• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

TheOuroborus

TheOuroborus

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Please take this post down por favor. :-)

LordNapalm

LordNapalm

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
To be fair, I don't think a lot of casual gamers are finished with the content that came with Fallout 3 yet.
There are also a lot of high end console owners trying to get their money's worth from their new 50 inch flat panel TVs.

Give it a little time.
Hopefully a new version of NifSkope will come out and I'll make you lot's of nice mods. We're pretty limited with the current tools, but things will get better.

Bethesda is probably smart to stagger the release of good tools with their own expansions. It would be pretty disapointing to the developers if people built better versions of their own stuff before it was even released.
I know when I saw the first screen shots of Operation Ancorage, my first thought was "I should make those items".

Lucky for them we have no modeling tools yet :P

Nighthawk0110

Nighthawk0110

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 132 posts
Meh, i got morrowind on my console first.. it was fun, for awhile..... then I found out about all the mods for it on pc.. only reason Bethesda got my sale was because of the mods.

Then again, I seem to be one of the gifted few that can read and correctly install a mod :D This might be due to the fact that when I was 5 I was playing quake with it modded.. Which in my case I find extremely amusing now.

Currently I don't have the money or will to get fallout 3... once it gets a little more seasoned in the modding atmosphere I will get it however..

Besides, I got 80+ oblivion/si mods running right now (insanely fun) so if I got fallout I would have to actually USE my other 320 gig hard-drive OH NOES :D

If Bethesda stops making their games mod-friendly then I will have to go start buying left 4 dead and halo 3 and Gears of War and COD4 Which is sad, because none of those are RPGs..

EDIT: I saw someone saying that one reason for the delay might be because fallout 3 has children in it, I think this person might be on to something. I was not aware of the fact that bethesda has finally added children into the games.. This is one of my greatest modding fears.. just look at all the potential things that could be spawned out of it...

Bethesda better watch their back (as they seem to be, which is good for them) because once some idiot takes the child mesh and makes it nude or makes it where you can murder each and every child in the goriest way possible.. guess whats on the news the next day? You got it.

Luckily no news station has seemed to have noticed the "killable children mod" on this site. (I would like to strangle the maker of this mod FYI)

Sadly, I'm half laughing at myself about how ridiculous it sounds that a new station might see that mod, but after mass effect, I wouldn't doubt it.

Edited by Nighthawk0110, 18 December 2008 - 09:14 AM.

TheOuroborus

TheOuroborus

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
My brotha! The G.E.C.K. is here! This post makes your site look out of date. Move on please.

Voivre

Voivre

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
I would like to inquire about several abbreviations, Firstly, What is SDK? Secondly, What is CS?

ZippyDSMlee

ZippyDSMlee

Incoherence is my friend. =^^=

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

I would like to inquire about several abbreviations, Firstly, What is SDK? Secondly, What is CS?

An SDK is software developers kit, most come with complete code so modders can fully remake the game tho more and more the SDK is limited and more core elements of the engine are locked in Unreal torments(whatever) 3 case the better skilled modders had to make work around or code from scratch so people could have heat seeking weapons and such because they they made so much locked..... and then they go and amke the engine by itself free to use...... I really hate epic these days.... least from a gamers perspective their games such...last ebst game was unreal tournament 99...

Anyway CS refers to if I assume correctly the elders scrolls construction set, morrowind and oblivion had them, much better than your avrage hex editor(biowares tool set SDKs) but still cumbersome.

Anubis Zombie

Anubis Zombie

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
For my 2 cents I've put hundreds of hours each on MW, OB, FO1,2,+3. Gotta say I felt MW was the best developed of Bethesda's games. For all the years I played FO2 wishing it was on the MW engine, well I'm still wishing FO2 was on this engine. IMHO FO3's story line is weak in comparison. One thin that seemed like a personal jab at the original dev's to me. A big part of 1+2 was the pop culture references. They made you laugh inside if you got the joke. Well I only found two in FO3, forget what they were, both dialog options, and both get negative reactions out of the NPC's if you chose them. Well having found so much joy out of these in the original and feeling they were such a large part of bringing levity too the game. They humanised it. It made you feel like maybe it wasn't so insane what you were doing. Going around with all the killing and the looting and all. It made you feel like no matter how crazy the world had gotten, there were still crazier things out there. Like the crashed shuttle craft, the whale that fell from the sky, King Author and his knights. It made you feel not so psycotic with all the killing and death.

Instead of embracing this major yet subtle aspect of the game the Bethesda spat on it and slapped the original devs in the face with it. Fallout 3 has the feel of a game developed by very technically astute ppl with poor ppl skills and little imagination. The original devs were the oposite, judging based on the skill of their story telling and the nature of their final product. The current devs see that and hate them for it, instead of oh IDK.... maybe HIRING them *ban me*.... damn geeks.

Las Vegas is gonna blow away this FO3.

This one small tell gives more insight into them than any other. They don't believe the game. They don't feel the game. The Black Ilse team beleived the game, got immersed in the game, and understood that if you live in it, if you believe it, you NEED connections too our RW that are utterly obsurd and hilarious in the context of the game.

As much as I wanted this game on 3d engine for 10 years, and as greatfull as I am that Bethesda did it it doesn't change the fact that......

the Bethesda devs are not pen and paper RPG'ers like the original devs, maybe its a generation gap thing, they are not ppl who believe in the game, who learned how too program to make the game.... they are just a bunch of 9-5 techies pounding away on the keys too keep the lights one. Maybe they do some RPG gaming, though not nearly as much as the ppl involved in the originals, as weak as the FPS aspect is I doubt they do much of that either.

