How do I clean Dawnguard.esm with SSEEdit?

MajinnFranky

So, I just realised that a lot has changed in the latest version of SSEEdit. Definitely not sure if I like it...

Majinn, you're right: Those guides don't apply anymore. I was using an older version of SSEEdit until last weekend... The help function of the new SSEEdit is quite useful though. Basically it's like speedynl posted above. Just setup SSEEdit for autocleaning (this is explained step by step in the help function), load the DLC files one by one, exit to resave them.

On a side note: I stopped doing that manual cleaning you mentioned (Riften Ratway and so on...) a long time ago. I always only did the automatic cleaning. I really don't think manual cleaning is really necessary. In most cases, you could probably even get away with not cleaning anything at all. At least that's my experience - even with very large load orders..

I give up, I'm getting zero results every time I launch sseedit. I even used the quickautoclean.exe as well. Nothing is working for me, nothing is being edited, nothing is saving and I'm just sitting around closing and re-opening the program dozens of times and still getting nowhere. Why am I so inept at this? These guides are simple, yet I can't even follow them at all, or at least I follow them to the letter and I get nothing in return? Isn't there some formid that I can use prid on and disable? I know that there was an instance of the game crashing near the dwemer ruins outside dawnstar and the cause was the nearby dragon mound. Is there something similar to that, yet affecting every location that's a part of lost to the ages quest? Never mind not even finishing lost to the ages, but I can't even finish the college of winterhold quest because I can't enter Mzulft. All because it shares the same cell as the dwemer storehouse that holds the aetherium shard for lost to the ages. This is so frustrating I'm losing my mind on this. ;-;

Edited by MajinnFranky

autoclean save, look at the messages it give, it say someting like 0000, name, save(its almost at the end of message's)

autoclean do not show like normal sseedit do, (window that say save xx esp)

How do I even autoclean the save? That makes no sense @_@

Look, I've been trying over and over again with this program for the last week and its gotten me nowhere. Dawnguard isn't getting cleaned, the areas affected by Lost to the Ages quest still make my game ctd. Nothing is working at all and I've been trying all this time for naught. I don't know if these methods work for everyone, but its certainly not working for me. I have no clue as to why this happens, but this is getting quite ridiculous. What am I missing? What is the root cause of the game to crash? Is it the aetherium shards themselves? Is it the pedestal to put the shards in? What are the form id's? Can I just disable them and hope it works?

Edited by MajinnFranky

How do I even autoclean the save? That makes no sense @_@

when you run autoclean, and lets say you load any of the esm's, when cleaned it just override the esm, so the esm in your data folder is the cleanded esm

autoclean works a bit difrent then normal sseedit, the order to clean is just like the old way, only difrent is you only need to run it 1's on each esm/esp

as for not working for you, i don't have a answer to that, autoclean worked always fine for me in sse/fo4

So I ran autoclean again. It finished going through the file, again. I right click the file and I have a list of stuff to pick. A lot of this stuff is outdated and is rendered unusable. I don't know if the image will load properly, but if it does, then tell me what I need to do next. Otherwise I'm just going to give up playing skyrim.

https://imgur.com/4nmW0w4

Edited by MajinnFranky

Then I'm back at square one... I've ran autoclean on it, and every time I do, it doesn't or won't even save. When I even try to manually save it I get this message, "No unsaved changes." Then when I boot the game back up to try to head back to the areas affected, I still get ctd. Everything else runs fine, its just these areas that don't. I have 0 mods that affect those areas, the quest, or the items in the quest.

What does 0x0F49D87E reference to? Even if I can't manually clean anything, since I don't get that option, could that be the root cause?

When SSEEdit says "no unsaved changes", this probably means "this file has already been cleaned, nothing more to do".

TBH, I wouldn't worry too much about all that cleaning stuff. It is good practice and safer to do it, but in most cases it isn't really necessary. Yes, in some rare cases uncleaned files can make your game crash, but there are also hundreds of other reasons why you could CTD. Conflicts between installed mods, problems caused by leftover scripts in your savegame from mods uninstalled long ago, even errors in mods (mod authors are only human and make mistakes sometimes, so do mod users) and so on... So, that CTD you mentioned could be caused by almost anything.

The problem is: Troubleshooting crashes is a long and tedious process. The safest way is to be very careful when building up your load order: Add mods one by one (or in small batches) and test, test, test. Get everything that doesn't work as intended straight before installing any new mods. This way, you have a very limited list of possible "culprits" if something goes wrong.

You said you dind't use a mod manager or LOOT. IMHO, both is absolutely necessary if you want to install more than a few mods and keep your game stable. There might be leftovers from mods you uninstalled manually. There might be mistakes in your load order you don't even know about, because you never used LOOT.

If you really want to get into modding, do yourself a favour and get a good mod manager (IMHO, Vortex or MO are currently the best options) and use LOOT. BTW, with Vortex you don't need the LOOT standalone - it's already built in. Maybe it would be a good idea to start from scratch with a mod manager so that you can solve mod problems much easier.