Question Regarding Current Weapon and Armor Mods

JCPhoenix83

Is there any possible way to add the many different weapon and armor mods out there to a merchant/vendor?

There are so many great ones out there, but having them respawn into inventory each time you log out (meaning you can't even just store them in storage) becomes quite a nuisance.

I know these mods are the great works of fellow gamers, and I'm not asking for their work to be edited or modified, just added to a vendor somehow.

There are at least two ways to approach that.

You can use a script them to add items to a merchant inventory, with the 'Adding an Item to an existing Vendor or Container' PRCSCR script on the toolset wiki. That method is the best practice and most compatible with other mods that also edit merchants. (In my experience, it can be finicky about working in Denerim, so I usually tried to add items to other merchants... I'm a crap modder in general, though, and especially terrible at scripting things. :-/)

You can pull apart my mods 'The Unobtainables', the merchant add-on for 'The Mystery of the Missing Kaddis', and 'A Miniature Golem Doll' for working examples of the PRCSCR script.

Or, you can add items by directly editing the merchant's UTM (inventory) file. That has the advantage of not requiring the toolset, as edits can be made with a string editor. (I can't recall offhand whether the utility for UTM edits is pyGFF or TlkEdit2, but it's one or the other...) Since directly editing merchants is frowned upon for released mods, I only used that method situationally, as when adding items to the inventory of Awakenings merchants.... examples are my mods 'Better Henley's Apothecary' or 'Unlimited Ammo 4 Sale'.

You can keep items from respawning with every load - that was a common issue with a lot of early mods, before modders figured out the best way to spawn items - by editing the CIF file (which IIRC is located in the 'module' folder of the mod in Documents/Bioware/Dragon Age/Addins).

Info on the string to edit is in this thread... it sez to use the toolset, but I always used pyGFF. (YMMV.)

Edited by theskymoves