I don't mean to be harsh, just honest.......

There were deffinantly ppl involved in the original who Bethesda would do good to hire if they like money. With a better story they'd sell more game and wit these ppl they'd have better story.

Luckily when they see the success of Las Vegas compared to FO3 they will come to terms and maybe not be so affraid to shell out royalty rights to make the pop references. Removing this critical aspect of the game was a mistake made by ppl uninvolved with actual development or gamers, ppl who only see the bottom line, who can't understand the effect removing it has had on their bottomline.

Sometimes the patron needs to listen to the artist....... like any1 will ever read this.

(P.S. If this game wasn't moddable I wouldn't have bought it, I also wait at least a year to buy on account of rushed development)

BloodStainedHands

BloodStainedHands

Regular

• Premium Member
  • 68 posts
Fallout 2 went really overboard with the pop references - even the devs themselves have admitted this and the general consensus among the original Fallout series fans seems to be that the game could've done without them. And "maybe not be so affraid to shell out royalty rights to make the pop references"? You honestly think Black Isle (or game devs in general) pay a dime for making references to movies/books etc. in their games?

ZippyDSMlee

ZippyDSMlee

Incoherence is my friend. =^^=

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

For my 2 cents I've put hundreds of hours each on MW, OB, FO1,2,+3. Gotta say I felt MW was the best developed of Bethesda's games. For all the years I played FO2 wishing it was on the MW engine, well I'm still wishing FO2 was on this engine. IMHO FO3's story line is weak in comparison. One thin that seemed like a personal jab at the original dev's to me. A big part of 1+2 was the pop culture references. They made you laugh inside if you got the joke. Well I only found two in FO3, forget what they were, both dialog options, and both get negative reactions out of the NPC's if you chose them. Well having found so much joy out of these in the original and feeling they were such a large part of bringing levity too the game. They humanised it. It made you feel like maybe it wasn't so insane what you were doing. Going around with all the killing and the looting and all. It made you feel like no matter how crazy the world had gotten, there were still crazier things out there. Like the crashed shuttle craft, the whale that fell from the sky, King Author and his knights. It made you feel not so psycotic with all the killing and death.

Instead of embracing this major yet subtle aspect of the game the Bethesda spat on it and slapped the original devs in the face with it. Fallout 3 has the feel of a game developed by very technically astute ppl with poor ppl skills and little imagination. The original devs were the oposite, judging based on the skill of their story telling and the nature of their final product. The current devs see that and hate them for it, instead of oh IDK.... maybe HIRING them *ban me*.... damn geeks.

Las Vegas is gonna blow away this FO3.

This one small tell gives more insight into them than any other. They don't believe the game. They don't feel the game. The Black Ilse team beleived the game, got immersed in the game, and understood that if you live in it, if you believe it, you NEED connections too our RW that are utterly obsurd and hilarious in the context of the game.

As much as I wanted this game on 3d engine for 10 years, and as greatfull as I am that Bethesda did it it doesn't change the fact that......

the Bethesda devs are not pen and paper RPG'ers like the original devs, maybe its a generation gap thing, they are not ppl who believe in the game, who learned how too program to make the game.... they are just a bunch of 9-5 techies pounding away on the keys too keep the lights one. Maybe they do some RPG gaming, though not nearly as much as the ppl involved in the originals, as weak as the FPS aspect is I doubt they do much of that either.

I don't mean to be harsh, just honest.......

There were deffinantly ppl involved in the original who Bethesda would do good to hire if they like money. With a better story they'd sell more game and wit these ppl they'd have better story.

Luckily when they see the success of Las Vegas compared to FO3 they will come to terms and maybe not be so affraid to shell out royalty rights to make the pop references. Removing this critical aspect of the game was a mistake made by ppl uninvolved with actual development or gamers, ppl who only see the bottom line, who can't understand the effect removing it has had on their bottomline.

Sometimes the patron needs to listen to the artist....... like any1 will ever read this.

(P.S. If this game wasn't moddable I wouldn't have bought it, I also wait at least a year to buy on account of rushed development)

I blame modern design emphasis more than anything else, the story is there to get you to the next point, from A to B to C to D anything more pushing it.
The same can be said for game play mechanics doing mroe with it is not the point of making it making it do and making it do in as little time as possible seems to be everything to modern design. . I been playing Dragon age and while tis a nice game and more polished than FO3 but its not very deep game mechanic wise Dungeon siege and KOTOR have better group combat and skill/talent setups now DA dose have a nicely polished story but by the end of the day that's all it really has....

David711

David711

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Im a pen and paper Roleplayer, and I felt that the storytelling was good. One or two many deux ex machinas, but still.

It's worth noting I never played 1&2. However, I noticed plenty of references, they were just well hidden.

"Jack" (The Ripper)

The plane at Adams Airforce base.

M.A.R.Go.T

The Wright brothers plane.

Harold

* Tenpenny brings to mind Howard Hughes.
o Both men are wealthy recluses.
o Tenpenny's suite is littered with milk bottles; Hughes also amassed milk bottles in his rooms.
o There is a row of empty Nuka-Cola bottles next to Tenpenny's door; Hughes urinated in his emptied milk bottles and lined them up near the door.
* Tenpenny's "Wasteland Safari" is reminiscent of Amon Goeth, the concentration camp leader in the film Schindler's List. Goeth spends parts of his day sitting on the balcony of his large house looking out over his work camp and occasionally shooting workers.

The deathclaw gauntlet bears an unusual resemblence to the claw glove used by freddy krueger

Just my two cents.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.046 seconds