Skyrim SE Freezing (permanent "not-responding") 30~ seconds into gameplay.

riku34

I've tried everything i could think of.

My install is clean.

I have no mods.

Verified game files.

Uninstalled and reinstalled dozens of time on multiple different drives.

Made sure my screen is running 60.

Attempted the touch keyboard thing.

Disabled g-sync and reset all settings to default.

Checked for strange programs running that might conflict.

I tried using all the fixes on Bethesda's site.

I tried setting my sound preferences to 16 bit CD.

I have tried using SKSE64, and the unofficial skyrim patch.

Nothing seems to work.

Some more information:

I used to play skyrim SE 1 or 2 years ago with and without mods. it always worked without issue. I'm familiar with loot and using mod managers. but thats besides the point. my skyrim SE install is clean. I'm on a new save. around 30 seconds to 2 minutes in, my game will always crash roughly in that time frame.

My frames are buttery smooth. my gpu isn't overheating, nothing is overclocked.

My specs are well above the recommended. Again I used to run this some time ago flawlessly. beat the game with 60~ hours clocked with AND without mods.

I installed classic skyrim and tested it, and it runs fine.

i also have Skyrim VR and it runs fine as well, however I currently have it uninstalled.

One thing to note that seems... odd in behavior. If i constantly press the escape button to bring up the menu in-game every 2 seconds or so, the game doesn't crash. as soon as i stop, close the menu and let the game continue playing it once again crashes in anywhere from 10 - 30 seconds. it does not seem to matter where i am in the world. the crashes still happen. when the crash happens the game will stop, the screen with blink black once, then continue to stay unresponsive. i cannot close it unless i kill it in task manager. voices stop speaking, however all background ambiance and music continue playing. It NEVER does a "CTD" it is always a solid freeze.

I am absolutely stumped. if anyone has any ideas, i'd love some help.

Update - i rechecked. all Bethesda games seemingly are artifacting (triangles and odd stuff shooting around the 3d space) and crashing after a minute or so. this is odd however. i can run other graphically intense games such as battlefield 1 and the witcher 3 with no issues. i can even set Programs like blender and maya to render frames for hours on end with no artifacts or crashing.

Edit #2: solved the issue. for reference i was using and am still using a gtx 1060 6gb. i fixed it by under-clocking. odd that'd do it. every bit of this behavior speaks of a dying gpu, but at the same time, i run games way more demanding than skyrim all the time. its a mystery to me. lol

Edited by riku34

• 1 year later...

Edit #2: solved the issue. for reference i was using and am still using a gtx 1060 6gb. i fixed it by under-clocking. odd that'd do it. every bit of this behavior speaks of a dying gpu, but at the same time, i run games way more demanding than skyrim all the time. its a mystery to me. lol

It's not you it's the game, Morrowind to Fallout 76 all use the same net immerse/creation engine and it's always been unstable like this.

Also I also have a 1060 6gb will you tell me what you under clocked to?

Edited by StrayHALOMAN