Rsetting a couple of quests through Creation Kit.

Brotherofcats

Hello all. I have a problem with a run of Fallout 4 that I have been playing for about two hundred and twenty hours (lots of mods, the first playthrough took over two thousand hours. So, needless to say, I have a well established character, level 41 with lots of perks and really good equipment. The problem happened when I noticed that the quest Taking Independence wasn't kicking off, even though I had 21 settlements. So I used a console command to advance the quest. Now, I have used the console in every Bethesda game I have ever had that allowed such (started off playing Arena). And never had a problem, so I guess one was due. The quest wouldn't start, and whenever I talked with Preston all I got were quests to help settlements or found new ones. Read somewhere that starting the next quest in line would sometimes fire the first quest as well. Bad advice, as I took out Big Guns as well. Used the SQO command and saw that every stage on both quests were now dormant. I found a save game where they still worked, but that was forty-six hours back (That would be over sixty now since I kept playing). One gamer put up a tutorial on how to make a small mod through FO4Edit. Good enough, and I made that mod. Only problem was, the quest he was working on had a Run Once tag that he unchecked, which neither Taking Independence nor Big Guns does (Not sure why they had different setups).
So I started looking into Creation Kit, got some advice, and watched a tutorial on Youtube. After the tutorial I am completely lost. I think the advice I was given was to set a button to start off a quest stage, but do I need to do that for all the stages in the quest. I would assume that Taking Independence only needs the stages where I tell Preston I have already taking the Castle, and the fix the radio and get the garrison stages. But I'm just not sure. Any good videos out there that can explain it simply and clearly so I can do this? If it's even possible.

I would try creating a mod that removes the quests completely, run the game with this mod loaded, and then save your game, close the game, and disable the plugin, then start the game from this saved game.

I think that would remove them from the saved game, therefore when you load your saved game without this mod they will be at a initial state.

Taking independence is kicked by a number of different quest conditions and variables.

Workshop Ownership Utilities includes a function to help advance them:

"Running this function also bumps the MinutemenCentralQuest to update recruitment quest based progress (MinutemenRecruitmentAvailable + MinutemenOwnedSettlements) as they don't always register, and you end up recruiting a stack of settlements without Taking Independence starting or Form Ranks completing."

Alternatively Fast Start Minutemen includes the scripts to start the quest safely from a standing start.

I would try creating a mod that removes the quests completely, run the game with this mod loaded, and then save your game, close the game, and disable the plugin, then start the game from this saved game.

I think that would remove them from the saved game, therefore when you load your saved game without this mod they will be at a initial state.

Any tutorials out there on how to do that? If it worked, this would be ideal. I know how to make a small mod, but have no idea how to go about removing a quest.

Taking independence is kicked by a number of different quest conditions and variables.

Workshop Ownership Utilities includes a function to help advance them:

"Running this function also bumps the MinutemenCentralQuest to update recruitment quest based progress (MinutemenRecruitmentAvailable + MinutemenOwnedSettlements) as they don't always register, and you end up recruiting a stack of settlements without Taking Independence starting or Form Ranks completing."

Alternatively Fast Start Minutemen includes the scripts to start the quest safely from a standing start.

Just tried Fast Start Minutemen, but it shut down immediately with the message that quests have advanced too far. And I have the requisite number of settlements (actually have 22, and all are registered as Minuteman settlements). So the Workshop mod really isn't going to work. Thanks for the suggestions, though. I was really hoping it could be corrected so easily without my having to learn scripting. Addendum. Tried the Workshop mod, and while it had a lot of interesting features, it wouldn't reset or complete the Minutemen quests. I communicated with SKK50, who said that once a quest has run it is not recoverable. But others are saying that it can be done with mods or scripting. I guess I'll just have to keep trying.

You may well OWN the right number of workshops, but they may not be REGISTERED with the central scripts to advance the quests. Quick test if you don't want to run the update function:

Console [ show MinutemenOwnedSettlements ] what number do you get ?

Console [ sqv MinutemenCentralQuest ] what stage it it at ?

Any tutorials out there on how to do that? If it worked, this would be ideal. I know how to make a small mod, but have no idea how to go about removing a quest.

That's pretty easy, just open the CK with Fallout4.esm loaded, search for the quest you want to remove and right click and "delete", save the plugin and you are done. It may cause problems, but doesn't hurt trying. After you created a saved game and disabled this plugin you should get those quest in a initial state, at this point you could move to the proper stages using the mod of SKK or using the console.