SKSE won't launch Skyrim LE gameplay though Vortex Dashboard sees all tools

Gorgopis
Go to solution Solved by Gorgopis,

@tekmage,

I’m going to venture into cleaning edits in my dlc’s and mods, next, if all works properly. I also have an NPC to finish. I’m hoping to copy and paste an AI package in CK.

I haven’t launched SR LE offline yet, but will do so next free day. Thanks for your patient guidance on this thread, and I will mark it solved.

Gamifying education is really big right now, if you can see yourself coaching game design and game theory at a Uni. You seem to have the patience. Uni teachers seem to have lots of spare time when not teaching 12 hours a week. It’s such a new field, experience may suffice if you don’t have an advanced degree? Or earning an advanced degree might be easy for you, if that direction appeals. Lots of tech resources at Uni, too. Anyway, Over and out. G.

@Gorgopis,

Cleaning the DLCs is relatively safe and Xedit has the autoclean tool for that. Be sure to peruse the changelogs/descriptions for possible issues when cleaning a mod. Some mods built through the CK use workarounds to a problem which may break if cleaned. Enjoy modding and I hope you have a trouble-free experience now in Skyrim.

Having a lot of experience and patience means very little right now and being self-taught doesn't get you very far nowadays. Get a bachelor's degree without incurring too much debt by working some jobs while you still have the strength and youth to do so.

It was a genuine pleasure having a discussion with you. I look forward to what you come up with.

Take care.

@tekmage

I launched SR LE through my renamed SKSE desktop shortcut, with all intended (uncleaned) mods installed.

1). All mods worked except, surprisingly, SKYUI 5.1. I checked a lot of threads. My SR .ini file looks correct. I see the SKyUI files in their proper folders. I don’t know if load order really should matter, if automated by Vortex?

Shortly I will try disabling and reenabling or even reinstalling SKyUI.

To catch up with the community, I may have to purchase SR SE, and think about porting mods I build over to those users. I like the bugginess of LE.

@Gorgopis Yes, load order matters for SkyUI, but only if you are also using other UI mods with it. The easiest way to ensure SKYUI works properly is to set a rule to have it load lower then the other UI mods you might be using.

It's not a difficult thing to do. Just refer to the built in tutorial in Vortex on setting up rules.

Thanks, @Tekmage, and Vortex Black Belts,

Here I am again with some Strange Vortex behavior. (Strange, because I have little mastery of Vortex, yet.). I’ve searched for a clear address to solve, but no luck.

When I clean reinstalled Skyrim LE, I had also uninstalled all mods from Vortex, but I left the dlc as mentioned in an earlier post. At that time the dlc appeared in my mod list, but locked. They had no other descriptor.

After the reinstall, the dlc was now unlocked, and their descriptors on the dashboard read, “unofficial.” Update esm also appears now unlocked in my mods panel.

1). I thought I could solve by reloading the dlc from STEAM, which occurred, and the dlc files are in my data folder. The descriptor “unofficial” was dropped on the Vortex mods panel, but the dlc are not locked, as say update.esm was, though not any more.

2) Furthermore, the dlc esm appear in my plugins panel marked as “unofficial” though in the mods panel they are unlocked but no longer marked as “unofficial.” The plugin panel does not permit an uninstall.

3). In the mods panel, I could perhaps try refresh content or reinstall on the esm’s that are supposed to be official and locked? (I will so try after I post this.). Refresh just now did nothing.

4). Point being, the official dlc are not loading for play via any launch method. I will continue working to smooth this out, but post anyway. I did get SKyUI to work, but only by disabling all mods, except for the UI in a vanilla game with no dlc content. Though I disabled all mods, some of the climate and body and skin and water mods worked anyway, as I launched from the SKSE loader.

The DLC shouldn't even be showing up in the Mods Panel

Only the ESMs should show up in the plugin panel.

I use SKyrim SE, and it doesn't look like my DLC are enabled, but I know they work in the game

SkyUI is supposed to work with all other mods, did you install SkyUI for SE or LE?

This is the one you installed yes? https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3863

Vortex-SSE-DLC.jpg

For your dashboard tools all pointing to TESVedit

You need to edit the paths to the tools

Click on the three vertical dots, on each tool, and navigate to the folder where the tool's EXE is located, select it, then click APPLY.
Make sure that the START IN path changes when you select the TARGET path.
Example Shown: Bodyslide for Skyrim SE

Vortex-Tool-Target-Start-In.jpg

Do the same with SKSE, also, set the SKSE tool to PRIMARY (your path will be different, because it's SKSE instead of SKSE64)

Vortex-SKSE-Tool.jpg

• Solution

@htr

Thank you. I ran into a very old issue here that was a new one for me. I solved this by (after research), logging onto STEAM, and verifying the integrity of my game cache. STEAM found two unrepaired files, repaired one, and did nothing for the second.

Nonetheless, long story short, I next ran Skyrim LE in STEAM, returned to Vortex, enabled all mods, trusted Vortex to sort the load order, including SKyUI, adjourned to pc desktop, disconnected from online, launched successfully from the SKSE loader, and found all dlc working, and all mods working, including, yay!, SKyUI. My old saves worked, including a few I ported in from The PS, heaven forbid.

(Off topic, I tried to load an old saved ccbe xml preset into bodyslide, which has not appeared in game yet, just the default one. Not sure why.)

Next? Time to clean mods. Thanks, as always, for being there. (Was my post a short version?)

@Gorgopis It is probably a good idea at this point to backup your Skyrim folder somewhere now that you have everything practically working correctly. Just name it Skyrimbackup or whatever you prefer to name it and zip it up.

@tekmage,

Thank you kindly for the reminder. I took what you said urgently, and implemented the advice, and I have a nice zipped file safe ‘n sound, done immediately after reinstalling the game.

I hope I’m not about to break forum protocols, but I am going to ramble on to a different but linked topic. Please ignore if you wish.

I successfully cleaned the dlc’s and Vortex signaled mods. I finally have high frame rates and crystal graphics and gameplay.

However, I’ve experienced a strange artifact with one of the most popular SR LE mods, which I shall leave unnamed. It has meshes that somehow overwrite meshes on a mod that loads later. I cannot figure out the logic of how that’s possible. I now have CK, which won’t load the mod in question without crashing. (I was going to search actors, armors, etc. for possible editing.). I have checked the folder trees on my partition, and I have clearly identified the folder which contains the conflicting nif’s, after opening tens of them with nifskope. This all may be a CK question, vs. a Nexus forum issue.

I was even debating remedying with editing the offending meshes, but I’m not ready for that rabbit hole, even though I opened the game in console and found meshes in wireframe view that did not match the expected folder and file names and classifications, or even match the meshes I examined in nifskope. I will continue to proceed with tutorials and experimenting. And RL needs time too.