graphics, but causes severe lag and drop in frames

Andytarz

It can help... Unclean mods can inject all kinds of errors. Extra scripts running in the background, duplicated objects you wouldn't even know are there, and plenty of other bugs that can cause your computer to have to work overtime. Making sure your mods are clean WILL save you a lot of headaches, and yeah, probably improve fps.

Ok...so if I were to use this thorough testing, I would have to turn all mods off in wrye bash, then activate one, then play with one until I come across the one that causes it to stutter?

And would I just have to deactivate one then play, then turn previous mod off, activate another and play again? Or do i have to uninstall all of them and then install one, activate one then play with one?

If I test the mods one at a time, my interpretation of Striker's instruction would mean that I would have to potentially disable the stability changes and uninstall them too and try to run the game one mod at a time with the stability mods too.

Edited by Andytarz

My advice is primarily aimed at installation of mods.

The problem I see in trying to zero in on the cause by disabling one mod at a time and testing is how many steps are required at each test to do the job properly. If you just turn off the ESP a mod could very well still have assets loading via archive invalidation that are causing problems ... plus if you are using WB then you really should be rebuilding your bashed patch at each step before testing. Pretty time consuming.

When you are installing one mod at a time you need to run through the bashed patch rebuild after each install, so I suppose that time is spent the same using my method as well. If you read the Bevi mod comments (and install instructions if I'm not mistaken) you'll see that it's suggested there to install a small group of mods, sort the load order and build the bashed patch and then test. Perhaps a path forward for you would be to use a similar method in disabling for troubleshooting.

Do you mean install what I have already installed? I'm a bit confused on how I should test.

What I meant was I already have these mods installed. My question was should I uninstall one mod at a time and then reinstall one at a time?

I just don't want to screw up uninstallation as well. I just checked those mod comments on bevilex's page and there's over 400 pages worth of comments, so how am I supposed to know what page has comments regarding these stuttering issues and the instructions you were referring to?

By testing do you mean just run oblivion with one mod and simply unchecking all the esps except for one, then sort using BOSS and rebuild?

Edited by Andytarz

What I meant is the "install one mod and then test thoroughly" suggestion is intended for next time you install mods (for a new character for example).

What I mean by "test thoroughly" will vary from mod to mod.

If I install a mod that changes all of the trees to some high resolution I am going to go to an area with lots of trees and see how it affects my game. If I add a mod that changes some aspect of combat I'm going to need to find a bunch of enemies and see how that mod affects things. Each testing session will be determined by the type of mod I just added.

The place you find yourself in now is the one I avoid at all costs because there is no easy or simple way to find the cause of the problem.

The best way to find things in mod comments that are a large number of pages (like the Bevi mod comments) is to use the forum interface for those mod comments. After you open the Posts tab on the Bevi mod page click on the Forum Thread button at the top of the listed comments. Once the forum page loads use the Search box at the top right corner to search for keywords that describe your problem (such as stuttering or low fps).

I think it's the lush and gaudy damn greens esp as well as the Improved Trees and Flora 2 mods, Landscape Retexture 2k, Tree Bark HD Reduced as well as ITFBark2012, and harvest flora mods?

Any advice on where to trouble shoot with those?

I tested them and It does occur within any heavily forested area.

Once you have a list of likely candidates for the root cause of the problem you will need to completely uninstall them to test. With a list of possibles as short as yours you could either uninstall one at a time and test in between until you find the culprit (which also assumes that only one on your list is the root cause and also not the combination of two or more that is the problem).

I personally would uninstall all of those, test without them to confirm that the problem is gone and then add them back one at a time until the problem returns. You may need to go through the uninstall all and add them back one at a time but in a different order a number of times (or perhaps you could get lucky and reinstall just one and find it's the problem). Don't be afraid to keeps some notes to yourself of what you've tried.

I think a certain amount of perspective is called for here.

Oblivion was never designed to run above 60 FPS, at the time of release most people were lucky to get 30 and both Oblivion Stutter Remover and Oblivion Reloaded are aiming to keep your FPS at 30. By default OSR will cap the game at 30 and sacrifice any additional frames you might get for other things - like running another background script.

The three things most likely to cause slowdown are:

1. Lot high-resolution textures.

2. Bad, constantly running, scripts that eat CPU cycles.

3. Lots of objects on screen, especially ones with collision, and especially havok collision.

In your case I would say you're just using too many high resolution flora textures and ground textures and that's hogging all the available RAM and GDDR RAM.