Need help making custom armor

jusk1ndahappy

Alright. So here it is: Iâm very new to modding, as in I downloaded the bare minimum stuff just today. All I really wanted to do was to retexture a suit, but itâs become a lot harder than Iâd imagined. If somebody wants to help out.

I wanted to make an outfit for my a capella group at my college. If you google TIGEROAR, there will be a bunch of guys wearing open orange blazers, white button downs, khaki pants, brown belts, and brown shoes.

I figured I could retexture the âShabby Gambler Suitâ because itâs the closest thing that I could find in game, but as Iâve said, I am very new to this, and itâs turned out to be more than I can handle.

If somebody could help me out, Iâd be very thankful.

First ,you are going to need something to extract files from BSA files. FOMM comes with a couple of BSA tools, or you can download something like Bethesda Archive Extractor https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/974/ which works for all games up through Skyrim. You can look up the shabby gambler's nif in the GECK, then extract that nif from the meshes bsa.

Next, you are going to need Nifskope. You will need to look in NifSkope to see what textures the shabby gambler suit uses, and then extract those from the textures bsa.

Now you need an image editor that can handle dds files. Your choices are basically Photoshop, GIMP, and Paint.Net (not the Paint that comes with Windows). Photoshop costs money. GIMP and Paint.net are both free. GIMP is more powerful, but is less intuitive. For a beginner, Paint.Net has less of a learning curve. Paint.Net also has dds support built in without needing any additional downloads. GIMP is going to require a dds plugin.

Now, just modify your gambler outfit texture to be whatever you want it to be. Save that new texture with a new file name.

Now modify the gambler outfit nif to use the new texture. There will probably be more than one mesh object inside the nif, and you will need to update the texture for each mesh. Save your new nif, again using a new file name.

Now go into the GECK and copy the gambler outfit to a new ID, and change the new outfit's nif to point to your new nif. Place your outfit somewhere in the game where your player character can get to it, don't forget to make your mod active, and you're done.

If you search for clothing and armor retextures I'm sure you can find some tutorials that will go step by step through the process. It's not that difficult though.