SKSE64 launcher CTD when loading Main menu

O77odix

Forgive the length. I am not sure of the issue but I am trying to be thorough in my situation.

(my instinct feels that there is an issue with the main Skyrim SE game’s files recognizing the SKSE64 or something regarding Steam site not allowing or authorizing myskse64 version of the game to run for some reason.)

I am also having the same issue as described within the post entitled “SKSE64 absolutely REFUSES to load with Skyrim... “

I am very new to using mods (only a month) and successfully been running Skyrim SE through the skse64 launcher for the last month. Yesterday, I launched Skyrim SE through my Vortex mod manager. I got a pop-up window stating something like SKSE was not up to date or was current for my version of Skyrim SE. I immediately closed the game and relaunched with my SKSE64 launcher short cut from my desktop. The game opened and I played it without issues. But the pop-up warning box from my Vortex launch-mistake looked like it may have been from my Steam account and this made me wonder if maybe there had been a Creation club update that I was unaware of.

Today, restarted my computer and went to launch the game through my skse64 launcher and have had the same CTD issue as described in “SKSE64 absolutely REFUSES to load with Skyrim... “ post.

It crashes at the main menu right after the Bethesda credits end. So, there is no ability to even try to launch a new game or saved games. The game’s main menu itself will not launch. All the game tab icons show up without the dragon emblem for about one second and then CTD

Being New to modding I am limited in how to troubleshoot this issue. My version is skse64_2_00_16.

Is there any suggest fix to resolve this CTD? Was there an Update to the Creation club that I am not aware of? Any advice on how you resolved the issue or advice in general would be appreciated. Remember I am a newbie so I ask for your patience and apologize in advance if I have to ask overly simplified follow-up questions.

my instinct feels that there is an issue with the main game’s files recognizing the SKSE64 or something regarding Steam site not allowing the skse64 version of the game to run for some reason. My abilities to even check or investigate these theories are limited by my current knowledge and abilities.

I have not included my full mod list as I was running all mods without issues until today, but I will if any one feels it can further help. Again, the CTD is related to the launching of the game itself and not from a saved game file.

I will try to answer these following questions that I was advised from another post I asked about my problem on. Here listed were the questions I was asked to answer if they can help.

1. have you installed any new mods or otherwise changed your configuration?
  2. have you attempted to load an older save file?
  3. have you attempted creating a new game?

1. have you installed any new mods or otherwise changed your configuration?

The Game launched fine yesterday. but these mods were added yesterday to my list,

Kato’s Riverwood 2.0

MFG Fix

Immersive world encounters

but to cover all mods added within a 24 hour time ( These mods were added the day before) included..

Great forest of Whiterun hold

The great Cities 2.01

Rustic weathers

Book of uunp (unp meshes) addon

and a manual DL quest addon to FlowerGirls from LL.

I first disabled all these new Mods listed in Vortex and tried to use skse64 launcher with the same CTD result after Bethesda credits run and then I deleted all these mods (including archives) from Vortex and repeated launch with the same CTD resulting as well.

2. have you attempted to load an older save file?

When running game yesterday, with these new mods installed, all ran without issue, and I always used my save file # 2 (a modded but early save) at the beginning of my game to have a “mostly” clean save as I tried to build my mod list. This save has the skse64, Finis, and my unp body mesh and textures Mods, but I installed all other mods loading this save when adding new mods Keeping my #1 save completely clean except for SKSE64. I have not really played the story or quests over the last month as I been trying to build my mod list and just wonder around Riverwood and journey to white run to test the games stability. No issues or any mod Crashing the game until this issue happened today

1. have you attempted creating a new game?

I have not run multiple games or attempted a new game and I obviously cannot do so now as the CTD is happening at the launch of the main menu and not on a load of a save. Without the Main Menu there is not much I know to try out side of my Vortex mod manager. I can currently launch the game through Vortex but it is the non SKSE64 version and I get error warnings upon loading the saved game that SKSE is missing and Error message boxes regarding Sky UI, Finis and other SKSE required Mods.

Hope you can help. Thanks for taking the time to consider my problem. :confused:

Adding mods to an ongoing game is a recipe for disaster.

