Re-install Problem with Conflict Rules

Poorman65

I had to re-install Windows. I still had all of my Mods, Downloads and the Vortex installation on another drive. I managed to get Vortex re-installed, but after pointing it at all of my Mods and Downloads, all of my Conflict Rules are gone.

Unfortunately I have 200 mods and spent a couple of hours walking mod by mod through a video to resolve them all last week. Are they stored somewhere that I can retrieve them? Do I have to go through that whole mess again?

Thanks for the info! Fortunately the Windows install backed up everything, so I was able to go and get the AppData. After a little finessing, I have it back to where it should be.

It required me to do a Purge which was confusing. It sounded like it was going to delete a bunch of the mods or something dramatic. Now I understand that it just wanted to refresh all of the Mods in the games mods folder with the ones currently configured in Vortex.

I think Purge is a bad wording for what it is actually trying to do. Probably "Refresh" or "Refresh Mods in Game Folder" or something would be better. Purge sounds like a plain Delete, whereas it is really just updating the Game Mods Folder with the current configuration.

Thanks for the help! I was dreading having to go through the Conflicts again.

@Poorman65

Backups are your friend! I'm glad that you were able to recover the AppData folder.

Here follows a short treatise De purgatione et renovatione.

I sympathize with your concerns about the word "purge," because it's a scary term. (That's why an explanatory pop-up box appears when you click the Purge button.) However, " refresh" does not describe what purge in fact does. Purge removes links. Purge does not restore links, nor does it update the game data folder. Restoring links and/or creating new links is what deploy does.

However, I do think your suggested term "refresh" does have a place here, if we think of refreshing as a two step process. Step one: purge. Step two: deploy.