• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

Lingwei

Lingwei

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

You obviously dislike Bethesda and I'm probably wasting my breath so just hang around long enough see if your's or my predictions are true or not.

Jaded fans are always the most bitter.

quetzilla

quetzilla

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts
Just a comment on the whole mods for consoles bit -- the restriction on that generally has nothing to do with game developers and everything to do with the console maker. This is also why PS3 doesn't get DLC - because BGS couldn't workout a deal with Sony. User-made mods are a bigger problem than regular DLC because the content can potentially be 'dangerous', and without a method to regulate what gets put up for users to download, MS/Sony just won't take that risk. It's not like a PC where users can be reasonably expected to be able to know how to uninstall things.

Galahaut

Galahaut

Old hand

• Premium Member
  • 718 posts
Hmm, I just noticed that the Fallout 3 EULA includes this:

THE SOFTWARE UTILITIES.

The Software makes available, as a separate downloadable installer, a level editor or other similar type tools, assets and other materials (the "Software Utilities") that permit you to construct or customize new game levels and other related game materials for personal use in connection with the Software ("Customized Game Materials"). In the event you access such Software Utilities, the use of the Software Utilities is subject to the following additional terms, conditions and restrictions:

Zumbs

Zumbs

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

People are saying on BGSF how stable FO3 is and thats because Bethesda tested the hell out this game, over 6 months.

Strange ... I'm seeing a lot of people having trouble even installing the game due to Bethesdas usage of SecuROM (aka. suck your Rom) , not to mention actually playing the game they *paid* good money to play. Wonder how us Europeans are going to fare?

You obviously dislike Bethesda and I'm probably wasting my breath so just hang around long enough see if your's or my predictions are true or not.

Yes, that is why he spent countless hours making the Choice and Consequence mod line. He obviously hates Bethesda, Oblivion, Morrowind and everyone else. You demasked our conspiracy. You're just to clever for us.
/end sarcasm

worm82075

worm82075

Once Proud Proliferater Of The BGMC

• Premium Member
  • 885 posts

Consoles make up 90% of the sales

Where did you get that number. Just guessing maybe? I'll get the real numbers if they can be found but they're not generally advertised. If you have a link please share.

Hmm, I just noticed that the Fallout 3 EULA includes this:

THE SOFTWARE UTILITIES.

The Software makes available, as a separate downloadable installer, a level editor or other similar type tools, assets and other materials (the "Software Utilities") that permit you to construct or customize new game levels and other related game materials for personal use in connection with the Software ("Customized Game Materials"). In the event you access such Software Utilities, the use of the Software Utilities is subject to the following additional terms, conditions and restrictions:

Interesting. Why put that in the EULA if you have no plans to release the software?

Strange ... I'm seeing a lot of people having trouble even installing the game due to Bethesdas usage of SecuROM (aka. suck your Rom) , not to mention actually playing the game they *paid* good money to play.

What does the game's stability have to do with Securom? Nice try though. I haven't had any problems, of course I know exactly what i'm doing with my computer and lots of people don't have a clue. I hadn't seen anything on BGSF yesterday but i'll go past the third page today and maybe I'll see something.

Yes, that is why he spent countless hours making the Choice and Consequence mod line. He obviously hates Bethesda, Oblivion, Morrowind and everyone else. You demasked our conspiracy. You're just to clever for us.
/end sarcasm

Smart ass, I said dislike not hate. I dislike my boss but I still go to work everyday. Chances are pretty good he did it because it was fun. Comments like that are what made me leave BGSF back in the Morrowind days. I scoff in your general direction, but only half heartedly because I used to be the same way. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you haven't quite grown up yet, you know, chalk it up to boys will be boys. Have a good one.

Kendo 2

Kendo 2

Leper with the most fingers

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts
I bought Oblivion on a lark after I saw an add in PC Gamer. I wasn't too terribly disappointed since I don't know squat about Morrowind or the previous incarnations and couldn't care less about them. I never played them and don't intend to.
The ONLY reason I would purchase FO3 would be for the modding aspects. I'm burnt to the ground with Oblivion and ready for a change. I trust that BethSoft can produce a quality game once they hammer out the intitial quirks, but if there is no legit way for me to crawl inside the game engine and pick it apart then why would I fork over the cash to purchase the thing?
NO ONE plays a vanilla Oblivion game and EVERYONE uses player-made content (blanket statement not based on any sort of truth). That is what makes Oblivion what it is.
None of us can really know for sure what the intentions of BethSoft are. Are they a bunch of pot-head gamers making things for people to enjoy or are they tech-savy plebes under the thumb of some larger sinister Illuminati-style mega corp bent on milking frustrated gamers out of millions of dollars? The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
Consolers are a limited market. I know a few and they bought Oblivion, hammered it and moved on to Grand Theft Auto XXVII (or whatever version was out at the time). They won't return to it. PC gamers are a breed unto themselves and WILL purchase DLCs and official updates IF they like the game. If the money men at Bethsoft realized that they might have a change of heart and maybe 'allow' a CS-type utility to be released. You know the techs and programmers that made FO3 have one.
I forget where I read the interview, but one of the head honchos at BethSof stated that they were sorely disappointed at the console sales for Oblivion and the PC users were their main customers.

And I don't care what any of you think about this...Worm just ROCKS.

myounage

myounage

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
It's because Microsoft will not allow any free, user-created content for the 360. Epic Games allwoed mdos for UT3 on PS3, but Microsoft refused to let them do it on Xbox.

LokiHades

LokiHades

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 432 posts
As myoungage said, Microsoft is one of the problems. If you ask me, its ridiculous. They're just asking for more money. But in the end, even without an SDK, people will figure something out. Bethesda's on its last straws for me (it did a lot of great things, but its made a lot of mistakes along the line), and if no SDK is released, I'm going to be pissed.

Optimaximal

Optimaximal

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Everyone's glossing over the censor issue that gave Bethesda a massive headache with Oblivion. The powers that be attacked the game with the same viritol as GTA & The Sims, assigning an AO-rating to the game on the assumption that because someone, somewhere had made nude skins, we all played with them and showed our kids what ladies bits looked like pre-wedlock.
The game is already skirting the censors due to its violence and they can't afford too munt the sales by having Walmart & co refuse to sell it because it carries an adult-only rating.

I believe once it's sold a bundle, Bethesda will release a kit. After all, what have they too lose 2-3 months down the line?

It's not ideal for those of us who want to remove the glaring consolitis with ease, but this is like Far Cry 2's SecuROM implementation - the best of both worlds when everything is considered.

krytonic

krytonic

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
@LokiHades

You will be pissed for them not releasing a SDK? Since when did they HAVE to release one for a game??? You have indeed, taken it for granted.

I think you would be more pissed if they decided to release the SDK on launch, therefore pushing the launch date back in order to make the SDK.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 0.875 seconds