I may be wrong but from what you have said you have added mods to a game you are already playing. Unless you are an experienced in modding and know exactly what you are doing this is a big no-no.

If this is the case go back to a save before you added those mods or start a new game with all the mods you are going to play with installed and do not add mods to an ongoing game.

Uninstalling mods and then starting from a save that had those mods installed is useless, you must start from a save before you installed those mods.

I agree with wfandrews and his comment, as it is spot on.

As a rule - when you are going to add mods to an existing game - Back Up the existing saves to a different directory, just in case what you are going through happens.

Also, I noticed that you did not mention that you verified that your mods are compatible w/each others.

IE: I know a number of people that would load WICO MOD and then add mods, that if they took the time to read the WICO Description page, they should not have done this. I am not saying you have WICO, I'm just using this as an example of people not taking the time ....

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely follow it as I go forward.

Unfortunately, My problem is not about the game crashing when I try to load a Saved game, but rather the skse64_loader.exe no longer launches my skyrimse game without a CTD occurring at the main menu.

I cannot even test to see if my saved games work without the main menu.

I accidentally launched the game through my Vortex launch button from the upper left corner of the Vortex MM and got a pop up stating that my version of skse was out of date. I've checked and it is not. But since then I get the CTD when attempting to launch the main menu.

It seems that vortex no longer recognizes my skse data file I imported into the mod list (again, it worked for a month before the popup appeared), or Steam no longer recognizes my Update version, or there is something else I am not aware of.

I feel I am stuck until skse64 next update or I reinstall a vanilla version, or someone can give me another Idea to try. I've read that you can go to steam to apply a previous update to get skse to work, but I purchased the game one month ago so I don't expect I have previous updates to try.

Thanks for the advice anyway as I see I was playing with fire not backing up saves or starting a new game.

Okay - Try this and this will tell us if it's a MOD issue or not.

1. Does this happen if you try to start a brand new ( starting over ) game through SKSE 64???

... IF yes ... then's it's a MOD issue.

So, if the game does NOT even start with a new game, Yes a brand new game. DO NOT USE A PRIOR SAVED GAME.

IF the game does not load and CTD's ... then we have 1 of 2 things going on:

... > Turn OFF ALL MODS. DLC's are not mods. I do mean ALL OF THEM. Then start a clean new game. If the game loads and works. Then you have a mod conflict and / or out of date mod, for SKSE 64 and needs to be updated. This is what I " Officially " call the P.I.T.A. protocol.

You will have to either:

a. Go through your mods 1 by 1 and see when they were last updated, by going to the specific mod description page and/or see when the last time in your Mod Manager it was updated / changed.

... Sometimes this works and well, ya, sometimes it will not work.

b. Turn on your mods 1 at a time, load the CLEAN NEW GAME until you find the CTD MOD, make note of it and continue this process, as it could be more than 1 mod.

IF the game does NOT load period with SKSE 64, with all mods OFF. Then you have either a Skyrim Update that is needed and/or SKSE 64 version update.

I'll continue, once I see if you found / find the answer with what I posted.

Ok., followup to my "any new mods?" question

I see you added mfg fix. Do you also happen to have "Oppcaro mfg command for SSE" installed? I had quite a few problems when I had both installed, including a beau coup number of CTDs

It crashes at the main menu right after the Bethesda credits end. So, there is no ability to even try to launch a new game or saved games. The game’s main menu itself will not launch. All the game tab icons show up without the dragon emblem for about one second and then CTD

This makes the problem even more difficult, since you can't even attempt to load an old save or create a new game.

Drastic as it might sound/be, I'd recommend that you uninstall all the mods you added just prior to these problems. And do so in the reverse order in which they were installed. (in vortex, you can reorganize the list by date of installation)

After that, you'd probably be well served by using fallrim tools to clean the files.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5031

(make sure to follow the directions the author provides. At first it can be a little daunting but after a few times through it becomes less so as you become more familiar with what it's doing)

I'm no expert. I've been playing since last spring, so I'm still something of a "newb" in skyrim, but that's the way I'd handle it.

And although you note that you're new to skyrim, so theoretically all the mods you installed should already be up-to-date, I'd recommend reviewing the Lover's Lab conversions thread, which outlines the mods that have been updated for Skyrim 1.5.80/ SKSE64 2.0.16 and which have not, to ensure that all your added mod files are up to snuff.

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/94228-sse-conversion-tracking-aug-20-3790/

Finally, make sure all the mods you've installed are actually SE qualified in the first place. Installing a regular skyrim (oldrim, LE) mod can be a problem, since they can be a source of issues (I found that out early on in my own gameplay)

good luck!

:laugh: THANK YOU jjb54. Very much.

Problem is partially solved. I disabled every mod with the exception of these 3

skse64_2_00_16data.7z

Finis Data

Fores New Idles in Skyrim SE-FINIS Behavior SE 7_4_5

opened the game with my skse64_loader.exe and the Main menu opened without crashing. Happy day

I selected a new game and played through the opening until I reached the torturer with no issues.

I now know (or believe rather), it is a Mod conflict issue.

I will now follow your advice tonight and turn on mods one by one, but tonight as I am now officially late for work :pinch:

I don't know what P.I.T.A protocol means but I intend to follow it from this day forth.

Thank you again for the help. I really appreciate your taking the time. Being new to this, I was worried my issue was so basic that no one would respond due to my preschool level of navigating and installing Mods. I was even about a day away from attempting a reinstall the vanilla game from Steam. You've saved me a lot of headache.

Now I just have to discover the Mod or Mods causing my issue.

:laugh: THANK YOU jjb54. Very much.

Problem is partially solved. I disabled every mod with the exception of these 3

skse64_2_00_16data.7z

Finis Data

Fores New Idles in Skyrim SE-FINIS Behavior SE 7_4_5

opened the game with my skse64_loader.exe and the Main menu opened without crashing. Happy day

I selected a new game and played through the opening until I reached the torturer with no issues.

I now know (or believe rather), it is a Mod conflict issue.

I will now follow your advice tonight and turn on mods one by one, but tonight as I am now officially late for work :pinch:

I don't know what P.I.T.A protocol means but I intend to follow it from this day forth.

Thank you again for the help. I really appreciate your taking the time. Being new to this, I was worried my issue was so basic that no one would respond due to my preschool level of navigating and installing Mods. I was even about a day away from attempting a reinstall the vanilla game from Steam. You've saved me a lot of headache.

Now I just have to discover the Mod or Mods causing my issue.

P.I.T.A. = Pain In The A ..... In that it you just have to sit and plod through it. ;)

I'm glad that I was able to help you find your answer. :)

Thank you as well anjenthedog. I worried my issue was so easy to solve that no one would respond and I was going to have to figure it out the hard way.

You are right. I have uploaded a few Oldrim mods in my first two days of Modding by mistake, but disabled and deleted them soon after. I do get a caution sign for two current Mods in the plugin list that stated they are incapaptible, but they both came from the most endorsed SE pages

one was Quality world Map and the other was Book of UUnp

I will take you advice...

"Drastic as it might sound/be, I'd recommend that you uninstall all the mods you added just prior to these problems. And do so in the reverse order in which they were installed. (in vortex, you can reorganize the list by date of installation)"

I have already uninstalled the Mods as you see from my response to jjb54, but I will install them one by one by order of date and check out the fallrim tools although I will likely restart with a new game and avoid my old saves until I figure out the Problem Mods. I suspect MFX was part of it as that was the last mod I installed before my issues began but uninstalling it did not solve the issue so I am unsure.

I did not have 'oppcaro mfg command for SSE' But I do have a few skse related utilities like Papyrus, body slide. etc and many mods that depend on skse and I worry that too many that depend on each other is probably risky.

I will also look at LL conversion thread. I only downloaded three from LL to add content to FG, (one being sos light), but they are the only manual DL I have done beside skse and being my first I trusted the power of vortex to make unzip and make them work.

Now I am very late for work. Thank you for the help and advice. I thought I was being cautious adding only a Mod or two per play through and I have tried to read each Mod page including posts to troubleshoot potential issues, but I may have to slow down for now. My first major problem has made me realize I have been rather cavalier.

Thanks for the help.